3 Day Muzzleloader Stories...

General Lee

You posted at 810am......no wonder you got nothing, lol. You should be in the woods. I've only been able to get out once so far and didn't see anything. Guess I'll try to get out a little more for doe week.

unixpirate

Pitty Party
You posted at 810am......no wonder you got nothing, lol. You should be in the woods. I've only been able to get out once so far and didn't see anything. Guess I'll try to get out a little more for doe week.

Roommate got a button buck yesterday. Let one go under his stand this morning.

wch

Got a nice young oak tree yesterday at 9:00 am It wasn't there when I pulled the trigger but sprang up before the bullet got to the deer, pretty messed up for it to sacrifice its life for a big doe. :ohwell:

Attachments

• 1022091614jj.jpg
    1022091614jj.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:

dachsom

Got a nice young oak tree yesterday at 9:00 am It wasn't there when I pulled the trigger but sprang up before the bullet got to the deer, pretty messed up for it to sacrifice its life for a big doe. :ohwell:

what is with these trees? Same thing happened to two of my husband's buddies today. I bet if you listened, you could hear them go :cds::cds:

cmhurley1

my morning was booked but i got out for the afternoon on Thursday, i had heard about the weather's plans for Saturday so i was kinda hoping to get it done on the first day, sat from 2 til 'dark' and just as i was about to get out of the tree a good sized doe comes in and gives me a 7 yard shot! were not really supposed to shoot those bald deer on my property (my elders rules lol) but i didn't get out once last year and was just to damn excited to let her go. i got the last shot i heard that afternoon off, double lunged her, and venison is served :yahoo: now its time to find something with some head gear. ive seen some good ones, but there's one imparticular im crossing my fingers for. saw some giants at the Stauffers butcher shop, someone else obviously has some good stories!

cmhurley1

bummer, it happens to everyone at least once. you must be hunting with a cannon to do that kind of damage to that tree lol. did it go clean through?

JoeMac

I have been hunting with the bow for a couple of weeks and every time they pass 50-60 yards out, just too far for me. Decided I would take the smoke pole out Thurs afternoon and they came out on top of me I could have jumped out of the stand on them. I really wanted to get one with the bow. It was a doe and what I think was probably her fawn but no spots and a decent 8pt buck. The doe had me busted as soon as she stepped out. I held still until she crossed the ditch between me and the truck and took the shot once she crossed. Less distance I had to drag. Folded up with no tracking. I wanted the buck to grow another year. One of these days I will get one with the bow

Already cut up and in the freezer. 22 bags of burger at about 1.2lbs each and 10 back strap steaks and 2 back strap roasts about 12". The next one will be steaks and roasts only. My butcher only charges $40 to gut it, skin it, and do whatever I want. Don't think he will make sausage though.

JoeMac

my morning was booked but i got out for the afternoon on Thursday, i had heard about the weather's plans for Saturday so i was kinda hoping to get it done on the first day, sat from 2 til 'dark' and just as i was about to get out of the tree a good sized doe comes in and gives me a 7 yard shot! were not really supposed to shoot those bald deer on my property (my elders rules lol) but i didn't get out once last year and was just to damn excited to let her go. i got the last shot i heard that afternoon off, double lunged her, and venison is served :yahoo: now its time to find something with some head gear. ive seen some good ones, but there's one imparticular im crossing my fingers for. saw some giants at the Stauffers butcher shop, someone else obviously has some good stories!

Not shooting does doesn't really help the herd, we have a poor doe to buck ratio due to the number of does.

cmhurley1

Not shooting does doesn't really help the herd, we have a poor doe to buck ratio due to the number of does.

yeah, its just one of those things i guess, i broke a 15+ year streak of no does taken on the property when i dropped her. ive tried explaining the whole quality deer management thing to them (the best i can anyways), its an in one ear out the other thing, but their the boss(es). i have been seeing a surprising amount of bucks out there this year though, however out of the 7 or 8 different ones i have seen, only 2 were what i would consider mature bucks. unfortunately, Im not too good at letting the young ones walk myself. I know how you feel with the bow, i had been doing a lot of bow hunting prior to the 3 day season, saw tons of them, just none within my 35 yard preference. first day of muzzleloader season and i get a 7 yard broadside shot. its just messed up haha, good luck with the stick and string

wch

bummer, it happens to everyone at least once. you must be hunting with a cannon to do that kind of damage to that tree lol. did it go clean through?
the tree was only about 2 inches in diameter, I was only a few inches away from it when I took picture. 350 gr bullet, 100 gr pyrodex, I guess I got excited and didn't notice the tree. 1" either side and I'd be eating deer, go figure

RatchetJaw

LMAO< I have no idea what that's all about, I don't leave the woods until at least 10-11am LOL

unixpirate

Pitty Party
Who wants to go to WVA?

Guaranteed at least one! 2 1/2 hour drive. Logging free, bring your own food and libations.

E

EmptyTimCup

the tree was only about 2 inches in diameter, I was only a few inches away from it when I took picture. 350 gr bullet, 100 gr pyrodex, I guess I got excited and didn't notice the tree. 1" either side and I'd be eating deer, go figure

:whistle:

well another shot to the right and you can down the tree for next time ...