Latest Food Craze?

Ghost pepper. I'm seeing that everywhere all of a sudden. Never even heard of it until a week ago. It's just a variant of the chili pepper.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Ghost pepper. I'm seeing that everywhere all of a sudden. Never even heard of it until a week ago. It's just a variant of the chili pepper.

Don't even think about trying it unless you have a gallon of water handy. One of the guys at the office had me try a Bhut Jolokia and it was like eating a wash rag that was on fire.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

I've heard Guy Fieri talk about on the Diners Drive-ins & Dives show for awhile, now.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Don't even think about trying it unless you have a gallon of water handy. One of the guys at the office had me try a Bhut Jolokia and it was like eating a wash rag that was on fire.

:yay: Guy Fieri even thinks they're pretty hot!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
it was like eating a wash rag that was on fire.

:lol:

I'll pass on the ghost pepper. I like it spicy but I also like to be able to feel my face when I'm eating. I think the foodies just do this stuff to screw with us. "Hey, let's start raving about dog turds in chardonnay sauce and see if the rubes will buy it!" For awhile there it was soft cooked egg on everything and I'm sorry but nobody wants a lettuce salad with egg yolk running all over it. Blick.

BernieP

Resident PIA
it's consider the hottest pepper on the planet, the capsaicin content is through the roof. The Scoville rating is 855,000 to 1,001,304 SHUs

Known to cause diarrhea in those not accustomed to ingesting that much capsaicin. That' all you need, lava going through you, in one end, out the other.

mamatutu

mama to two
it's consider the hottest pepper on the planet, the capsaicin content is through the roof. The Scoville rating is 855,000 to 1,001,304 SHUs

Known to cause diarrhea in those not accustomed to ingesting that much capsaicin. That' all you need, lava going through you, in one end, out the other.

:jet: It sounds like it could kill you! No wonder they call it a ghost pepper!

Bay_Kat

Tropical
I had a recipe that called for them, said when cutting them up wear rubber gloves. And I'm going to eat this? Ah, no.

pebbles

So the Ghost Pepper Fries at Wendy's must not really be the ghost peppers you all speak of.....I had them the other day & they weren't even all that hot. But they weren't bad!

KDENISE977

So the Ghost Pepper Fries at Wendy's must not really be the ghost peppers you all speak of.....I had them the other day & they weren't even all that hot. But they weren't bad!

Yeah, I saw the advertisement for Wendy's and I LOVE hot food, but not the taste of jalapeño peppers, is it just hot cheese sauce??

DEEKAYPEE8569

I've never tried one of these ghost peppers; and I like spicy stuff. My guess is, the OMFG! either sneaks up on you or takes forever to go away.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I had a recipe that called for them, said when cutting them up wear rubber gloves. And I'm going to eat this? Ah, no.

you should wear gloves when handling any type of chilli as the capsaicin oil is not washed away easily with water.
You can transfer that oil to your eyes or other (cough) body parts.

Can these peppers kill you? Yes, in sufficient quantity. Your body reacts to the capsaicin and wants to reject it, that's why your eyes water and nose runs, the body is trying to flush it from your system. There are benefits, it's found that capsaicin reduces harmful bacteria in food by 75%, so it's a food preservative. It also gives the body a false sense of heat since it stimulates the same receptors. Sweat is the body's natural defense against heat. That's why we find spicy foods in hot climates.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Flavored olive oils & flavored vinegars. They are very popular now but unheard of a few decades ago.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Spent last weekend with a gf who lives in Glen Burnie. She took me to her favorite nursery, where I spent entirely too much money, and she bought one of those. She says she doesn't eat them, just likes to grow them.

Yep I have a tiny bottle of hot sauce made with them. Very hot! Wet the tip of a tooth pick and dab on a chip. Still hot.

Stopped to grab a bite in Moab UT yesterday. Wendy's. son and I saw the "Ghost fries. We looked at each other and he said "I don't think so". He has tried it also. No way any place would serve the real thing.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I almost accidently killed my husband by chopping up a couple of bird's eye chili peppers and adding it to a sauce for our dinner. He won't be eating ghost pepper anything.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
We like hot, so I generally plant 3-5 varieties of hot peppers in the garden every year. Haven't seen the ghost pepper at the nursery yet, but maybe this year.

Now, those Thai peppers - WOW! They're so hot they grow straight up! Really attractive in the garden.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
We like hot, so I generally plant 3-5 varieties of hot peppers in the garden every year. Haven't seen the ghost pepper at the nursery yet, but maybe this year.

Now, those Thai peppers - WOW! They're so hot they grow straight up! Really attractive in the garden.

They are pretty. Also I've learned for him, I just add the peppers to a sauce without cutting it open and then remove them prior to serving. It gives him some heat without the "flames of death".