GPS caused accident

bilbur

I was thinking the same thing but I would hope they would have an up to the minute system to update the onboard GPS. They will also have sensors that should be able to detect hazards in the road and communication systems that will be able to send information between vehicles and the master system so even if one vehicle does go over it wouldn't be followed by any others. I also believe as the technology advances that roads will be closed by a device that sends out wireless signals that inform the vehicle of the closure. It is my belief that the couple would have been safer and this tragedy wouldn't have happened in a self driving car. In this particular case it was a series of bad decisions by the driver by not updating his GPS for so long and not seeing the multiple signs warning of the closure. It is tragic that he now has to live with the reality that he is the reason his wife burned to death.

H

Hodr

Not saying people shouldn't be responsible for having a little common sense, but they probably should have put something more substantial than bright orange cones in place to block a road hazard that is capable of killing people.

And it's not like they closed the bridge a week ago and haven't had time to put up a block. How hard is it to move those forklift-able concrete barriers?