Sobriety checkpooint St Patricks day.

glhs837

Power with Control
So, coming back from trying to find the daughter a newish car (not easy to find decent sporty manual transmission cars) the other day. coming back into L-town from the north, see a lot of lights. Was the checkpoint. No kidding, had to be at least 10, maybe as many as 12 vehicles involved. Damn, does a checkpoint really need that many people? Leaving aside the benefit of such, how much overtime was paid out of grant money, could we maybe get a better societal benefit from spending that money some other way?

And, no, I wasn't inconvenienced, they were checking folks going northbound. Just seems silly to have 15 or more LEOs out there doing this.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
So, coming back from trying to find the daughter a newish car (not easy to find decent sporty manual transmission cars) the other day. coming back into L-town from the north, see a lot of lights. Was the checkpoint. No kidding, had to be at least 10, maybe as many as 12 vehicles involved. Damn, does a checkpoint really need that many people? Leaving aside the benefit of such, how much overtime was paid out of grant money, could we maybe get a better societal benefit from spending that money some other way?

And, no, I wasn't inconvenienced, they were checking folks going northbound. Just seems silly to have 15 or more LEOs out there doing this.

Silly why? I mean, once you accept that checkpoints in a free society are a good idea, on what basis do the monetary or efficiency considerations matter?

DEEKAYPEE8569

Wonder who thought that up. That tells me they were looking for somebody.
I'm guessing it was the Sherriff's Dept. So that's going after "speeders", random untimely, inexplicable checkpoints.
Wonder what else they're gonna dream up to increase revenue.

Chris0nllyn

The report says a "Saturation Patrol". I was under the impression that was not a Checkpoint.

15 troopers patrolling for 8 hours, stopped 107 vehicles. 13 cars/hour.

I wonder the rate stopped/hour when not out hunting for drunks.

DEEKAYPEE8569

The report says a "Saturation Patrol". I was under the impression that was not a Checkpoint.

15 troopers patrolling for 8 hours, stopped 107 vehicles. 13 cars/hour.

I wonder the rate stopped/hour when not out hunting for drunks.

Saturation Patrol
Definition: Saturation patrols involve law enforcement deploying additional police officers to targeted roadways during select time periods to detect and apprehend impaired drivers.

Further info here:

AAA DUI Justice Link
http://duijusticelink.aaa.com/issues/detection/saturation-patrols

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I wonder if you all might feel differently if you had a loved one killed by a drunk driver. Perhaps then you might better appreciate the DUI checkpoint.

Anyone who is dumb enough to drink and drive on St. Paddy's Day, or New Year's Eve for that matter, is already showing incredibly stupid judgment. They KNOW cops will be out in full force, yet they do it anyway. I'm totally okay with them being popped and stuck in a cell for a few hours.

Chris0nllyn

Saturation Patrol
Definition: Saturation patrols involve law enforcement deploying additional police officers to targeted roadways during select time periods to detect and apprehend impaired drivers.

Further info here:

AAA DUI Justice Link
http://duijusticelink.aaa.com/issues/detection/saturation-patrols

I'm aware of what the patrols are, and they typically go hand-in-hand. You'll have officers at the checkpoint, then others in the area doing "saturation patrols".

I wonder if you all might feel differently if you had a loved one killed by a drunk driver. Perhaps then you might better appreciate the DUI checkpoint.

Anyone who is dumb enough to drink and drive on St. Paddy's Day, or New Year's Eve for that matter, is already showing incredibly stupid judgment. They KNOW cops will be out in full force, yet they do it anyway. I'm totally okay with them being popped and stuck in a cell for a few hours.

Outside of the poor judgment aspect I agree with, I doubt I'll ever appreciate a checkpoint.

The world is a dangerous place, and the moment we start allowing ourselves to give up a bit of freedom in exchange for our personal crusade against something that killed a person, well, we get these.

Last edited:

DEEKAYPEE8569

I'm not knocking checkpoints, but they make more sense when conducted during times when excessive drinking usually occurs? Christmas, New Years' etc.. To have one, just to have one, just because 'hey, it's Tuesday; let's set up a checkpoint but let's call it something else,' doesn't compute.
:shrug: Just sayin'.....

Chris0nllyn

Why not set up these checkpoints outside of bars? Stop every single car, breathalize every single driver.

That way, we KNOW no one is under the influence. Anyone dumb enough to go to a bar and drive home after 2-3 beers deserves to sit in jail.

luvmygdaughters

Why not set up these checkpoints outside of bars? Stop every single car, breathalize every single driver.

That way, we KNOW no one is under the influence. Anyone dumb enough to go to a bar and drive home after 2-3 beers deserves to sit in jail.

Would that include the FOP?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The world is a dangerous place, and the moment we start allowing ourselves to give up a bit of freedom in exchange for our personal crusade against something that killed a person, well, we get these.

To me they are no different than increased police presence in shaky neighborhoods. The mere presence of a cop (checkpoint, whatever) is enough to deter a certain percentage of the population from committing a crime in that location. That's why they do it: to discourage you from illegal behavior, and bust you if you're stupid (or drunk) enough to do it anyway.

Hank

my war

2-3 beers?

Larry Gude

Strung Out

So, why not gun check points? 6-8,000 people a year are murdered with guns. Why not bad driver checkpoints seeings how 30,000 people a year are killed by bad drivers, exclusive of drunks? How about bad eating check points to make sure no one is eating bad food while driving, a two for, given, well over 100,000 a year die of obesity in addition to the distraction. Seat belt check points. Cell phone check points seeings how people are mauling one another by the 1,000's texting while driving. Just make people show their phone and check the time of last sent messages. If it was recent, off to the pokey for a few hours. We could catch 80 year old drug mules while we're at it.

What else? Maybe check groceries and see that proper food is in those bags. See if people signed up for the ACA. Make sure there is no angry music in there. Make sure kids are properly restrained.

Orwell wrote about this. I know you read it. If your beef is that we don't hold people responsible for what they do then maybe instead of using the fish net approach and see if we can catch people who might do bad things we should put all this effort into people who have DONE bad. That would conform with the Constitution and the ideas of freedom and liberty and responsibility.

It's a check point. That's what police states do.

If the idea is to have a free society you hold people responsible for what they DO, for behavior, not for what they might do.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I know! We could set up a checkpoint at the White House and see about drunk SS agents who've run into barriers. Lock them up. Fire them. Ruin their lives.

DEEKAYPEE8569

The defense lawyers would probably argue 'entrapment,' or perhaps 'profiling,' the defense lawyer of some unlucky arrestee saying, 'my client exhibited NO signs of inebriation when entering nor while operating his/her motor vehicle.'

Prosecutor: 'But your client was seen leaving a bar and getting behind the wheel.' If a checkpoint was set up, say, 1/4 mile away from the bar, that might hold more water.

SG_Player1974

I always wondered why police do not do this. I have heard that it is considered entrapment but... why is that?

Aren't DUI "checkpoints" essentially TRAPS as well? Why is it so different just because it is not in or near the establishment that actually serves the alcohol?

Don't get me wrong... I abhor drunk driving totally. I am just wondering how they are different.

GregV814

for those hand wringing maggot infested pot smoking beer farting drunks amongst us.....check the DWI Chectpoint news report that ended in tragedy in Annapolis, when some non-specific race male ran the roadblock for no apparent reason crashing 3 cars and fleeing because he didnt want to stop for the checkpoint...then re-address your question about so many police at the checkpoints....

thank you

Chris0nllyn

Would that include the FOP?

And Elks Lodges. Anywhere alcohol is served.

To me they are no different than increased police presence in shaky neighborhoods. The mere presence of a cop (checkpoint, whatever) is enough to deter a certain percentage of the population from committing a crime in that location. That's why they do it: to discourage you from illegal behavior, and bust you if you're stupid (or drunk) enough to do it anyway.

But the justification for these is public safety, right? Drunks are wiping out people en mass and that's why the resources are needed to block a roadway for a period of time, stop every driver, and look for drunks. Of course, laws are laws and they'll write repair orders and other citations.

If that's the justification, why not be damned sure drunks won't be driving? Re-write the law and make sure they don't have to announce it before hand and people don't have the right to turn around. Set them up in front of establishments that serve alcohol. Even better, put breathalyzers in all vehicles.

"Public Safety" has been the justification for much more intrusive violations of privacy, why not checkpoints?

2-3 beers?

Depending on the person, that could be enough for a DUI.

http://dui.drivinglaws.org/drink-table.php

I know! We could set up a checkpoint at the White House and see about drunk SS agents who've run into barriers. Lock them up. Fire them. Ruin their lives.

:lol: