Quartz vs Granite countertops....GO!!!!!

glhs837

Power with Control
Pretty sure I'm settled on quartz, but just in case there are granite believers out there who want to make a case for that stone, now is your chance.

Cost appears to be a wash, really.

Heat resistance, same.

Cant get some of the more natural looks from quartz, but I dont think I was going to be in that end of the granite market anyway.

Whats tipping it in quartz's favor is the lack of a need to ever seal it.

dgates80

Land of the lost
You're sure you want stone? We went with Corian, and I'm liking it. Stone chips and is somehow, well, cold. Stone mostly does not scratch, but if it does it is a "forever" scratch.

As for Quartz vs. granite, I think it is a wash. "Sealing" granite is hooey, I think. It is a freaking rock, as is Quartz. If granite needs sealed, so does Quartz.

PeoplesElbow

You're sure you want stone? We went with Corian, and I'm liking it. Stone chips and is somehow, well, cold. Stone mostly does not scratch, but if it does it is a "forever" scratch.

As for Quartz vs. granite, I think it is a wash. "Sealing" granite is hooey, I think. It is a freaking rock, as is Quartz. If granite needs sealed, so does Quartz.

Quartz is not solid quartz, it is chips mixed in with resin and formed.

glhs837

Power with Control
Think Corian with a really large percentage of real stone mixed into the matrix. Yes, scratches much harder to get out, but like Gorilla Glass, much harder to get in the first place. And a correspondingly higher heat resistance. I kinda dont like the plastic feel of Corian.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I think it's just a matter of what look you're going for. Slab granite has a more rustic look and it's like leather furniture in that it has natural imperfections. If you want something more "perfect", you'd go with the quartz.

DQ2B

I think it's just a matter of what look you're going for. Slab granite has a more rustic look and it's like leather furniture in that it has natural imperfections. If you want something more "perfect", you'd go with the quartz.

That sums it up very well.

Bavarian

Seems like Corian is out. Trying to sell house, and the people don't like the Corian, want Granite. Granite needs sealing every six months. Corian relatively easy to repair.

mamatutu

mama to two
Also, I just remembered a friend replaced with granite not too long ago. She found a 'high end' scrap piece and got it at the 'lower end' price. I guess it depends on how much you need to make this a possibility.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Seems like Corian is out. Trying to sell house, and the people don't like the Corian, want Granite. Granite needs sealing every six months. Corian relatively easy to repair.

Granite does not need to be resealed every six months. Parents chose granite when they built there house in 2001, mom's a serious baker/cook, 3 kids...those countertops are definitely used and they've never resealed since building.

glhs837

Power with Control
Had planned on going up there this weekend actually. Not sure about the cabinets, the pricing is great, of course, and the options are cool are hell, like in drawer LED lighting, but I'm unsure of the particleboard construction. Plan on doing all the cabinetry myself and want the best I can get for my dollars. Looked at Cabinets to Go, and while it was all plywood, it was Chinese plywood, and the edges I could see didnt fill me with confidence that these are 30 year cabinets.

PeoplesElbow

Had planned on going up there this weekend actually. Not sure about the cabinets, the pricing is great, of course, and the options are cool are hell, like in drawer LED lighting, but I'm unsure of the particleboard construction. Plan on doing all the cabinetry myself and want the best I can get for my dollars. Looked at Cabinets to Go, and while it was all plywood, it was Chinese plywood, and the edges I could see didnt fill me with confidence that these are 30 year cabinets.

Good particle board cabinets (yea that doesnt sound right) can last that long. My mothers cabinets have particle board construction but it seems different than the particle board you see today. Hers are from 1979 and the cabinets still look new for the most part. I recently cut out one of the top shelves to install a sliding rack system inside and that stuff was some hard stuff. After I got that shelf cut out I took it outside and tried to break it further by stomping on it while it was supported at each end and no dice, just hurt my ankle. Pretty tough stuff for a 300lb man stomping on it.

glhs837

Power with Control
Well, took a leap and ordered my cabinets online from Cabinets.com we'll see how it goes. I like that they are made in the US, all plywood, preassembled with all the bells and whistles like BLUM hardware for soft closing. Got a sample door which was well put together and the finish was fantastic.

Countertop, wife and are still negotiating. Seems that the darker granites are less likely to require sealing than light ones. Generally speaking, darker granite have a tighter grain structure, I think. And of course, less likely to show stains against the darker background. Question now is if we can go with a darker countertop stylistically.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Well, took a leap and ordered my cabinets online from Cabinets.com we'll see how it goes. I like that they are made in the US, all plywood, preassembled with all the bells and whistles like BLUM hardware for soft closing. Got a sample door which was well put together and the finish was fantastic.

Countertop, wife and are still negotiating. Seems that the darker granites are less likely to require sealing than light ones. Generally speaking, darker granite have a tighter grain structure, I think. And of course, less likely to show stains against the darker background. Question now is if we can go with a darker countertop stylistically.

Do you have a pic of the cabinets, the floors, and the walls/backsplash? even if they're individual pics.