Chocolate store in Leonardtown?

libby

Why would you say that? I'm thinking something other than a mattress store or nail salon would be very welcome in St. Mary's.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'd love to see Ltown turn into a cute little destination town. It already is, to some extent, but something like Ellicott City where you just park and spend the day walking around would be really cool.

libby

I would love to walk and shop in L-town if there were anything to shop for. Wine and cheese, woodwork, any sort of unique handmade stuff would be great to just spend an afternoon with friends and have coffee or a drink and keep on shopping.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Will Ray Nagin run the chocolate store as well as he ran the chocolate city?

Oh, wait - Nagin is imprisoned for the next 9 years or so........

gretchen

Why would you say that? I'm thinking something other than a mattress store or nail salon would be very welcome in St. Mary's.

Because it seems like people keep opening these places that are destined to fail,and it's obvious they will to all but them. A chocolate shop in an already crowded market. Chocolate is everywhere. Why would anyone go to a place that will have to charge more? I'll admit,I'm a fan of big box stores and don't give a crap about local businesses. I do everything online or at Target,period. I've never set foot in most of the small businesses here and don't care to - they overcharge and how much service does anyone need? Small,local places like to say they offer more service in trade for the higher prices,but in reality unless you're someone who needs instructions on your shampoo you can figure things out on your own. One can say this isn't a popular opinion but the proof is in the profits. And businesses like Amazon and Walmart smoke the locals every time. They pay crap,and they use foreign suppliers. But I don't care. I'll buy from a Chinese,a Filipino,or an American based on price and quality,not "patriotism". My experience with the few local businesses I've dealt with is that they tend to think they can make their own rules,since they are the owners and screw you if you disagree. I'm honestly surprised any local businesses survive.

libby

Well, that certainly makes some sense. Maybe they'll need something other than just plain chocolate to survive. That jewelry and chocolate store didn't last.

dave1959

Because it seems like people keep opening these places that are destined to fail,and it's obvious they will to all but them. A chocolate shop in an already crowded market. Chocolate is everywhere. Why would anyone go to a place that will have to charge more? I'll admit,I'm a fan of big box stores and don't give a crap about local businesses. I do everything online or at Target,period. I've never set foot in most of the small businesses here and don't care to - they overcharge and how much service does anyone need? Small,local places like to say they offer more service in trade for the higher prices,but in reality unless you're someone who needs instructions on your shampoo you can figure things out on your own. One can say this isn't a popular opinion but the proof is in the profits. And businesses like Amazon and Walmart smoke the locals every time. They pay crap,and they use foreign suppliers. But I don't care. I'll buy from a Chinese,a Filipino,or an American based on price and quality,not "patriotism". My experience with the few local businesses I've dealt with is that they tend to think they can make their own rules,since they are the owners and screw you if you disagree. I'm honestly surprised any local businesses survive.

Well, now that you are done ... Feel free to get the hell out, we don't need or want you here.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member

YOU, obviously are not their targeted demographic.........send us your Walmart family pics.....

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Trying to compete against the Big Box is futile and a great way to go broke. But a little shopping village will attract all sorts of people wanting to part with some disposable dollars. There are places like this all over America and they do quite well. But they have to make it a destination point, with food and entertainment as well as shopping. So people will go, "Hey, let's go walk around Ltown," like they do with downtown Annapolis. They have to draw from more than just Ltown residents.

They're on the right track, it just takes time to get there. Ltown has an event on the Square just about every weekend.

Trying to compete against the Big Box is futile and a great way to go broke. But a little shopping village will attract all sorts of people wanting to part with some disposable dollars. There are places like this all over America and they do quite well. But they have to make it a destination point, with food and entertainment as well as shopping. So people will go, "Hey, let's go walk around Ltown," like they do with downtown Annapolis. They have to draw from more than just Ltown residents.

They're on the right track, it just takes time to get there. Ltown has an event on the Square just about every weekend.

Many things have come and gone from the square over the years and what stays surprises me just because- its not a popular place for people to go and events all summer on the weekends only cant be what carries them. Ive always said that square could be something but I guess the powers that be dont agree or care. Its been many many years Ive watched that square stay DEAD.

As far as local businesses thriving and/or choosing a box store. If Im not impressed with a local biz I dont go back- simple as that. As someone already said- its all online, including reviews and easy returns. I have no 'dogs in the race' so to speak to 'save' or support any biz in particular and where the best price is, is where Im going to go. It used to be mostly local business here, but somehow this area fell to every chain and box they could fit in.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Many things have come and gone from the square over the years and what stays surprises me just because- its not a popular place for people to go and events all summer on the weekends only cant be what carries them. Ive always said that square could be something but I guess the powers that be dont agree or care. Its been many many years Ive watched that square stay DEAD.

As far as local businesses thriving and/or choosing a box store. If Im not impressed with a local biz I dont go back- simple as that. As someone already said- its all online, including reviews and easy returns. I have no 'dogs in the race' so to speak to 'save' or support any biz in particular and where the best price is, is where Im going to go. It used to be mostly local business here, but somehow this area fell to every chain and box they could fit in.

Question for you. Are you native to the area or a transplant? If the latter, how long have you been here?

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Who remembers the Bon Bon Boutique?

Is that the one that was across from the Coffee Shop in the house? They had gourmet chocolate and fancy cheeses and sparkly knickknacks. They didn't last long.

No, The BonBon was on Great Mills Road, through the 70's into the 80's - not sure when it closed. In the building where Papa John's is now.

Liquor store up front, wonderful chocolates in the back.