Mulch

awpitt

Main Streeter
Hi All... Who knows of the best places (California/Grt Mills/ LP area) to call for bulk mulch delivery? Thanks.

dgates80

Land of the lost
The Lusby Appeal landfill has literally tons of shredded wood mulch, free for the taking. They will load it into a pickup or a trailer for you, using a bucket loader. They require you to cover it with a tarp for transport though, so remember to bring one with the necessary rope etc.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Out of St. Inigoes ----> Leon Dean 301-872-4648

If I recall correctly, I got a small dump truck load for $125 or so. Or maybe it was half-full....I don't remember. But it was enough to do all of my flower beds.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Out of St. Inigoes ----> Leon Dean 301-872-4648

If I recall correctly, I got a small dump truck load for $125 or so. Or maybe it was half-full....I don't remember. But it was enough to do all of my flower beds.

You have flower beds?? Who knew!

We need COMPOST!!

and mulch.

The Lusby Appeal landfill has literally tons of shredded wood mulch, free for the taking. They will load it into a pickup or a trailer for you, using a bucket loader. They require you to cover it with a tarp for transport though, so remember to bring one with the necessary rope etc.
St. Marys does this too, but again, you have to provide transport.
You have flower beds?? Who knew!

We need COMPOST!!

and mulch.

Give it time. The mulch will become compost eventually. :biggrin:

I have a small composter in the backyard. I've been feeding it my organic kitchen scraps for 2 years, never emptied it, and it's still only half full. The dark soil looks real nice tho.

MarylandGeorge

Awpitt,

I have a lawn and garden store in Park Hall, the Chicken Scratch. We have bagged mulch, but I can get you prices on loose mulch as well. Let me know what mulch you're looking for, and how much of it, and I can give you a price.

George

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Awpitt,

I have a lawn and garden store in Park Hall, the Chicken Scratch. We have bagged mulch, but I can get you prices on loose mulch as well. Let me know what mulch you're looking for, and how much of it, and I can give you a price.

George

Compost the same??

I need a yard or two for the garden(s), and raspberry patch

Goldenhawk

Not trying to be difficult here, but I've heard that it's a bad idea to use mulch from a landfill... kinda like eating the buffet line mystery meat or spaghetti sauce on Friday... it's probably full of questionable stuff.

Most landfill mulch is simply ground up from whatever comes in for the yard waste recycling pile - including old deadwood full of bugs (emerald ash borer and possible termites), grass and weed clippings full of seeds, pesticides and other noxious chemicals, etc... I was warned to stay FAR away from such products, and stick to the quality pre-bagged hardwood or bark grindings that usually are produced from harvested timber.

On the other hand, some research doesn't convince me either way. This was an interesting thread to read.
http://www.permies.com/t/9391/organic/importing-wood-chips-land

Interested to hear other opinions on this. I need about 15 bags a year, so I'd love to know if the free or low-cost approach was safe.

SG_Player1974

Call me skeptical but....

If they are giving it away, I highly doubt they put much effort into quality control for bugs, chemicals, etc.

bulldog

Not trying to be difficult here, but I've heard that it's a bad idea to use mulch from a landfill... kinda like eating the buffet line mystery meat or spaghetti sauce on Friday... it's probably full of questionable stuff.

Most landfill mulch is simply ground up from whatever comes in for the yard waste recycling pile - including old deadwood full of bugs (emerald ash borer and possible termites), grass and weed clippings full of seeds, pesticides and other noxious chemicals, etc... I was warned to stay FAR away from such products, and stick to the quality pre-bagged hardwood or bark grindings that usually are produced from harvested timber.

On the other hand, some research doesn't convince me either way. This was an interesting thread to read.
http://www.permies.com/t/9391/organic/importing-wood-chips-land

Interested to hear other opinions on this. I need about 15 bags a year, so I'd love to know if the free or low-cost approach was safe.

That article is sooooooooo 2011.

Forkian

Capture 1.JPG
So, I got a truck load of the free mulch offered by Calvert County. Gotta say not bad at all, especially for free!
While it is not top notch and I wouldn't use it for a decorative landscape, it was perfect for what I needed!
Just remeber to bring a tarp to cover it with when you go.