Smoking & Vaping banned on OC beaches/boardwalk

Hank

my war
The calendar has turned to May, meaning smoking restrictions on Ocean City beaches and the Boardwalk are now in effect.

Smoking and vaping are now banned on the Boardwalk and beach access points and are limited to certain parts of the beach. Smoking rules apply to cigarettes, cigars, pipes, e-cigarettes and any other matter or substance that contains tobacco.

Designated smoking areas — 153 of them — are placed at most blocks along the beach and 15 feet off the Boardwalk. The largest gap between areas is on the beach between 102nd and 108th streets.

On Friday, Ocean City officials celebrated the kickoff of the new policy, which they approved March 16. Mayor Richard W. Meehan believes the policy accommodates the people who live, work, visit and love the resort town.

http://www.delmarvanow.com/story/news/local/maryland/2015/05/01/ocean-city-smoking-ban/26715931/

bilbur

Just another reason for me not to go back there. I won't miss it I have only been 6 or 7 times since adulthood and that was 15 years ago so I am sure they won't miss me either.

Pete

Repete
I don't understand the hysteria about vaping. It is odorless. Aside form the visible vapor expelled you wouldn't know anyone is doing it. It pisses me off.

bilbur

I don't understand the hysteria about vaping. It is odorless. Aside form the visible vapor expelled you wouldn't know anyone is doing it. It pisses me off.

There is an odor to some, it all depends on the flavor of the liquid. Some of the vaping devices expel huge amounts of vapor and I can see how people would freak out if it was blown in there face but as for the odor it is no more obnoxious than someone with perfume or even strong smelling coffee. It is always the hand full of jerks that don't realize or care people don't want smoke or vapor blown in their face that make it bad for the responsible smoker or vaper. I can't say I blame them, I know I breath in germs from people every day but the vapor makes their breath visible and I do not want to forcefully breath in air that has been in some strangers lungs when he blows his fog in the direction of my face.

musiclady

The vapor can be bought in many "flavors." My coworker like snickerdoodle, which makes me sneeze. Sometimes she uses just the vapor and sometimes she had tobacco in it. Wouldn't it still be considered smoking if there's tobacco? Either way, I prefer her smoking that than a cigarette. The smell doesn't linger.

jrt_ms1995

Have to start the vilification early to prepare the way for the inevitable excessive taxation! :nomoney:

bilbur

The vapor can be bought in many "flavors." My coworker like snickerdoodle, which makes me sneeze. Sometimes she uses just the vapor and sometimes she had tobacco in it. Wouldn't it still be considered smoking if there's tobacco? Either way, I prefer her smoking that than a cigarette. The smell doesn't linger.

No, because there is no smoke, only vapor. It really doesn't have tobacco in it, it is just tobacco flavored and usually with nicotine.

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
There is an odor to some, it all depends on the flavor of the liquid. Some of the vaping devices expel huge amounts of vapor and I can see how people would freak out if it was blown in there face but as for the odor it is no more obnoxious than someone with perfume or even strong smelling coffee. It is always the hand full of jerks that don't realize or care people don't want smoke or vapor blown in their face that make it bad for the responsible smoker or vaper. I can't say I blame them, I know I breath in germs from people every day but the vapor makes their breath visible and I do not want to forcefully breath in air that has been in some strangers lungs when he blows his fog in the direction of my face.

Think about what you just said.
I know I breath in germs from people every day
Don't you exhale germs everyday? Other people are breathing your germs that you exhale everyday.

but the vapor makes their breath visible
Ummm, sorta like on a cold day? :tap:

and I do not want to forcefully breath in air that has been in some strangers lungs when he blows his fog in the direction of my face
Maybe you could stand further away? :shrug: It would be a pretty rude person to blow fog in the "direction" your face.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
People need something to bitch and cry about. Since the smoking ban they've lost one of their favorite B&C topics, so now they have to bitch and cry about e-cigs.

What's amazing is that these whiners actually get their way. Nobody tells them to STFU and get a life; instead, we make laws to appease them or we elect them to public office so they can make their own silly laws. Unreal.

Kinnakeet

People need something to bitch and cry about. Since the smoking ban they've lost one of their favorite B&C topics, so now they have to bitch and cry about e-cigs.

What's amazing is that these whiners actually get their way. Nobody tells them to STFU and get a life; instead, we make laws to appease them or we elect them to public office so they can make their own silly laws. Unreal.
couldnt have said it better

bilbur

Think about what you just said. Don't you exhale germs everyday? Other people are breathing your germs that you exhale everyday.

Ummm, sorta like on a cold day? :tap:

Maybe you could stand further away? :shrug: It would be a pretty rude person to blow fog in the "direction" your face.

That was the point of my post, there are very rude smokers and vapers out there and I am a smoker so I have seen it first hand. I have seen smokers stand on either side of a sidewalk talking to each other, blowing smoke in the direction of the sidewalk and than catching an attitude when a non-smoker tries to fan the smoke away from their face. Recently there was a vaper that stood right next to me in the smoking section, exhaled a huge cloud of vapor, and because of the wind it all ended up in my face with no apology. When he did it a second time I had to move, these are the people I am talking about that have given smokers and vapers a bad reputation. I know people can't control the wind but as a responsible smoker I always do my best to make sure my smoke isn't blown directly at someone especially if they are non-smokers. As for your cold day analogy, I do stand far enough away not to inhale their visible breath but smoke and vapor are visible for much longer and farther.

H

Hodr

I'm all for keeping the nanny-state out of our personal affairs. But if someone is allowed to blow smoke or vapor in my face (the smoke causing me huge allergy problems, the vapor is just annoying), I should be allowed to spit in their face. It's just a matter of degree, right? And if that leads to a fight, well we should be allowed to settle that on our own terms as well without the law being involved.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm all for keeping the nanny-state out of our personal affairs. But if someone is allowed to blow smoke or vapor in my face (the smoke causing me huge allergy problems, the vapor is just annoying), I should be allowed to spit in their face. It's just a matter of degree, right? And if that leads to a fight, well we should be allowed to settle that on our own terms as well without the law being involved.

Do people really just come up to you and blow vapor right in your face? I've never had that happen to me.

luvmygdaughters

I've been smoking for years. I've never had anyone intentionally blow smoke in my face. There are some rude smokers out there I'm sure, just like in anything else. Before no smoking laws were shoved down our throats, I never smoked in elevators, stores and on some occasions, restaurants. Especially if children were present. On the other hand, when I visited my local watering hole, I would light up when participating in consuming adult beverages. I still think its ridiculous that the government can force a private business owner to not allow smoking in their establishment. I will continue to believe that it should be up to the owners discretion to allow smoking or not. Hang a sign on the door "Smoking Permitted in this Establishment; Enter at your own Risk". The consumer/patron can make the decision to enter or not.