Keepin' It Local

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
http://www.keepinitlocal.biz/

Monello and I went yesterday for the first time - what a neat place! They had all kinds of tchotchkes and repurposed decorative items, locally made candy and baked goods, and local meat/eggs/other. We got some ground beef patties that were just ridiculous they were so good. I just pan fried them and Monello said they smelled like the beef we used to get when we were kids. They tasted amazing, really beefy and clean - would definitely buy it again.

The lady behind the counter (whose husband is a forumite, but she wouldn't tell me which one :lol:) was very knowledgeable and steered us toward several purchases we might not have made on our own, but are very happy with. I can see this being a regular stop when we do our Saturday farmer's marketing.

:yay:

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
They have great stuff but usually anything I love is too expensive so I never buy anything.

Monello and I went yesterday for the first time - what a neat place! They had all kinds of tchotchkes and repurposed decorative items, locally made candy and baked goods, and local meat/eggs/other. We got some ground beef patties that were just ridiculous they were so good. I just pan fried them and Monello said they smelled like the beef we used to get when we were kids. They tasted amazing, really beefy and clean - would definitely buy it again.

The lady behind the counter (whose husband is a forumite, but she wouldn't tell me which one :lol:) was very knowledgeable and steered us toward several purchases we might not have made on our own, but are very happy with. I can see this being a regular stop when we do our Saturday farmer's marketing.

Great to hear! One of my neighbors provides beef for resale there and I can tell you when we have our neighborhood cookouts his burgers CAN'T be beat! I love that they are resellers for our locals.

DEEKAYPEE8569

This lady could sell ice to an Eskimo, huh?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I have bought steaks, cheese and pork ribs from there. The steaks were delish, as was the cheese. Haven't tried the ribs yet, but I'm sure they will be just as good.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
I have bought steaks, cheese and pork ribs from there. The steaks were delish, as was the cheese. Haven't tried the ribs yet, but I'm sure they will be just as good.

They did have a cheese up there I almost bought. Can't remember the flavor though. We'd probably eat the piece in one sitting and I'd be mad I paid good money for good cheese and it's gone in an hour, lol.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

She ran the "Upclyclers" shop in Callaway and then was one of the tenants in Cecil's Mill. She knows that stuff.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
They did have a cheese up there I almost bought. Can't remember the flavor though. We'd probably eat the piece in one sitting and I'd be mad I paid good money for good cheese and it's gone in an hour, lol.

It was a blue cheese that I really liked. I have also found more at Chesapeake Bounty that is really delicious. I may make a trip over there this weekend.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
It was a blue cheese that I really liked. I have also found more at Chesapeake Bounty that is really delicious. I may make a trip over there this weekend.

I keep thinking it was a flavored Havarti or Gouda? Maybe something spicy or with bacon.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We got cheese curds and an aged cheddar that is outstanding. And some ice cream called River's Edge that is uber-coffee ice cream with chocolate flakes (this was one of the items the sales lady recommended). My goodness! :hot:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I keep thinking it was a flavored Havarti or Gouda? Maybe something spicy or with bacon.

Could have been. I think they carry three different flavors. Personally, I don't care for Gouda. The one I got at CB is a creamy type bleu with an edible rind like a Brie. Must have more!

bulldog

Thanks for the tip. I'll be heading over there this weekend since I have been looking for a place to buy local meats. Wonder if the beef is grass fed.

lovinmaryland

the chorizo & sausage is excellent as well.

They also have a frequent shoppers card for ice cream...not that I would know anything about that :angel: :lol:

BigBlue

Took the Mrs down there today ,found some really nice things to send to our youngest in LA .One being the Crabby Caramel Popcorn,we all so got some eggs ,beef(burgers) and chocolate no ice cream we thought the trip was to long for it to last till we got home .

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
A good friend of mine has a fair amount of furniture in there. I have one of his bars in my basement. Nope, it did not have it when you came over vrai.

bulldog

Went yesterday. Pretty cool little place and I like supporting locals, but holy hell, $9.00 for a pound of ground beef and $30+ for a single steak?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Went yesterday. Pretty cool little place and I like supporting locals, but holy hell, $9.00 for a pound of ground beef and $30+ for a single steak?

It's definitely not cheap. If you're doing one of those fake poor person challenges, this isn't the place to be grocery shopping.

gretchen

That's what I was referring to in the other thread. Local businesses want support but wheres the reciprocity? Support your community. Set prices at an affordable,reasonable level. But they never do - they gouge either to make up for their lack of ability to keep up with the business expenses or they are simply greedy. Either way,they don't belong. I'm pms'ing and hating on everything today.