Ethanol on the ropes?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Not yet...but I have my fingers crossed. Ethanol (from corn) is an economic and environmental disaster....except for "Big Ag".

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Not yet...but I have my fingers crossed. Ethanol (from corn) is an economic and environmental disaster....except for "Big Ag".

Soon to join the HUGE list of federal pork projects to be discontinued once they proved to be federal pork projects?

glhs837

Power with Control
Couldn't happen to a nicer fuel :) Only here would we take perfectly good food and pay extra to turn it into a crappy fuel that causes millions in damages tro perfectly good equipment......

b23hqb

PREMO Member

Unfortunately big corp ag, by burning our food and feed, has not lowered the cost of transportation, has caused food and meat prices to skyrocket, while at the same time driving many mom and pop farms farms and ranches out of business. Progress is good, but it can also hurt.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Unfortunately big corp ag, by burning our food and feed, has not lowered the cost of transportation, has caused food and meat prices to skyrocket, while at the same time driving many mom and pop farms farms and ranches out of business. Progress is good, but it can also hurt.

The ethanol program for fuel was never about progress.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
The ethanol program for fuel was never about progress.

I didn't say that, and I tend to agree with you. It's an idea and practice that goes way back to the mid 1850's that has, and will have it's place as a fuel additive/alternative.

Saying that, it is also a political and financial football as well, and definitely factors into big oil and Wall Street.

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I didn't say that. It's an idea and practice that goes way back to the mid 1850's that has, and will have it's place as a fuel additive/alternative.

Saying that, it is also a political and financial football as well, and definitely factors into big oil and Wall Street.

Perhaps I am wrong about my conclusions but, it is my understanding that methanol is FAR superior in every way to ethanol but lacks the control mechanism corn provides in terms of price manipulation. As I understand it, ethanol, in every way, is a regressive choice. Your post suggested ethanol represented progress. That is simply not how I understand ethanol as a fuel.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Perhaps I am wrong about my conclusions but, it is my understanding that methanol is FAR superior in every way to ethanol but lacks the control mechanism corn provides in terms of price manipulation. As I understand it, ethanol, in every way, is a regressive choice. Your post suggested ethanol represented progress. That is simply not how I understand ethanol as a fuel.

I don't have a preference for ethanol one way or the other. As far as progress goes, I just said it is what it is.

glhs837

Power with Control
Ethanols few benfits are far outweighed by it's many drawbacks. Once you remove the hippie concept of "Ohhhhh, wow, like corns powering my Mystery Machine, man!!!!" then it stops making sense to burn gas to grow crops, and more to process that food into ethanol, which has less energy density and a higher cost per gallon than the fuel you used to make it.

That would be nice. My truck is fine with it, but smaller things, leaf blower etc. are always getting damaged.