Ticket

WTH? I just got a speeding ticket from Denver Not my truck, They mixed the Y up with an X.
Haven't been there since July and this was Feb. Cheaper to pay it though than to go fight it. Damn.
Only 400 some miles to sit in court.
Also they must not have looked at vehicle type because it was a light colored SUV

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Can't you just call them and explain what happened? I'll bet they'd be able to get you straightened out without you having to drive to Denver.

Chris0nllyn

This is why politicians like speed cameras.

"It's easier to pay".

What other thing would you simply admit guilt to that you weren't actually guilty of?

TPD

the poor dad
This is a screwed up system, but whenever red light/speed cameras have been discussed on these forums, the majority of you support them......until something like this happens to you.

PeoplesElbow

Local news, they might do a story about it, whenever someone gets egg on their face the situation usually gets resolved really quick.

glhs837

Power with Control
Sure, it's cheaper to pay... *IF* your insurance company doesn't bump your rates.

Your protests of "no phone number" are kinda wimpy - just do a quick web search for the county offices where it was issued. Problem solved.

Start here for some advice:
https://www.google.com/search?q=speeding+camera+ticket+wrong+license+plate

Most places, insurance companies are prohibited from raising rates based on automated enforcement, it gets sticky since they usually cannot ID the driver. And it looks like that is the case in CO, based on this bit on the below linked page. References a question about points from photo tickets.

"No. Photo Speed violations are zero point Traffic Infractions that are not reported to the Department of Motor Vehicles.

And since your link was useless, I'll put this here.

http://www.denvergov.org/police/Pol.../PhotoRadarRedLight/tabid/441407/Default.aspx

A number is given to call for review, but it appears to hint that reviews must be done in person, and you are not even given one by right, only as a courtesy.... wow. Worth calling the numbers, anyway. Since it's clearly not your vehicle. But, if that fails, look into this....

http://www.johnsonlawllc.com/_blog/...nver-Traffic-Camera-Ticket-the-Hidden-Option/

Seems that like a lot of places, they didn't write the law properly, so that if you simply ignore the written citation, and they dont serve you personally, it goes away.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Welcome to Colorado. What's in your wallet?

I'd appeal it. Chesapeake Beach was playing games with its camera a couple years ago. They had it active 24 hours a day, which wasn't correct. When fines from it dropped, a lot, the second year one Town Council member complained about it and wanted to raise the fine.

It nailed me twice at 4AM. My youngest daughter got hit twice the same day in Baltimore at the same place. Going in town in the morning and coming out in the afternoon.

I'm generally in favor of red light cameras.

Vince

Happened to me here in Maryland. I kept calling until I got someone. Finally able to email them a photo of my truck with the plates on it so they could see the ticket was not mine. It took 6 months to clear it up, but they finally came back with a letter saying the ticket wasn't mine. At first when I called them, they wanted me to show up for court. I said, ":bs:, I'm not driving to Baltimore to go to court for a ticket that's not mine. Get me someone on this phone that has some common sense."

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
Welcome to Colorado. What's in your wallet?

I'd appeal it. Chesapeake Beach was playing games with its camera a couple years ago. They had it active 24 hours a day, which wasn't correct. When fines from it dropped, a lot, the second year one Town Council member complained about it and wanted to raise the fine.

It nailed me twice at 4AM. My youngest daughter got hit twice the same day in Baltimore at the same place. Going in town in the morning and coming out in the afternoon.

I'm generally in favor of red light cameras.

Luckily for you, the times of operation and allowed fines are set by MD law, not local governments. As for red light cameras, what if I told you they are of questionable usefulness, based on quite a few studies.You are trading a few bad crashes for many smaller ones. At best, at worst, it becomes a joke as they change them over to stop line and right on red cams to increase revenue, for no increase in safety.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Luckily for you, the times of operation and allowed fines are set by MD law, not local governments. As for red light cameras, what if I told you they are of questionable usefulness, based on quite a few studies.You are trading a few bad crashes for many smaller ones. At best, at worst, it becomes a joke as they change them over to stop line and right on red cams to increase revenue, for no increase in safety.

Oh I know about the hours. As I said, the Town was playing games.

I could likely show you studies about red lights, too. There are a few that , such as RTE 2/260 in Owings where, if you're on 260 going in either direction, you take your life in your hands when you have a green light, especially from traffic heading south on 2. That res light seems to be more of a suggestion than a full stop. I'm not talking people blowing through the change but full red with traffic in the intersection.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Seems that like a lot of places, they didn't write the law properly, so that if you simply ignore the written citation, and they dont serve you personally, it goes away.

:this: The ticket is void if not "personally served" within 90 days. Doesn't cut it if it came in the mail.

glhs837

Power with Control
Oh I know about the hours. As I said, the Town was playing games.

I could likely show you studies about red lights, too. There are a few that , such as RTE 2/260 in Owings where, if you're on 260 going in either direction, you take your life in your hands when you have a green light, especially from traffic heading south on 2. That res light seems to be more of a suggestion than a full stop. I'm not talking people blowing through the change but full red with traffic in the intersection.

And oddly enough, the studies show that the type of red light running most reduced by cameras is the last second runner, the type least likely to cause a bad crash. The ones who sail right through a light that's already been red a while? Those folks are so checked out that a camera doesn't usually make a difference.