Fear?

hotcoffee

Do you fear death?

I don't but I'm wondering if I'm the only one looking forward to meeting Jesus face to face and starting my next great adventure.

:coffee:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I do not fear death. I think things that are inevitable and you can do nothing about aren't worth worrying about - they should probably be planned for instead of worried about.

HC, I haven't been following that other thread but I heard about your situation. :huggy: I don't know what to say other than to wish you the best of luck in making every moment count.

hotcoffee

I do not fear death. I think things that are inevitable and you can do nothing about aren't worth worrying about - they should probably be planned for instead of worried about.

HC, I haven't been following that other thread but I heard about your situation. :huggy: I don't know what to say other than to wish you the best of luck in making every moment count.

Thanks.... It's good to have your forums to keep my mind occupied.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Do you fear death? :

When it comes, I suspect I will be ####ing terrified. When I was feeling really physically rotten a few months ago, hurt everywhere, stressed, there were several times the thought of death was a comfort. Now, business, the light at the end of the tunnel is looking more like light and not a train, I'm eating better, stopped drinking awful beer, drinking much better beer, ripping it up with the band, all my kids doing pretty well, new baby in the world, back to the gym and have an amazing woman in my life if death comes now I will ####ing rip his head off and obliterate him and simply refuse to go, terrified and fighting for my life.

If you've got more to leave for, having fun, excited, it makes sense to me to fear death. Not so much if, well, life is pretty sucky.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I'm not sure it's so much fear as it is there are still a lot of things I want to do. I'd say I'm not quite ready.

hotcoffee

I'm not afraid of death. I understand those who don't want to leave yet.... because of the grief loved ones will have to go through..... or because they know their children need them....

Here's a safe link to some of the things the Bible has to say about death.

Here's one of my favorite stories about death.

John 8:49 “I am not possessed by a demon,” said Jesus, “but I honor my Father and you dishonor me. 50 I am not seeking glory for myself; but there is one who seeks it, and he is the judge. 51 Very truly I tell you, whoever obeys my word will never see death.

52 At this they exclaimed, “Now we know that you are demon-possessed! Abraham died and so did the prophets, yet you say that whoever obeys your word will never taste death. 53 Are you greater than our father Abraham? He died, and so did the prophets. Who do you think you are?”

54 Jesus replied, “If I glorify myself, my glory means nothing. My Father, whom you claim as your God, is the one who glorifies me. 55 Though you do not know him, I know him. If I said I did not, I would be a liar like you, but I do know him and obey his word. 56 Your father Abraham rejoiced at the thought of seeing my day; he saw it and was glad.”​

hotcoffee

Luke 23:39 One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: “Aren’t you the Messiah? Save yourself and us!”

40 But the other criminal rebuked him. “Don’t you fear God,” he said, “since you are under the same sentence? 41 We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.”

42 Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.[a]”

43 Jesus answered him, “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.”

Heaven is where Jesus grew up! Wow.... it's like Jesus was bringing a friend home with Him when He finished His work here! Some of you will have loved ones coming home for the holidays and some of those loved ones will be bringing friends home with them.... Jesus is bringing this person home with Him.... how cool is that!

Jesus gives us a glimpse of heaven in the last verse.... I've been thinking about what heaven is really like.

He says it's Paradise. Paradise is first described in Genesis 2.

This was a garden named Eden. This was the first in the line of every plant and animal God created. It was perfect. Every tiny thing, consider the grains of pollen that God Himself created to cause the garden to continue to grow.

Now consider.... God created these plants and animals and shared them on earth. I believe the garden in Heaven will be even more spectacular!

In the same chapter, the Bible says man was created to care for everything in the garden. That means God created man to work. I'm sure there were ants and worms to aerate the garden. If you have ever enjoyed working in a garden.... you should understand that man must have enjoyed the spender and beauty all around him.... working would have been a pleasure. The ground was soft and subtle. It must have been an easy and enjoyable task.

So there are a lot of "jobs" in heaven.... gardeners will enjoy working in the garden... cooks will enjoy creating the best dishes.... musicians will play the best instruments.... singers will sing the best songs.... carpenters will work with the best tools and the best materials.... I'm sure you have heard "if you do something you like to do... you will never work a day in your life.

Imagine a job with no office politics.... imagine working with others who love what they do as much as you do....

Heaven must be a spectacular place..... Heaven must be paradise....

Last edited:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
No, I do not fear death. Nor am I looking forward to its arrival. G-d doesn't want that of you.

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

onel0126

Bead mumbler
One of my favorites--from the book of Wisdom. This passage is chosen as one of the readings at a lot of Catholic funeral Masses.

But the just man, though he die early, shall be at rest.
For the age that is honorable
comes not with the passing of time,
nor can it be measured in terms of years.
Rather, understanding is the hoary crown for men,
and an unsullied life, the attainment of old age.
He who pleased God was loved;
he who lived among sinners was transported–
Snatched away, lest wickedness pervert his mind
or deceit beguile his soul;
For the witchery of paltry things obscures what is right
and the whirl of desire transforms the innocent mind.
Having become perfect in a short while,
he reached the fullness of a long career;
for his soul was pleasing to the Lord,
therefore he sped him out of the midst of wickedness.
But the people saw and did not understand,
nor did they take this into account.
Because grace and mercy are with God’s holy ones, one and God’s care is with the elect.s,
and God’s care is with the elect.wickedness.
But the people saw and did not understand,
nor did they take this into account.
Because grace and mercy are with God’s holy ones,
and God’s care is with the elect.

I've been dead already and it's not so bad. I prefer, however, to live as it's infinitely more interesting.

Religion was invented by man primarily because he needed a way to defeat death. I don't begrudge anyone's comfort if religion makes the psychological and physical process of death more bearable for them.

But I will always contest the facets of religion that have inflicted, and continue to inflict, great atrocities on the living of the world.

I've been dead already and it's not so bad. I prefer, however, to live as it's infinitely more interesting.

Religion was invented by man primarily because he needed a way to defeat death. I don't begrudge anyone's comfort if religion makes the psychological and physical process of death more bearable for them.

But I will always contest the facets of religion that have inflicted, and continue to inflict, great atrocities on the living of the world.

Im going to add that any religion that promotes the after life as the better place to be than this one beautiful, though short, life is brain washing at its finest. Its one thing to take comfort in something going on after life but to look forward to death, I have to ask- are you kidding me or yourself? Its sad to not want to stay here with the actual living when you only have stories to go on as for whats next after this one life. To get people convinced that death is somehow ok, or better- or anything beyond simply natural- is, IMO- a way to control the masses, not to give comfort. Welcoming death or wanting it- akin to mental disorder if nothing else.

Im going to add that any religion that promotes the after life as the better place to be than this one beautiful, though short, life is brain washing at its finest. Its one thing to take comfort in something going on after life but to look forward to death, I have to ask- are you kidding me or yourself? Its sad to not want to stay here with the actual living when you only have stories to go on as for whats next after this one life. To get people convinced that death is somehow ok, or better- or anything beyond simply natural- is, IMO- a way to control the masses, not to give comfort. Welcoming death or wanting it- akin to mental disorder if nothing else.
See... I completely disagree with your perspective. Hotcoffee isn't choosing death her terminal illness is completely out of her control. That her complete faith in a peaceful and joyous afterlife is a genuine comfort for her regardless as to what the actuality will be is a win/win. If she's right she'll be enjoying the next part of her journey in peace. If when she dies that's it... lights out she is no more then so what if her last conscious thought was one that comforted her. So what? More power to her and may she remain at peace here there and everywhere and yes even nowhere. :yay:

b23hqb

PREMO Member
See... I completely disagree with your perspective. Hotcoffee isn't choosing death her terminal illness is completely out of her control. That her complete faith in a peaceful and joyous afterlife is a genuine comfort for her regardless as to what the actuality will be is a win/win. If she's right she'll be enjoying the next part of her journey in peace. If when she dies that's it... lights out she is no more then so what if her last conscious thought was one that comforted her. So what? More power to her and may she remain at peace here there and everywhere and yes even nowhere. :yay:

Completely agree with your statement. As a Christian, I know that whatever happens, whenever it happens, is all part of God's plan for me, and every other individual Christian. Until that time, we live life to the fullest, and enjoy what the Lord has provided for us. Once we depart this short, temporary existence, those we leave behind can, and will, have solace and comfort knowing we will be in a better place for eternity. We can just hope and pray for the salvation of our loved ones and friends, knowing we will be reunited in a future time.

HC, don't know who you are now, but in eternity we can look each other up.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I was very close to death once..after a pretty bad accident. I was not knocked out or otherwise rendered unable to recognize my situation (something I paid for soon after when all the pain kicked in..but that's another matter) . I'll never forget the somewhat calm feeling that came over me...a realization...that I can only describe by the thought that went through my head: "Well..son of a gun..so this it what its like to die..."

Having that frame of reference is, I guess, helpful. Or not..

hotcoffee

Completely agree with your statement. As a Christian, I know that whatever happens, whenever it happens, is all part of God's plan for me, and every other individual Christian. Until that time, we live life to the fullest, and enjoy what the Lord has provided for us. Once we depart this short, temporary existence, those we leave behind can, and will, have solace and comfort knowing we will be in a better place for eternity. We can just hope and pray for the salvation of our loved ones and friends, knowing we will be reunited in a future time.

HC, don't know who you are now, but in eternity we can look each other up.

There are so many great posts in this chain. I was tempted to quote them all and say thanks for posting them.....

Your posting Proxima bothered me all day. If you are not a christian.... you are lucky that you were sent back so that you could choose to get it right. The only way to heaven is faith in Jesus. If you are a christian.... I can't imagine why you would have come back.

My mother believed in reincarnation. I asked her once why she would want to come back.... her reply was "to get it right".

Non-believers seem to be more than willing to say Heaven is a hoax or religion is made up to make the unbearable bearable.

So... If I'm wrong and Heaven doesn't exist, what have I lost? If I'm right the non-believers who mock the Lord with their ignorant rants and refusal to accept the Christ in their lives.... loose big time.... cause they become only worm food....

Heaven has nothing to do with religion.... Heaven is for those with Faith....

There are so many great posts in this chain. I was tempted to quote them all and say thanks for posting them.....

Your posting Proxima bothered me all day. If you are not a christian.... you are lucky that you were sent back so that you could choose to get it right. The only way to heaven is faith in Jesus. If you are a christian.... I can't imagine why you would have come back.

My mother believed in reincarnation. I asked her once why she would want to come back.... her reply was "to get it right".

Non-believers seem to be more than willing to say Heaven is a hoax or religion is made up to make the unbearable bearable.

So... If I'm wrong and Heaven doesn't exist, what have I lost? If I'm right the non-believers who mock the Lord with their ignorant rants and refusal to accept the Christ in their lives.... loose big time.... cause they become only worm food....

Heaven has nothing to do with religion.... Heaven is for those with Faith....

So you seem to agree its a personal choice but yet you denigrate those of us who don't share your belief. I find that interesting.