Garage door torsion spring broke last night

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
Where can I get a new spring to replace it myself? The only place I knew of that had parts for the DIY guy was Parker Door in Waldorf but thier sales office is closed due to no one to man it. I did not see torsion springs at Lowes or Home Depot. I live in Mechanicsville and travel from DC so I can hit a place on the way home or go further south.

limblips

PREMO Member
Where can I get a new spring to replace it myself? The only place I knew of that had parts for the DIY guy was Parker Door in Waldorf but thier sales office is closed due to no one to man it. I did not see torsion springs at Lowes or Home Depot. I live in Mechanicsville and travel from DC so I can hit a place on the way home or go further south.

Unless you have the proper tools and experience don't try to replace a torsion spring. They have a preload that can inflict serious injury if you don't know what you are doing. I am a die hard DIYer but I won't touch a torsion spring.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

Convert your door to coil springs, not hard to do and a lot safer than torsion springs to DIY..

RPMDAD

Most places would recommend changing the pair out. I know there are some vids on youtube on how to do it. I wouldn't try it myself have always called in a pro.

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
I have changed a torsion spring before moving to Maryland and have the spring bars (tools). I have also installed an entire door with side springs. This particular torsion set-up is with one spring per door, I plan to upgrade all 3 my doors with dual torsion springs and high lift tracks for the 12' ceiling. I just need to find a place to buy the springs. Thanks for all the cautions though, it is a scary job to do. :)

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I have changed a torsion spring before moving to Maryland and have the spring bars (tools). I have also installed an entire door with side springs. This particular torsion set-up is with one spring per door, I plan to upgrade all 3 my doors with dual torsion springs and high lift tracks for the 12' ceiling. I just need to find a place to buy the springs. Thanks for all the cautions though, it is a scary job to do. :)

In that case come on over and fix my doors..

I have torsion springs, and just don't want to mess with it.. But when the door closes it hits the mounting hardware, and the door opener pushes the door open again..

What's the point of having a garage door opener if I have to be at the door every time I close it??

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Unless you have the proper tools and experience don't try to replace a torsion spring. They have a preload that can inflict serious injury if you don't know what you are doing. I am a die hard DIYer but I won't touch a torsion spring.

Darn right. You can easily be maimed or killed if you do it wrong. The tension is tremendous on those things. Hire an experienced GD installer.

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
In that case come on over and fix my doors..

I have torsion springs, and just don't want to mess with it.. But when the door closes it hits the mounting hardware, and the door opener pushes the door open again..

What's the point of having a garage door opener if I have to be at the door every time I close it??[/QUO

Sounds like your torsion springs are out of balance. The door should remain evenly at any point of opening/closing when manually operated. Unfortunately, I only risk my own life and limb or damage to my property while doing DIY stuff. So, I guess you'll have to call a pro! :)

Last edited:

TPD

the poor dad

I can get them for you but I'm sure you don't want to drive to Ridge! Go on the True Value website and search torsion spring. $60 each. Have them shipped to your local True Value for free or just call them and see if they stock them. I don't stock the torsion springs - just the extension springs.

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
I can get them for you but I'm sure you don't want to drive to Ridge! Go on the True Value website and search torsion spring. $60 each. Have them shipped to your local True Value for free or just call them and see if they stock them. I don't stock the torsion springs - just the extension springs.

Thanks, I ended up ordering some from Home Depot for $45 each, they'll be in Friday.

glhs837

Power with Control
Darn right. You can easily be maimed or killed if you do it wrong. The tension is tremendous on those things. Hire an experienced GD installer.

You can be easily maimed or killed by many things you do every day, but you still do them, it's risk management. If you feel comfortable and have the tools and skills, why not?