Why is dining alfresco so rare in SOMD?

fatratcat

I've lived in the area for decades and can't understand why so many restaurants limit themselves to inside dining. Is it a "regulatory" thing?

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I guess it depends on where you go. There are all kinds of places that have outside dining. Particularly those near the water. Almost every restaurant on Solomons does. Mangos up in northern Calvert isn't on the waterfront, but has a very nice patio "Tiki" bar outside.

If you're talking about chain restaurants - that's different. :shrug:

pebbles

Off the top of my head, most places in Solomons have outside dining, Chipotle, Sonic, Plaza Azteca, The Front Porch

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
There are tons of places with outside dining. :confused: CIP, Ruddy Duck, most of the Solomons restaurants, Vera's, most of the crab houses...

FRC, what made you think there weren't very many places with outside dining? <--that's a real question, I'm just curious what led you to think that.

pebbles

There are tons of places with outside dining. :confused: CIP, Ruddy Duck, most of the Solomons restaurants, Vera's, most of the crab houses...

FRC, what made you think there weren't very many places with outside dining? <--that's a real question, I'm just curious what led you to think that.

I forgot about CIP! Add to that Seabreeze

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
I guess it depends on where you go. There are all kinds of places that have outside dining. Particularly those near the water. Almost every restaurant on Solomons does. Mangos up in northern Calvert isn't on the waterfront, but has a very nice patio "Tiki" bar outside.

If you're talking about chain restaurants - that's different. :shrug:

Mango's is in Anne Arundel County.

Mexico in North Beach has outside dining, a holdover from Thursday's. As does the Westlawn. Traders in Chesapeake Beach also does. The Mama Lucia's, when it opens, will.

Unfortunately for some none have a McDonald's like Play Place, though.

I guess this is just one more thing for some to bitch about.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
Bugs and humidity make no difference here, just about every restaurant here has outside dining. Most of the time the tables are empty unless people have large parties or the weather is cooler.

Chris0nllyn

Mango's is in Anne Arundel County.

Mexico in North Beach has outside dining, a holdover from Thursday's. As does the Westlawn. Traders in Chesapeake Beach also does. The Mama Lucia's, when it opens, will.

Unfortunately for some none have a McDonald's like Play Place, though.

I guess this is just one more thing for some to bitch about.

Neptunes also has limited outdoor seating.

...and great food.

fatratcat

I'm kind of a victim of my geography. I live in Mechanicsville. St. Mary's Landing- no, Bert's Diner- no (ice cream, yes). Foxy Fish- no. The 2 Mexican places- no. 3 or more of the Chinese places- no. Laurel Grove- no. I agree Leanardtown (20 miles away) and Solomons about the same distance do.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm kind of a victim of my geography. I live in Mechanicsville. St. Mary's Landing- no, Bert's Diner- no (ice cream, yes). Foxy Fish- no. The 2 Mexican places- no. 3 or more of the Chinese places- no. Laurel Grove- no. I agree Leanardtown (20 miles away) and Solomons about the same distance do.

Aha! Yeah, I'm not sure what there is up that way - the two crab houses in Sandgates, and I think the Drift Inn, have outdoor seating. That's all I can think of in that area. Not even sure what Waldorf restaurants let you sit outside except for the crab houses (Capt. Billy's, Gilligan's, etc).