3" across--Don't like spiders?--this aint for you!

Joe'smom

This lady was in my bathroom the other night---scared the crappola out of my husband---luckily he didn't kill it---I put it in a gallon jar and got out the camera!!!!
Black Water Spider--cousin to the Wolf Spider----hunts down prey instead of snaring in a web----will "dive under water" to catch it's prey(fish included) or to escape its foe. If it bites you.....it will hurt like hell, swell up and then the tissue will die in that area. Not deadly but regretful if you are the unlucky recipient(NO! not the voice of experience!) They are indigenous to this area---first time I've ever seen one---and I've lived here all my life. Have never seen a spider this big IN my house!

Attachments

• Sep 25 2008_3269_edited-1_filteredwebres.jpg
    Sep 25 2008_3269_edited-1_filteredwebres.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 112
  • Sep 25 2008_3282 web res.JPG
    Sep 25 2008_3282 web res.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 137

MysticalMom

Witchy Woman
This lady was in my bathroom the other night---scared the crappola out of my husband---luckily he didn't kill it---I put it in a gallon jar and got out the camera!!!!
Black Water Spider--cousin to the Wolf Spider----hunts down prey instead of snaring in a web----will "dive under water" to catch it's prey(fish included) or to escape its foe. If it bites you.....it will hurt like hell, swell up and then the tissue will die in that area. Not deadly but regretful if you are the unlucky recipient(NO! not the voice of experience!) They are indigenous to this area---first time I've ever seen one---and I've lived here all my life. Have never seen a spider this big IN my house!

She's very pretty!

Nice.

I seem to find and squish a wolf spider in our living room almost every night.

No no no!!! :nono: Don't squish them!! Catch them in a jar or something and let them go outside! Spiders are good luck and the old superstition is that if you kill one you'll have money troubles. My Gram had this little rhyme she'd say when she caught a spider in her house, "If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive." :biggrin:

M

Mousebaby

WHY did I LOOK! :jameo:

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
WHY did I LOOK! :jameo:

No kidding... shudder. I kill any spiders I find in my house, just about everything in Texas seems to be toxic. I freaked out last night because when I opened the door into the garage a big scorpion came crawling in and hid under a pile of boots by the door. I had to bash it about 8 times before it died. This makes 6 scorpions in the house and 5 snakes in the yard now. Our new Aussie Shepherd is proving to be a good snake dog, he alerts on the critters and barks until I haul him off. I let the outdoor critters live but anything indoors is doomed.

M

Mousebaby

No kidding... shudder. I kill any spiders I find in my house, just about everything in Texas seems to be toxic. I freaked out last night because when I opened the door into the garage a big scorpion came crawling in and hid under a pile of boots by the door. I had to bash it about 8 times before it died. This makes 6 scorpions in the house and 5 snakes in the yard now. Our new Aussie Shepherd is proving to be a good snake dog, he alerts on the critters and barks until I haul him off. I let the outdoor critters live but anything indoors is doomed.

Yeah a scorpion would be harder to kill because of the exoskeleton. Believe it or not, I have been told when I feed her crickets to make sure she eats them all because they can find chinks in her armor and bite her! :faint: I don't want my Medusa hurt! She is so gentle and docile, she rarely even messes with me when I have my hand in the cage moving things around. She will come investigate the vibrations she feels though. She is so cool!

I accidentally squished one with my thumb while shutting my shed door yesterday. Put my hand up to grab the door and I felt something soft go smoosh. It was only about 2" though.