Who do you call?

luvmygdaughters

Sitting in the backyard on Sunday afternoon, having a glass of wine, getting ready to put steaks on the grill. Hubby jumps from his chair, grabs a shovel and proceeds to bang the hell out of a snake that had come from the yard next door. The house has been vacant for about two months, the owner lives in South Carolina, I found her on facebook and sent her a message, asking if she a property management firm to take care of the house and if so, she is being ripped off because no one has touched the yard. I am still waiting on a response from her. This is right in the heart of Leonardtown, can I call the Health Dept. or the County Commissioners to have something done? The owner doesn't appear to be advertising the house for sale or rent. Seems like she has just abandoned it.

JeJeTe

Happiness
Sitting in the backyard on Sunday afternoon, having a glass of wine, getting ready to put steaks on the grill. Hubby jumps from his chair, grabs a shovel and proceeds to bang the hell out of a snake that had come from the yard next door. The house has been vacant for about two months, the owner lives in South Carolina, I found her on facebook and sent her a message, asking if she a property management firm to take care of the house and if so, she is being ripped off because no one has touched the yard. I am still waiting on a response from her. This is right in the heart of Leonardtown, can I call the Health Dept. or the County Commissioners to have something done? The owner doesn't appear to be advertising the house for sale or rent. Seems like she has just abandoned it.

Maybe call the Housing Division of St. Mary's? Hmm...I'm not sure.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member

Maybe try the Mayor, Daniel W. Burris, 475-9791, he should be able to direct you to the right entity.

luvmygdaughters

Called Leonardtown Commissioners, there is an ordinance that state if you live in Leonardtown, your grass cannot be over 12". They are sending someone out to look at it.

luvmygdaughters

My husband did that last year once and so did the neighbor that lives on the other side. Its not our responsibility to cut their grass. Not only that, if the house has been abandoned, who knows what could happen, you hear all the time about druggies staying in abandoned property.

blacklabman

Wish we had that ordnance in Town Creek. I posted this two years ago and of course it is worse. The yard hasn't been touched.

Attachments

• Next Door ~ July 2013 Update.jpg
    Next Door ~ July 2013 Update.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 259

blacklabman

Oh no, that's terrible, is the house abandoned?

No! A single female lives there. The gutter above the door fell down, partially blocking it. Some guys cut it down. There is nothing I can do about that place unless I see rats, which I haven't. Must be plenty of snakes around, ha, ha.

luvmygdaughters

No! A single female lives there. The gutter above the door fell down, partially blocking it. Some guys cut it down. There is nothing I can do about that place unless I see rats, which I haven't. Must be plenty of snakes around, ha, ha.

Let me guess...no rats because of the snakes. Oh well to each his own I guess. We have plenty of stray cats in the neighborhood, never had a problem with mice or rats.

Goldenhawk

The blight ordinance is meant to address exactly this kind of issue. Call the county and complain, and encourage any interested neighbors to do the same. After a few verified complaints about a single property, the county will attempt to get the owner (be it a person or a bank) to remedy the situation; failing that, the county will do so and bill the owner (placing a lien on the property if necessary). Usually that will get the attention of the homeowner.

http://www.somdnews.com/article/201...-s-county-x2019-s-blight-ordinance-takes-hold
http://www.gazette.net/article/20140122/NEWS/140129783

I have a personal interest in this topic, as our neighbors' house is newly vacant and in very poor shape. The basement flooded (to the ceiling) over the winter after a pipe burst, and the entire back yard is full of dumped household contents visible to all neighbors and from the street. It's under foreclosure proceedings, and in the meantime, nobody is allowed to touch it. So we are dealing with vermin and pests and soon with warmer temperatures a real mold problem.

PeoplesElbow

Why don't you just go over there and cut the grass?

You have to worry about getting served for trespassing, there is a house on my street that has been foreclosed on that I want to mow the yard but one of my other neighbors mentioned that he was told not to.