Maryland doctor accused of assisting suicide loses license

Misfit

Lawful neutral
http://www.wjla.com/articles/2014/1...icide-loses-license-110188.html#ixzz3NP5Yabki

BALTIMORE (WJLA) - The medical license of a Maryland doctor well known for his role in a national right-to-die organization has been revoked by the Maryland Board of Physicians over charges that he assisted in the suicide of six people.

Dr. Lawrence Egbert is accused of helping six Marylanders end their lives as part of the Final Exit Network, an organization that offers help to terminally-ill patients who want to commit suicide. The board of physicians allege that Egbert was a gatekeeper for the program, determining which applicants would be allowed into the network and given access to its services.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Not necessarily. You can believe in the organization and what they stand for without actually committing a crime. Oh wait... has King POTUS pushed through his thought police policy yet...:eyebrow:

Yes, it's called the IRS :)
And this investigation would have been under the reign of Prince Martin of O'Malley.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Not necessarily. You can believe in the organization and what they stand for without actually committing a crime. Oh wait... has King POTUS pushed through his thought police policy yet...:eyebrow:

and while thoughts are not illegal (yet), it certainly puts up a red flag and gets the attention of your enemies. If somebody wanted to make a statement, and was looking to target someone for an investigation, his known activities and associations would have made him a good target.

Wrkn4livn

Terrible man..until the day, and hoping it doesn't come, you'd pray you had his number
Well, God obvi wanted this person to move on to a better existence. And, he put this Dr. Here to help.
I hope you don't get a terrible, life ending disease that burdens your family, and causes horrendous pain and suffering that will only end when you die.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
Terrible man..until the day, and hoping it doesn't come, you'd pray you had his number

If you have EVER had to sit at a bedside and watch a person STRUGGLING for breath, having a CPAK FORCING MAX litters of O2 for two weeks, protocols changed to just care and comfort, you might change your mind!!! It is not fun :bawl:

luvmygdaughters

I have always said we treat our pets better than we do our family when it comes to this kind of thing. It broke my heart to do it, but I had to put my dog down after 18 years. She was in pain, her quality of life was non existent and I just knew it was time for her to go. Why the law will not allow the same for the terminally ill is ridiculous. If you have your wits about you and decide you do not want to linger on with the help of drugs and medical apparatus, you should be able to do so with the assistance of a qualified doctor. Speaking from experience, you do not want to see your loved ones laying in a hospital bed suffering and knowing that its not going to get any better.

MarieB

If you have EVER had to sit at a bedside and watch a person STRUGGLING for breath, having a CPAK FORCING MAX litters of O2 for two weeks, protocols changed to just care and comfort, you might change your mind!!! It is not fun :bawl:

"Assisted suicide" happens everyday with the help of docs who aren't sick, attentions whores

mamatutu

mama to two
I have always said we treat our pets better than we do our family when it comes to this kind of thing. It broke my heart to do it, but I had to put my dog down after 18 years. She was in pain, her quality of life was non existent and I just knew it was time for her to go. Why the law will not allow the same for the terminally ill is ridiculous. If you have your wits about you and decide you do not want to linger on with the help of drugs and medical apparatus, you should be able to do so with the assistance of a qualified doctor. Speaking from experience, you do not want to see your loved ones laying in a hospital bed suffering and knowing that its not going to get any better.

Very well said. Makes one wonder what our world is coming to.

glhs837

Power with Control
Well, God obvi wanted this person to move on to a better existence. And, he put this Dr. Here to help.
I hope you don't get a terrible, life ending disease that burdens your family, and causes horrendous pain and suffering that will only end when you die.

I think you and others missed that point of Kins post entirely. I think Kin was pointing out that a lot of folks might think this man has done terrible things, but that that their attitudes might change were they in situation where a loved one was in such a condition. I have seen a few people in my life who were ready to go, no hope of regaining anything resembling an agony free life. But still the system keeps them going past any reasonable point. The "stop feeding" thing has to be the most horrendous medical practice even undertaken.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
yup, care and comfort is a very UNCOMFORTABLE thing for family to watch ;-((( Please just give an EXTRA large dose of juice and cut them loose...

DEEKAYPEE8569

I didn't witness what you describe, but I did watch my Dad rapidly deteriorate just weeks after being told he was 'terminal.' :bawl:

Sorry.....:offtopic:.....please continue

kinmd

I guess I wasn't clear, I agree with you, My sister died at 45 from breast cancer that had spread to her spine. She weighed 65 lbs and was in constant pain before she died