Jury Duty again?

PeoplesElbow

I hat jury duty just over a year ago and now I get a summons for it again? WTF St Marys county it is time for someone else to do their civic duty.

Roman

I had my first jury duty many years ago, and was called upon several times (about four) after that. They gave it a rest for many years, and then I got called two times after. I'm crossing my fingers that I don't get called upon again.

frequentflier

happy to be living
I hat jury duty just over a year ago and now I get a summons for it again? WTF St Marys county it is time for someone else to do their civic duty.

An employee was on call for the whole month of April. She had to go last week for one day and was not chosen to be on a jury. Maybe you will fare as well as she did.

PeoplesElbow

An employee was on call for the whole month of April. She had to go last week for one day and was not chosen to be on a jury. Maybe you will fare as well as she did.

I am almost always picked because I am near the front of the alphabet, have never been a victim of a crime, and don't know any police or attorneys. All three times I have been in selection I was chosen.

frequentflier

happy to be living
I am almost always picked because I am near the front of the alphabet, have never been a victim of a crime, and don't know any police or attorneys. All three times I have been in selection I was chosen.

If you want to get out of it- do what many other people do: lie!

Personally, I have never been chosen but would be interested in serving on some cases.

PeoplesElbow

If you want to get out of it- do what many other people do: lie!

Personally, I have never been chosen but would be interested in serving on some cases.

I don't mind doing it, I just think it is too soon. The people that think they are too important for jury duty piss me off.

Last time this one guy made a big deal about how he couldnt do it because he was a brick layer :lmao:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I have never been called for jury duty. I wouldn't mind trying it, if its an interesting case.

Roman

I rarely got picked because of LEO background, having been a paramedic, and being in the medical profession now. The qualifying questions always get me out of it. Especially in cases of "Wrongful Death", or LE.

They just like your style.

I've only been called once. Asked if I could put a price award on an injury case. I said no. *dismissed*

Did you actually serve as a juror last time? There's a question on the form that asks if you've served as juror within the last 3 years; if you answer that yes, you should be excused. I think they can still require you to serve if you haven't served as a juror for 5 days or more within that period, but my assumption was always that they wouldn't unless they needed you - e.g., because the unexcused pool was too small or something. I'm not sure that's how they handle it, perhaps someone will correct my understanding if I'm wrong.

Regardless of how often you served, if you've served at all within the last year you'd also be excused. But it sounds like it's been more than a year for you.

PeoplesElbow

Did you actually serve as a juror last time? There's a question on the form that asks if you've served as juror within the last 3 years; if you answer that yes, you should be excused. I think they can still require you to serve if you haven't served as a juror for 5 days or more within that period, but my assumption was always that they wouldn't unless they needed you - e.g., because the unexcused pool was too small or something. I'm not sure that's how they handle it, perhaps someone will correct my understanding if I'm wrong.

Regardless of how often you served, if you've served at all within the last year you'd also be excused. But it sounds like it's been more than a year for you.

Yep, like I said I always get picked to sit on the jury. Five day trial, second trial I was excused from because I knew a witness.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka

So did you hang the guilty bastards?

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I don't mind doing it, I just think it is too soon. The people that think they are too important for jury duty piss me off.

Last time this one guy made a big deal about how he couldnt do it because he was a brick layer :lmao:

Masons don't get paid leave, but do make a decent wage. If they have to take just 1 day off, it could make a difference on whether or not they make their house payment. I say that's more important than some candy ass missing a 9 hour day with a 2 hour lunch and being forced to take their precious leave.

:shrug:

Yep, like I said I always get picked to sit on the jury. Five day trial, second trial I was excused from because I knew a witness.

Well, if you served as a juror for 5 days within the last 3 years, you should be excused. I think you're typically excused even if you've only served for one day.

Check the form they sent you with the summons, there should be a question on there about previous jury service within the last 3 years.

PeoplesElbow

Masons don't get paid leave, but do make a decent wage. If they have to take just 1 day off, it could make a difference on whether or not they make their house payment. I say that's more important than some candy ass missing a 9 hour day with a 2 hour lunch and being forced to take their precious leave.

:shrug:

He didn't say that, he made it sound like bricklaying was equivalent to heart surgeon in importance. He wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed as he couldn't figure out how to use the call in line either.

PeoplesElbow

So did you hang the guilty bastards?

On federal jury duty yes, county no. You wouldn't believe how many people do not want to be responsible for someone going to jail to the point of making up scenarios of "what if..." Three jurors ignored the instructions and instead decided to debate the law itself.

RPMDAD

I rarely got picked because of LEO background, having been a paramedic, and being in the medical profession now. The qualifying questions always get me out of it. Especially in cases of "Wrongful Death", or LE.

Same here Roman.