The culture of not answering phone, returning msgs and email

PeoplesElbow

Does anyone know either a person or group of people that never answer the phone, return phone messages or emails?

It seems as the years go by I run into more and more of these types. I am talking work phone and email here.

How is this acceptable?

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I don't answer home phone or cell if I don't recognize the caller. I do return messages from those I know or am interested in, as well as emails.

The i-net, twitter, text messaging, etc., has made a very big personal disconnect in the human race.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Does anyone know either a person or group of people that never answer the phone, return phone messages or emails?

It seems as the years go by I run into more and more of these types. I am talking work phone and email here.

How is this acceptable?

If work expects you to answer it isn't acceptable.... but frankly, I'm tired of being connected. People will email the dumbest crap to you 1 office away. I read it and think what ever happened to those days when you got up off your ass and asked another person in the office a question?

Now we are always connected. About a year ago, I decided when I'm off, I'm OFF... don't call me on my cell I pay for or text the crap out of me. I started leaving my cell turned off and on the counter. Now work did try and give me some stupid senior citizen flip phone they wanted me to carry around to reach me at all hours of the day and night and I had the option to return it and did. I started a trend because many others did the same thing. I didn't sign on to a job to have a wireless Umbilical Cord 24/7, plus they used AT&T and we do not get good coverage here.

I miss those days of the 80's and 90's not being always connected. I remember when being off of work meant they couldn't call you anywhere else but your house phone and if you were not home, oh fricken well... you took vacations without seeing that dreaded office number appearing on your cell.

Or just simply being out shopping alone without your family wondering where their shoes are or their hoodie and immediately blowing up your phone. :ohwell:

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Did your email/VM require an answer, or is it possible that you simply had the last word in the conversation?

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Did your email/VM require an answer, or is it possible that you simply had the last word in the conversation?

Or... sometimes I don't answer because I know I answered that dumb ass question before and/or replied before. Could it be like that PE?

I have somebody in my division that is always requesting a reply when in fact you gave it twice already.... so myself and others have to do a search, find the original email showing the response and send it to his dumb ass.

I just think in the day called "work" we are bombed with way too many useless emails.

SG_Player1974

It never ceases to amaze me when I call a distributor or merchandise manufacturer and ask for the sales department.... to make a purchase.... how many times I am told "They are in a meeting." or "They are at lunch."

Great business plan! Shut down your entire sales department for a meeting! Or, let them all go to lunch! So much for revenue in that hour...

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Yep, the good old days when you actually hung out with your friends face to face instead of via computer or phone.

Exactly and we didn't share every single thought.

Within the past year, I was invited to a Facebook page of old co-workers (current & past) and have witnessed what social media has done to life long friendships. It has ruined friendships because people blurt out every random thought that comes to mind and of course SOMEBODY is going to take offense and does. Before, we used to think about the things that we blurted out of our mouths but many haven't learned the value of thinking before typing or posting. I'm glad I learned that prior to becoming a member. :biggrin: It saved me from getting my feelings hurt.

edinsomd

Pretty simple. If caller ID is blocked and I don't recognize the number, leave a voice message. Last one was Officer Friendly from the IRS demanding I call due to a tax violation. Delete and g'bye.

PeoplesElbow

Im not talking about telemarketers etc here I am talking about work related messages such as "when are you going to be able to get to this?" or "that charge number bounced, I need one to charge that actually works" "can you review this simple 1 page word document and let me know if you have any inputs or not" etc.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Im not talking about telemarketers etc here I am talking about work related messages such as "when are you going to be able to get to this?" or "that charge number bounced, I need one to charge that actually works" "can you review this simple 1 page word document and let me know if you have any inputs or not" etc.

Start being one of those annoying people who want a 'read' receipt on every email after sending it priority. :shrug:

PeoplesElbow

Start being one of those annoying people who want a 'read' receipt on every email after sending it priority. :shrug:

There are certain people I do the read receipt with. I didn't know anyone actually used the priority flags though.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Send them ONE follow up - "Did you get the email/VM I sent previously?" If they still do not answer you, visit them personally and kick their ass.

officeguy

I miss those days of the 80's and 90's not being always connected. I remember when being off of work meant they couldn't call you anywhere else but your house phone and if you were not home, oh fricken well... you took vacations without seeing that dreaded office number appearing on your cell.

Still had a work pager ;-) Good thing about pagers was that the company only paid for the service with the local paging outfit and didn't spring for the statewide or nationwide coverage.

BOP

How is this acceptable?

Most contractors around here.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
There are certain people I do the read receipt with. I didn't know anyone actually used the priority flags though.

I use the priority flags. I think I get a good response back because their emails go red. Make sure you set the flag for the recipient and not yourself and for a time that is during working hours. That's where some people mess up when "flagging".

I don't bother with "read" receipts because they annoy me and I click ignore on the pop up when it asks if I want to send back the receipt. So I know others have to do the same.

Thing is, people get busy. Many people wear multiple hats at work. They are pulled into last minute meetings, they have "emergencies" that pop up, crap happens. When prioritizing, stuff gets juggled around. Sometimes emails get lost in the process of juggling. Sometimes they just aren't at their desk to return those phone calls. I know this from first hand experience, as I have 4.5 jobs that I'm covering in addition to the one I got hired for. I had an entire week where I was unable to get my voice mails and I wasn't at my desk. By the time I checked messages, I didn't return the majority of the calls because I figured they were OBE.

So I always try to remember, that document I need reviewed "asap" may be extremely important to me, but it may not be as important to someone else. Put yourself in their shoes.

Keep your emails short. If I see a long email, I may skim it and not catch everything. Same with voice mails. I may delete it before you finish rambling on, because nobody's got time for that.

Also instead of saying "comments due by x" say "I need your comments by x. If you don't have comments, let me know." It helps to at least cross them off.

Radiant1

Soul Probe
I use priority flags on rare occasions. As mig stated, people are wearing more than one hat at work and have to prioritize; however, there are times when I can't complete my job until someone does theirs. If several emails or phone calls have been sent and subsequently ignored for a decent amount of time and things are starting to get crucial (I work with deadlines), then I'll cc their supervisor. Things get done then.

In addition, I think in some cases people don't respond because they don't want accountability and don't want to leave a "paper" trail.

lovinmaryland

I use priority flags on rare occasions. As mig stated, people are wearing more than one hat at work and have to prioritize; however, there are times when I can't complete my job until someone does theirs. If several emails or phone calls have been sent and subsequently ignored for a decent amount of time and things are starting to get crucial (I work with deadlines), then I'll cc their supervisor. Things get done then.

In addition, I think in some cases people don't respond because they don't want accountability and don't want to leave a "paper" trail.
I was just going to suggest that. Once you cc their supervisor all the sudden they are on top of ####!