Rt 5 and Willows Rd

merc669

Anybody know why the barrels and Improvements occurring around that area. After repaving it all, kind of unsure of what they can do next except maybe beef up the sides...

glhs837

Power with Control
Major repair of the bridge right near that intersection.

Not repair, but complete replacement. Including shifting the road onto a temp while they do it. Major PITA, I think. I'll be taking Park Hall Road lot more I think.

blacklabman

You talking about the Budds Creek Rd Bridge? Then we're going on 4 years.
Well, yes. I was responding, with a quote, to the post regarding that bridge. They have been working on a bridge a little west of the Chaptico round-about. No declared work zone though.

glhs837

Power with Control
Here's the project description from the SHA project page..... bolding mine

Work includes replacement of the existing structure with a 55-foot long pre-stressed concrete bridge, realignment and repaving of one-half mile of roadway, drainage and landscaping. Crews are constructing the new bridge adjacent to the existing span, allowing SHA to maintain traffic throughout all phases of construction. Completion is estimated spring 2016, weather permitting.

Ah, found a little more.... North, as far as I can tell, is on the Willows Road side of 5. Makes sense, unless they were going to D&S's house out by Willows.

The bridge on MD 5 (Point Lookout Road) over Eastern Branch is scheduled for replacement. Originally constructed in 1936, the bridge is nearing the end of its useful service life. The most significant deterioration has occurred in the concrete bridge deck, which has been paved with asphalt, temporarily improving the smoothness of the riding surface. The new bridge will provide wider shoulders to match those on the approach roadways on either side. Replacing the structurally deficient bridge will save money on future maintenance and support safety and mobility as part of SHA’s bridge system preservation program.

Several alternates for maintaining traffic along MD 5 during construction were considered, including a complete detour of MD 5 or alternating one lane of traffic across the bridge with a temporary traffic signal system. Due to the volume of traffic on this structure and the limited number of alternate routes in the project area, it was determined that maintaining both lanes of traffic was the only viable option to meet the existing traffic demands. Both lanes of traffic along MD 5 will be maintained during construction, while the new bridge is constructed in stages along a new alignment to the north. The minimal impacts to traffic will be limited to off-peak times when the contractor is required to tie the new roadway into the existing alignment.

Construction is scheduled to begin in fall of 2014. SHA will make every effort to complete this project as quickly as possible while minimizing impacts to local residents and motorists. Based on the scope of the work and experience on similar projects, it is anticipated that the project will take up to a year to complete, weather permitting.