Strange Unclaimed Property postcard

PeoplesElbow

I got an unclaimed property postcard from the Maryland Comptroller. It has a claim number and the name of a financial institution that I have an account through on it.

I go to the website and search my name, my name appears but at an address I do not live in (in Baltimore) and the claim number is not the one that matches mine on my post card.

I am starting to worry this is some sort of sign of identity theft, anyone have a similar story?

RPMDAD

negative, i have gotten some notices from them before that were accurate, but by the time all the work was done on my end. the money there wasn't worth collecting. it would have cost me more money to collect it than the money i would have received was worth.

PeoplesElbow

I reread that and want to make it clear I am sure the postcard is legit, what I am worried about is that the unclaimed property came from someone other than me using my identity. I do monitor my financial identity pretty closely though.

I reread that and want to make it clear I am sure the postcard is legit, what I am worried about is that the unclaimed property came from someone other than me using my identity. I do monitor my financial identity pretty closely though.

It's possible there is another with the same name as you, and they just sent it to the wrong person. I found there are many with my name and they all showed up (their names, not physically) when I closed on my house. Bank had to make sure the others were not me.

sm8

So I went and searched my name and found it with an address of an adjoining property. I thought what are the odds of someone living right thru the woods that has the same name as me. Turns out apparently pretty good LOL, now I feel like I should stop by and introduce myself and let her know.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka

There's generally a phone number on the card you can call. Sounds like you're alert enough to not disclose personal, sensitive financial information that might be used against you should this be a hoax. I had a largish check from a life insurance policy that got sent to the Maryland Comptroller who reunited me with it through the program. Just be careful the funds aren't characterized as "income" by Maryland. They'll make sure it shows up on this year's tax return.

GregV814

we found my sister in laws name in the newspaper posting...but as stated before, after all the work to verify and re-verify through the State, is wasnt worth the matter..I imagine the State makes quite the sum off of this because they basically get gifts by default.

tommyjo

we found my sister in laws name in the newspaper posting...but as stated before, after all the work to verify and re-verify through the State, is wasnt worth the matter..I imagine the State makes quite the sum off of this because they basically get gifts by default.

Patently false. Here is the duty and clearly stated goals of the Comptroller's Office from their website:

The Comptroller's Office tries to locate the rightful owners of stocks, bonds, savings accounts, security deposits, contents of safe deposit boxes, insurance proceeds and other valuables which are reported to us as unclaimed by banks and other financial institutions after three years. Real property is not included.

The owners or their legitimate heirs can claim the funds at any time. There is no statute of limitations. You can search our records online free of charge in the section below.

https://interactive.marylandtaxes.com/Individuals/Unclaim/default.aspx

Additionally this is from the claim form:

Finder's Fees
The state of Maryland does not charge a fee for returning your property to you. Signing an agreement to have someone assist you in recovering unclaimed property may entail the payment of substantial fees. Effective July 1,1991, such an agreement is unenforceable in Maryland if it covers property which has been in the state's custody for less than two years.

The form is found here: http://comptroller.marylandtaxes.com/Public_Services/Unclaimed_Property/static_files/COT-ST912.pdf

There is no "work" involved expect providing documentation that you are entitled to the funds.

vince77

these can be a real PITA. Generally not worth it. Got one from Virginia 10 years ago, was in my grandmothers name. They wanted to see a birth certificate or newspaper clipping as a first step.

She was born in 1885..............:jet:

GregV814

Patently false. Here is the duty and clearly stated goals of the Comptroller's Office from their website:

https://interactive.marylandtaxes.com/Individuals/Unclaim/default.aspx

Additionally this is from the claim form:

The form is found here: http://comptroller.marylandtaxes.com/Public_Services/Unclaimed_Property/static_files/COT-ST912.pdf

There is no "work" involved expect providing documentation that you are entitled to the funds.

OH!!!! You were there with talking to the Comptrollers office too????? Were YOU the one asking 15 questions?????

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I was able to claim just under $500 a few years ago.

It was disembarking worth it to me to get that money. I so can't figure it where it came from, but it may have been from a bank account from when I was in high school. But I can't be sure of that.