It wasn't about Christians...

PsyOps

Pixelated
It was about white Christians...

[video=youtube;OqbPMxvEGH0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqbPMxvEGH0[/video]

There was no religious/Christian motivation behind slavery or Jim Crow. It was race. This is code to blacks in comparing WHITE CHRISTIANITY to Islamic Jihad.

Hijinx

There was no religious/Christian motivation behind slavery or Jim Crow. It was race. This is code to blacks in comparing WHITE CHRISTIANITY to Islamic Jihad.

I was also wondering what Christianity had to do with the slavery issue in the United States prior to the Civil War.
Perhaps you are right. It was white Christianity he was referring to.

When he said slavery I thought WTF?

I never in my life heard slavery being justified in the name of Jesus Christ.
Maybe Jeremiah Wright taught that to Obama.

Last edited:

When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property. (Exodus 21:20-21)

Christianity has a long history of using biblical passages to justify their attrocities. Obviously, the same is true of Muslims with the koran.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I was also wondering what Christianity had to do with the slavery issue in the United States prior to the Civil War.
Perhaps you are right. It was white Christianity he was referring to.

When he said slavery I thought WTF?

I never in my life heard slavery being justified in the name of Jesus Christ.
Maybe Jeremiah Wright taught that to Obama.

Please say that is just kidding around. You can't be that ignorant of history.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Christianity has a long history of using biblical passages to justify their attrocities. Obviously, the same is true of Muslims with the koran.

"history" being the operative word there. It's been so long since the last crusade that I barely remember it. Good times...good times...

PsyOps

Pixelated

That is not the world we live in today. To compare what happened 800 years ago to what's happening today doesn't remove the threats we face today; and radical Christianity is NOT the threat.

And that isn't what the thread is about anyway... it's about Obama, once again, making things about race.

FollowTheMoney

You're saying Christianity was THE MOTIVATING REASON for slavery / for Jim Crow?
Money and greed was THE MOTIVATING REASON for slavery.

"Jews took an active part in the Dutch colonial slave trade; indeed, the bylaws of the Recife and Mauricia congregations (1648) included an imposta (Jewish tax) of five soldos for each Negro slave a Brazilian Jew purchased from the West Indies Company. Slave auctions were postponed if they fell on a Jewish holiday. In Curacao in the seventeenth century, as well as in the British colonies of Barbados and Jamaica in the eighteenth century, Jewish merchants played a major role in the slave trade. In fact, in all the American colonies, whether French (Martinique), British, or Dutch, Jewish merchants frequently dominated."

"This was no less true on the North American mainland, where during the eighteenth century Jews participated in the 'triangular trade' that brought slaves from Africa to the West Indies and there exchanged them for molasses, which in turn was taken to New England and converted into rum for sale in Africa. Isaac Da Costa of Charleston in the 1750's, David Franks of Philadelphia in the 1760's, and Aaron Lopez of Newport in the late 1760's and early 1770's dominated Jewish slave trading on the American continent."

Hijinx

When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property. (Exodus 21:20-21)

Not a Bible expert, but isn't that old Testament before Christ?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Wait. What? Maybe I've awoken to the wrong planet this morning. This is earth, yes?

Christianity was the sole reason for keeping slaves, like the Koran says strike them [unbelievers] at their necks and behead them

Not a Bible expert, but isn't that old Testament before Christ?

And I'm pretty sure Christian Americans, for the 1st 100 years of America's existence, enslaved people long after Christ, and cited biblical passages as justification for this enslavement.

The following is an excerpt from Abraham Lincoln's 2nd inaugural address...

"One-eighth of the whole population were colored slaves, not distributed generally over the Union, but localized in the southern part of it. These slaves constituted a peculiar and powerful interest. All knew that this interest was somehow the cause of the war. To strengthen, perpetuate, and extend this interest was the object for which the insurgents would rend the Union even by war, while the Government claimed no right to do more than to restrict the territorial enlargement of it. Neither party expected for the war the magnitude or the duration which it has already attained. Neither anticipated that the cause of the conflict might cease with or even before the conflict itself should cease. Each looked for an easier triumph, and a result less fundamental and astounding. Both read the same Bible and pray to the same God, and each invokes His aid against the other. It may seem strange that any men should dare to ask a just God's assistance in wringing their bread from the sweat of other men's faces, but let us judge not, that we be not judged. The prayers of both could not be answered. That of neither has been answered fully. The Almighty has His own purposes. "Woe unto the world because of offenses; for it must needs be that offenses come, but woe to that man by whom the offense cometh." If we shall suppose that American slavery is one of those offenses which, in the providence of God, must needs come, but which, having continued through His appointed time, He now wills to remove, and that He gives to both North and South this terrible war as the woe due to those by whom the offense came, shall we discern therein any departure from those divine attributes which the believers in a living God always ascribe to Him? Fondly do we hope, fervently do we pray, that this mighty scourge of war may speedily pass away. Yet, if God wills that it continue until all the wealth piled by the bondsman's two hundred and fifty years of unrequited toil shall be sunk, and until every drop of blood drawn with the lash shall be paid by another drawn with the sword, as was said three thousand years ago, so still it must be said "the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether."

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Money and greed was THE MOTIVATING REASON for slavery.

"Jews took an active part in the Dutch colonial slave trade; indeed, the bylaws of the Recife and Mauricia congregations (1648) included an imposta (Jewish tax) of five soldos for each Negro slave a Brazilian Jew purchased from the West Indies Company. Slave auctions were postponed if they fell on a Jewish holiday. In Curacao in the seventeenth century, as well as in the British colonies of Barbados and Jamaica in the eighteenth century, Jewish merchants played a major role in the slave trade. In fact, in all the American colonies, whether French (Martinique), British, or Dutch, Jewish merchants frequently dominated."

"This was no less true on the North American mainland, where during the eighteenth century Jews participated in the 'triangular trade' that brought slaves from Africa to the West Indies and there exchanged them for molasses, which in turn was taken to New England and converted into rum for sale in Africa. Isaac Da Costa of Charleston in the 1750's, David Franks of Philadelphia in the 1760's, and Aaron Lopez of Newport in the late 1760's and early 1770's dominated Jewish slave trading on the American continent."

Those evil joos again. Must keep you awake at night worrying...:lmao:

Hijinx

And I'm pretty sure Christian Americans, for the 1st 100 years of America's existence, enslaved people long after Christ, and cited biblical passages as justification for this enslavement.

The following is an excerpt from Abraham Lincoln's 2nd inaugural address...

"One-eighth of the whole population were colored slaves, not distributed generally over the Union, but localized in the southern part of it. These slaves constituted a peculiar and powerful interest. All knew that this interest was somehow the cause of the war. To strengthen, perpetuate, and extend this interest was the object for which the insurgents would rend the Union even by war, while the Government claimed no right to do more than to restrict the territorial enlargement of it. Neither party expected for the war the magnitude or the duration which it has already attained. Neither anticipated that the cause of the conflict might cease with or even before the conflict itself should cease. Each looked for an easier triumph, and a result less fundamental and astounding. Both read the same Bible and pray to the same God, and each invokes His aid against the other. It may seem strange that any men should dare to ask a just God's assistance in wringing their bread from the sweat of other men's faces, but let us judge not, that we be not judged. The prayers of both could not be answered. That of neither has been answered fully. The Almighty has His own purposes. "Woe unto the world because of offenses; for it must needs be that offenses come, but woe to that man by whom the offense cometh." If we shall suppose that American slavery is one of those offenses which, in the providence of God, must needs come, but which, having continued through His appointed time, He now wills to remove, and that He gives to both North and South this terrible war as the woe due to those by whom the offense came, shall we discern therein any departure from those divine attributes which the believers in a living God always ascribe to Him? Fondly do we hope, fervently do we pray, that this mighty scourge of war may speedily pass away. Yet, if God wills that it continue until all the wealth piled by the bondsman's two hundred and fifty years of unrequited toil shall be sunk, and until every drop of blood drawn with the lash shall be paid by another drawn with the sword, as was said three thousand years ago, so still it must be said "the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether."

Praying to God for help in winning a war is a far different thing than saying Christ justified slavery.
I realize you cannot understand that.
Your head is too far up Obama's azz.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Wait. What? Maybe I've awoken to the wrong planet this morning. This is earth, yes?

Please show me where there is any evidence that our founders/settlers said "God told me to go get slaves to do God's bidding"?

Obama's moral equivalence has validity?

Last edited:

PsyOps

Pixelated

But not in the name of Christ. As you stated already, slavery was about money and cheap labor. There was an innate racial component to it; but slavery did not exist in the name of Jesus. When a slave owner whipped or murdered his slave I am certain he didn't do it yelling "I kill you in the name of Jesus" while he was doing it.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Please show me where there is any evidence that our founders/settlers said "God told me to go get slaves to do God's bidding"?

Obama's moral equivalence has validity?

Obama has one validity; Obama.

As for the other, I can only guess at your intent but, I know damn well you know that Christianity was used as both an authorizing force for slavery and a damning of slavery. We also know which came first. This isn't a knock on Christianity. Far from it but, Christ wasn't the force that decided the issue; men arguing the Constitutionality against it were.

This_person

Obama has one validity; Obama.

As for the other, I can only guess at your intent but, I know damn well you know that Christianity was used as both an authorizing force for slavery and a damning of slavery. We also know which came first. This isn't a knock on Christianity. Far from it but, Christ wasn't the force that decided the issue; men arguing the Constitutionality against it were.
Of course Christianity was the driving force behind slavery. Long before the birth of America and still to this day the Roman Catholic church and Church of England kept and keep slaves. Jesus Himself talked of the slaves he kept throughout the New Testament.

Oh, wait, none of that is true.

No, I think what is true is that some Africans sold some other Africans, eventually making it to some Europeans, eventually making it to some North Americans. When someone said, "Bubba, sumpting 'bout dis don' feel raht", wise Bubba said, "heck, I foun' the word slave in tha Bible, so it mus' be ok." Thus the Christian justification for slavery began.

Slavery was not decided by the Civil War, state's rights was decided. It was determined that the states are subject to the federal government and not vice versa. Slavery was decided by a constitutional amendment.