How NJ saved civilization: Taylor Ham

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
AKA Pork Roll. Sugar cured and hickory smoked spiced pork.

The origins of Taylor ham are as shrouded in mystery as, well, the contents of the famed "sausage-like meat product" (thanks, Wikipedia) itself.
Heralded as "the heroin of pork," Taylor ham, known in parts of central and south Jersey as pork roll, is credited to John Taylor, a Hamilton Square native who invented it -- or perhaps just perfected it -- in 1856.

According to the host of the Travel Channel's "Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern!," pork roll may date back to the Revolutionary War, when the Continental Army toted rolls of salted, cured ham from battle to battle. Indeed, a vintage pamphlet touting "that good tasting Taylor Pork Roll" traces packed minced ham to the Battle of Trenton.

yummy

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I had seen pork roll at the grocery store any number of times but it looked gross so it never occurred to me that anyone actually, you know, ate that chit. And I will eat Spam, so that should tell you how loathsome I considered pork roll.

Well! Imagine my surprise! It's quite delicious and a more than acceptable breakfast meat. But still no scrapple because that chit is disgusting.

RPMDAD

My wife turned me on to pork roll years ago, and i was leary at first but it is pretty tasty.

Blister

I enjoyed some delicious Rapa scrapple this morning with slimy side up eggs. Most places slice scrapple too thin and cook it too crisply, need it sliced nice and thick cooked crisp outside and still soft in the middle to truly appreciate it.:drool:
Never tried pork, maybe I will.

Last edited:

RPMDAD

I enjoyed some delicious Rapa scrapple this morning with slimy side up eggs. Most places slice scrapple too thin and cook it too crisply, need it sliced nice and thick cooked crisp outside and still soft in the middle to truly appreciate it.:drool:
Never tried pork, maybe I will.

I do like scrapple, have eaten it since i was a kid. I like it the same way you do, thick and crisp outside and soft in the middle. Sadly i am the only one in our house that eats it now. I like scrapple sandwiches with cheese also.