Summer fishing & kayak camps

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Because what kid doesn't like fishing.

Fishing campers are able to learn about the skill, fun and serenity that come along with fishing from the skilled and passionate members of the Maryland Saltwater Sportfishermen’s Association (MSSA).
The week begins with on-land instruction where campers learn how to tie lures, cast a line and what fish can be found in the Chesapeake Bay watershed. The campers will then use their new skills to try out the fishing on the Patuxent River from the pier.

Greenwell Foundation

Restless

I didn't realize all that Greenwell offered! I have never learned how to fish, nor did my husband, or kids. Do you know of any places that teach adults and teens? It looks so relaxing, and I love that you can catch and release - because I don't like eating fish! LOL

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Because what kid doesn't like fishing.

I never did. Too impatient. First fish I caught on the water, like 8 years old or so, was a rock out of Deale after sitting in the cold, rocking about for what seemed like hours. Stuffed into our fat orange life preservers. It was thrilling...for a minute.

First pond fish I ever caught, same thing. I wanted to go on the playground, go play ball, anything but sit there and 'fish' as though it is a verb. :lol:

One time deep sea fishing. One of the longest days of my life. Getting drunk twice that day didn't even help relieve that boredom.

I think it is fabulous that people enjoy it and it is a wonderful thing to expose kids to it. My only point is that not all kids are going to enjoy...whatever the heck it is...people enjoy about fishing so, there is that.

:buddies:

Midnightrider

I never did. Too impatient. First fish I caught on the water, like 8 years old or so, was a rock out of Deale after sitting in the cold, rocking about for what seemed like hours. Stuffed into our fat orange life preservers. It was thrilling...for a minute.

First pond fish I ever caught, same thing. I wanted to go on the playground, go play ball, anything but sit there and 'fish' as though it is a verb. :lol:

One time deep sea fishing. One of the longest days of my life. Getting drunk twice that day didn't even help relieve that boredom.

I think it is fabulous that people enjoy it and it is a wonderful thing to expose kids to it. My only point is that not all kids are going to enjoy...whatever the heck it is...people enjoy about fishing so, there is that.

:buddies:

sounds like your first trips were just poorly planned. In my experience a first fishing trip with a kid should be around 15-30 mins. the 'fishing' shold stop when the kid gets bored, so its important to find somewhere with lots of action. I usually find a pond that has lots of bluegill and other bream.

as for long days trolling or sitting, i dont care for those even though i love fishing.....

Larry Gude

Strung Out
sounds like your first trips were just poorly planned. In my experience a first fishing trip with a kid should be around 15-30 mins. the 'fishing' shold stop when the kid gets bored, so its important to find somewhere with lots of action. I usually find a pond that has lots of bluegill and other bream.

as for long days trolling or sitting, i dont care for those even though i love fishing.....

Agree but I was one of four and the pal around family was 3 kids. Pretty much everything was all of us. I didn't even like fishing when I found out it requires enormous coolers full of beer... :lol:

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
My only point is that not all kids are going to enjoy...whatever the heck it is...people enjoy about fishing so, there is that.

I volunteered last year with a group that teaches kids to fish. They set up a section of the C&O canal and fill it with 2,000 fish. Everything is supplied. I mostly bait hooks, unhook fish and give lots of encouragement. I have more fun than the kids. Most kids enjoy it. The important thing is to give them some exposure then let them make their own decision if they enjoy it or not.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I volunteered last year with a group that teaches kids to fish. They set up a section of the C&O canal and fill it with 2,000 fish. Everything is supplied. I mostly bait hooks, unhook fish and give lots of encouragement. I have more fun than the kids. Most kids enjoy it. The important thing is to give them some exposure then let them make their own decision if they enjoy it or not.

Great stuff! Good on yah.

Agee

Great stuff! Good on yah.

Indeed! :yay:

learned with a cane pole and "my red worms in a Maxell house coffee can..."