what's up with McKays?

KlineKR

Went to McKay's Sunday morning and it looked wiped out. Fruits and veggie stands half empty. They were out mushrooms! No decent fruit. Many other aisles half empty and poorly stocked. 1 checkout lane open, 10 people waiting and no speed lane. Was also informed the bonus cards were no longer accepted. Wegmans it's not!

Just close up and let a decent grocery store move in.

Went to McKay's Sunday morning and it looked wiped out. Fruits and veggie stands half empty. They were out mushrooms! No decent fruit. Many other aisles half empty and poorly stocked. 1 checkout lane open, 10 people waiting and no speed lane. Was also informed the bonus cards were no longer accepted. Wegmans it's not!

Just close up and let a decent grocery store move in.

Which one?

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Which McKay's? There are 3, and the one in Hollywood runs in house specials not the ones in the weekly flyer.

pebbles

Yeah which one? I was at the one in Leonardtown on Friday & everything was fine & they took my card no problem :shrug:

racingal

I went to the one in L'town Sunday afternoon and everything was fine, but told that they are doing away with the gold card, can't remember when though.

Restless

I understand from people that work for McKays that bills are not getting paid and some vendors are not either.

lovinmaryland

Had the same thing happen on Sunday at the Leonardtown location also. Produce area which is usually stocked w/ nice quality produce was either empty or had items that were WAAAAY past the freshness date! Also was told that was the last day for their rewards program so that if you had any points to redeem you needed to do so.

I notice they have recently update their ads...before they looked really nice and professional... now they look terrible! Reminds me of a dollar store ad.

KlineKR

Which one?

Leonardtown. I think it's really slipping

Giant is always better anyway than McKay's when it comes to fresh produce but even the St. Mary's Giant is just a half-baked version of a real one, like in Lusby or La Plata.

I don't get it.

Last edited:

luvmygdaughters

We all must have been in the McKays in Leonardtown on Sunday. I was in there to grab a few things. My sister called me while I was shopping and said they were doing away with their rewards points. The cashier also told me the same thing. She explained that Shur Fine was no longer going to be the whole sale supplier and that was the reason for doing away with the points. The store looked fined when I was in there. In fact, I was surprised to see enough people behind the deli counter for a change. Usually its one person and 3 people deep at the counter waiting to be served. Never been real impressed with Giant, always overpriced and average meats. I was a Safeway patron, used to be my favorite store when I lived in Waldorf.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
We all must have been in the McKays in Leonardtown on Sunday. I was in there to grab a few things. My sister called me while I was shopping and said they were doing away with their rewards points. The cashier also told me the same thing. She explained that Shur Fine was no longer going to be the whole sale supplier and that was the reason for doing away with the points. The store looked fined when I was in there. In fact, I was surprised to see enough people behind the deli counter for a change. Usually its one person and 3 people deep at the counter waiting to be served. Never been real impressed with Giant, always overpriced and average meats. I was a Safeway patron, used to be my favorite store when I lived in Waldorf.

That would maybe explain the OP saying the shelves were not stocked. Could have been Shur Fine products missing.

Leonardtown. I think it's really slipping

Giant is always better anyway than McKay's when it comes to fresh produce but even the St. Mary's Giant is just a half-baked version of a real one, like in Lusby or La Plata.

I don't get it.

The last few times I was in there they seemed to be transitioning to a different distributor. They were putting new product lines on the shelves and discounting what was left of old product lines. And the sales signage had a different look than it had in the past, with some of it just being hand written.

Anyway, I was just there a little while ago and they told me the current rewards program was ending so they wanted people to use up their rewards.

ltown81

One of two scenarios...

1. Everything is fine, and they are switching wholesalers. This should only effect the store brand stuff, and rewards card.

2. They did not pay the wholesaler, got dropped, and are rushing to find a new one.

There have been rumors of them not paying bills for a while, plus, they keep closing locations. Sadly, I am guessing #2 is true.

It is sad really..when the Hollywood store opened, I was like "Wow, they finally got a clue"...but they have not maintained it.

Restless

It's time for McKay's to go and give someone else a chance.

Sad, but true. They can't seem to keep up with what chain food stores do. You have to check the expiration dates because there are sometimes outdated food. The stores just feel old and outdated, and overpriced unless you hit a sale. Sometimes they even smell old. I hate it when they have been steaming shrimp because the whole place smells.

BernieP

Resident PIA
It's time for McKay's to go and give someone else a chance.

McKay's is probably fighting the same battle Harvest Market had being an independent grocer. They are simply not a priority to shippers.
But even Giant in California has been showing empty shelves of late.
I don't generally shop at the larger McKays, but have stopped at the one in Hollywood - which reminds me of Woodburns (can't imagine why)
Maybe that's where they should head, But it's not my money to spend

luvmygdaughters

I hope McKays in Leonardtown doesn't leave. I like their meats and their deli. My sister doesn't care for them. The butchers behind the meat case are always very helpful and friendly, as is the deli personnel. I always go to the butcher side of the meat case and have them cut steaks for me if I don't see what I want in the meat case pre-wrapped. When they had the Tenderloin roasts on sale, I bought one and had the butcher cut it into steaks for me, also did that with the pork tenderloin roasts. Never charge extra and always with a smile. When I've been in Giant, the butchers are hard to find and I had one tell me he could do it but it would cost extra.

lovinmaryland

I hope McKays in Leonardtown doesn't leave. I like their meats and their deli. My sister doesn't care for them. The butchers behind the meat case are always very helpful and friendly, as is the deli personnel. I always go to the butcher side of the meat case and have them cut steaks for me if I don't see what I want in the meat case pre-wrapped. When they had the Tenderloin roasts on sale, I bought one and had the butcher cut it into steaks for me, also did that with the pork tenderloin roasts. Never charge extra and always with a smile. When I've been in Giant, the butchers are hard to find and I had one tell me he could do it but it would cost extra.

I do have to say I prefer their meat & deli counter to any other stores we have down this way. I'm a deli meat snob and only buy boars head so I'm glad that they carry that even though it is priced much higher than Nicks. (you can usually get Boars Head from Nicks for $2-3 cheaper per pound vs Mckays price) I also like to have the butcher slice our steaks because we prefer thicker cuts. I notice A LOT of the grocery stores around here cut their steaks waaaay to thin for my liking. I like my steaks right around 3/4" inch thick.

mitzi

And the bakery and salad bar. No loss to not have Shur Fine products anymore. I think the quality is terrible and was disappointed when McKay's switched to them years and years ago. I did notice things were up and on sale of a brand I've never of before, I guess that was the beginning of the transition. Also, seeing familiar faces that have worked for McKay's for years is nice.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I do have to say I prefer their meat & deli counter to any other stores we have down this way. I'm a deli meat snob and only buy boars head so I'm glad that they carry that even though it is priced much higher than Nicks. (you can usually get Boars Head from Nicks for $2-3 cheaper per pound vs Mckays price) I also like to have the butcher slice our steaks because we prefer thicker cuts. I notice A LOT of the grocery stores around here cut their steaks waaaay to thin for my liking. I like my steaks right around 3/4" inch thick.

I think it was mentioned here, Giant no longer has the ability to cut meet. It's all pre-packaged when it comes in.