Scary people in the mountains?

gretchen

We're spending the day in Shenandoah and I overheard someone at breakfast saying there are family groups that still live deep in the mountains and basically that these places should be avoided at all costs. That they are violent,inbred,and nuts. At first I thought this is some 90's horror movie stereotype but it sure sounded like a lot of the people around us agreed. Some said it was more prevalent in the Appalachian areas. As we all talked about it West Virginia came up and several people said there were areas they wont go to. Have any of you actually seen or heard of this? It sounds creepy and interesting!

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
There are certainly areas in Appalachia, all of it and not just one state, which are very insular. Just like down here. Smart people steered clear of Dogpatch (Malcolm) until fairly recently, for example.

Is it something from Deliverance? No.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
We're spending the day in Shenandoah and I overheard someone at breakfast saying there are family groups that still live deep in the mountains and basically that these places should be avoided at all costs. That they are violent,inbred,and nuts. At first I thought this is some 90's horror movie stereotype but it sure sounded like a lot of the people around us agreed. Some said it was more prevalent in the Appalachian areas. As we all talked about it West Virginia came up and several people said there were areas they wont go to. Have any of you actually seen or heard of this? It sounds creepy and interesting!

Doesn't surprise me a bit. We have them here in the forest, they call them rainbow people. I know a few people that have come across them when trail riding and they are Deliverance scary. I hear even the cops don't go back there messing with them. They keep to themselves, but if people intrude on them, hard to say what they'll do. Many, many rumors about them. Like you said, creepy and interesting.

Hank

my war
There are certainly areas in Appalachia, all of it and not just one state, which are very insular. Just like down here. Smart people steered clear of Dogpatch (Malcolm) until fairly recently, for example.

Ha! My friend and I were just telling his daughter about DogPatch last night.

Roman

I've heard the stories too. They are a very tight-knit kind of people, who for the most part, do not trust outsiders. This is not to say all Appalachian's are like this. They're very friendly, and helpful to others within their community.

gretchen

I googled Dogpatch and came up with an abandoned amusement park. This isn't what you're referring to though,is it?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
It is more like a 70's movie stereotype. The only areas of WV I actively try to avoid are the larger cities. I would say that WV is a lot less dangerous than Maryland.

Arkansas can be pretty dicey too. There are places in the Ozarks that are DEF banjo playing, with civilization and educated folks a short distance away.

PeoplesElbow

The only place you would need to worry about are ones you need a horse or dirt bike to get to. Still the only thing that I can think of that may be dangerous is running into someones pot field or meth lab. If you smell ammonia, turn around and go the other way.

Transients along the Appalachian trail or rails to trails can be a problem but generally only to people that are alone and mostly then young women that are alone. I am talking rare occurrences however, you are at least as likely to get hit by a stray bullet in MD.

Last edited:

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Transients along the Appalachian trail or rails to trails can be a problem

The Appalachian trail is a lot safer than most cities. Who is going to hike tens of miles to rob someone? Crooks are lazy and want the easy target.

gretchen

The Appalachian trail is a lot safer than most cities. Who is going to hike tens of miles to rob someone? Crooks are lazy and want the easy target.

I think getting kept in a shed and butt raped was more the fear. Not robbery.

PeoplesElbow

I use to live in a town that butted up against the trail. The locals did not want it there going through their backyards, the trail brought increased litter and petty theft and the occasional story about someone creepy doing creepy things.

officeguy

Deliverance is a documentary ;-)

Good thing most of these states allow you to carry. Get a Utah or Florida permit and worry less about inbreds and black bears. Otoh, I dont remember many criminal cases involving bands of rabid hillbillys.

GregV814

tell me how its different from SE Washington DC, Ferguson Missouri, West Baltimore.... OH!!! nevermind....