Anything New Going On Across From Wildwood?

merc669

Last word I heard the theater was started but nothing else. Any progress on that or anything else that was supposed to be built there?

SG_Player1974

Last word I heard the theater was started but nothing else. Any progress on that or anything else that was supposed to be built there?

Aren't they going into their 3rd or 4th year of construction on the entrance lane and entryway into the new area? At this rate... we will have a new theater in 2023!

4ps

Movie Theatre

Yes, it's "supposed" to be completed by mid summer. We had workers at our house who were also on the project tell us that.
They said, it's not like the Waldorf theatre but will be really nice. (No reclining seats, but footrests instead.) 12 movie rooms. There were some issues that held up construction but it's fine now.

merc669

Great news if it happens this summer. Also waiting to hear about ALDI's and also heard maybe Home Depot coming down. But other than the theater work going on, nothing else seems to be happening.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Aren't they going into their 3rd or 4th year of construction on the entrance lane and entryway into the new area? At this rate... we will have a new theater in 2023!

Have you actually looked back there? They're already done with the framework of one of the huge buildings and added the outside materials. (cinderblock...idk) Since that's up I can't see how far along they are inside but they've angled the buildings so they almost sit behind whatever that construction company is. They're a lot further along that it appears bc you can't see them directly from that intersection.

CrashTest

I'm sure the Great Mills Corridor Economic Development Team has folks lined up to occupy the soon to be vacant theater in LP.

Whitey

I'm sure the Great Mills Corridor Economic Development Team has folks lined up to occupy the soon to be vacant theater in LP.

Haaaaa...yes. No doubt. It's really booming down there, maybe I'll jump into the fray. I have an idea for a giant liquor store.

CrashTest

Yes - local "leaders" issue zoning and permits to build a brand new theater complex in Cali knowing full well that it will put the theater in LP out of business, then they talk about being committed to business development in LP.

If anyone had any doubt that they're liars, this should change your opinion. If not, then you're as stupid as these "leaders" think you are.

merc669

I guess you have not been in that dump you are defending lately "Crash"? The county has nothing to do with that. Its the owners of the theater. Or like Esperanza Lanes the owner is at fault. Or the mysterious burning down of the original theater and Skipjack Inn. The owners could also do their part and improve the looks and insides of their facilities. But do they? No. They think the county or state or the Fed should bail them out. Sorry that theater is dead as well as that lame bowling alley...Good riddance!

CrashTest

I guess you have not been in that dump you are defending lately "Crash"? The county has nothing to do with that. Its the owners of the theater. Or like Esperanza Lanes the owner is at fault. Or the mysterious burning down of the original theater and Skipjack Inn. The owners could also do their part and improve the looks and insides of their facilities. But do they? No. They think the county or state or the Fed should bail them out. Sorry that theater is dead as well as that lame bowling alley...Good riddance!

Planning and Zoning could have told the new theater builders/owners that if they want to build a new theater, that they must purchase the land next to the boarded up McKays mall, or buy the entire boarded up mall, and build the theater there. If they don't want to, then no theater. Take it or leave it.

You can't just build crap wherever you want without the county allowing you to.

Whitey

Planning and Zoning could have told the new theater builders/owners that if they want to build a new theater, that they must purchase the land next to the boarded up McKays mall, or buy the entire boarded up mall, and build the theater there. If they don't want to, then no theater.

There's a reason the theatre in LP is dying...nobody wants to go near LP after dark. How would putting a theatre in the old McKays strip mall remedy that? You're just further into the 'hood there. Business' do not want to be near Great Mills Rd because people with money to spend aren't going there no matter what you put there.

There's a reason the theatre in LP is dying...nobody wants to go near LP after dark. How would putting a theatre in the old McKays strip mall remedy that? You're just further into the 'hood there. Business' do not want to be near Great Mills Rd because people with money to spend aren't going there no matter what you put there.

But.....but....but..... there's that new expensive putt-putt golf down there! With a new expensive, handwritten sign that says all day play for $3!!!

Up and coming!!!

CrashTest

You are correct, building there is dumb. That whole area is crap.

It just bugs me that local "leaders" talk like they're committed to development in GM and LP. They are not. The theater just proves it. Anyone who believes them is an idiot.

ltown81

We rode down Great Mills road this weekend. The one thing that struck me is all the unsavory looking foot traffic up and down that road. Must be the new side walks. Certainly not something that makes me want to get out the care and stroll through the fine shops of St. Mary's Square.

Tito

Donkey Smell
We rode down Great Mills road this weekend. The one thing that struck me is all the unsavory looking foot traffic up and down that road. Must be the new side walks. Certainly not something that makes me want to get out the care and stroll through the fine shops of St. Mary's Square.

zombies?

merc669

Other than that wonderful sidewalk, nothing has been done to support or try and make improvements in that area. Like others said, a lot of bull...

Beta

Smile!
Unless you barricade it and provide armed guards. Then maybe people will come. :lol:

So the beautification of Great Mills Road project hasn't been successful? :frown:

http://shashoconsulting.blogspot.com/2014/09/rc-theater-breaks-ground-in-st-marys.html

At that link it shows the theater and an Aldi. I had been hearing about Home Depot, but based on the diagram at that link, there's no way a Home Depot would fit into any of the remaining locations. There's only 4 remaining buildings and they're all half the size of Aldi...unless the reason for that theater having a line in the middle is because it will be next to another business. That could potentially be large enough I guess.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Planning and Zoning could have told the new theater builders/owners that if they want to build a new theater, that they must purchase the land next to the boarded up McKays mall, or buy the entire boarded up mall, and build the theater there. If they don't want to, then no theater. Take it or leave it.

You can't just build crap wherever you want without the county allowing you to.

I'm reminded of the debate between the County and the developer of First Colony years ago. The County wanted a new movie theater where BJ's is now. The developer said no because none of the theater chains would sign on. Developer agreed to build the Great Mills Pool in exchange for changing the BJ's site from "entertainment" to "retail" and now we have BJ's.

CrashTest

I'm reminded of the debate between the County and the developer of First Colony years ago. The County wanted a new movie theater where BJ's is now. The developer said no because none of the theater chains would sign on. Developer agreed to build the Great Mills Pool in exchange for changing the BJ's site from "entertainment" to "retail" and now we have BJ's.

Maybe the theater builder in WW paid for those new sidewalks on GMR in order to get his zoning. He gets his zoning, and local "leaders" look like they give a chit about the GMR corridor. Chicago politics.