3-wheel bike (trike)

luvscats

does anyone know of a local bike shop that stocks recumbent trikes? I drove up to Mt. Airy Bikes and test rode three of theirs (Catrike, TerraTrike, and the Sun EZ Tri Classic). I'd like to test ride some others before I decide what to buy but Mt. Airy is over an hour away and too far to drive.

I'm not a distance rider, just ride by myself, in the neighborhood or in the pull-off lanes of roads for exercise.

I'm having a hard time judging which bike to even consider. Does anyone have experience riding 3-wheelers?

The Sun EZ Tri has a higher, more upright position so I'd be more noticeable to cars. I'm short. It felt good to my back. Is a lesser expensive bike. Sun Bicycles - Product

I absolutely loved the lower trikes like the TerraTrike, Catrike. The chain is just a few inches off the ground tho. Do small rocks, debris ever get lodged in the chain? If I went over a curb or bump, would the chain mechanism bottom out, scrape? Do your hands/wrists get tired from using that kind of steering? Do cars see these low level trikes? The New TerraTrike Rover - A New Revolution Bringing Triking To the Masses

Do I want aluminum, steel? I have to be able to lift the trike either up into a pickup truck or into our Toyota sedan.

Thanks for any advice you can give me. :howdy:

dustin

UAIOE
does anyone know of a local bike shop that stocks recumbent trikes? I drove up to Mt. Airy Bikes and test rode three of theirs (Catrike, TerraTrike, and the Sun EZ Tri Classic). I'd like to test ride some others before I decide what to buy but Mt. Airy is over an hour away and too far to drive.

I'm not a distance rider, just ride by myself, in the neighborhood or in the pull-off lanes of roads for exercise.

I'm having a hard time judging which bike to even consider. Does anyone have experience riding 3-wheelers?

The Sun EZ Tri has a higher, more upright position so I'd be more noticeable to cars. I'm short. It felt good to my back. Is a lesser expensive bike. Sun Bicycles - Product

I absolutely loved the lower trikes like the TerraTrike, Catrike. The chain is just a few inches off the ground tho. Do small rocks, debris ever get lodged in the chain? If I went over a curb or bump, would the chain mechanism bottom out, scrape? Do your hands/wrists get tired from using that kind of steering? Do cars see these low level trikes? The New TerraTrike Rover - A New Revolution Bringing Triking To the Masses

Do I want aluminum, steel? I have to be able to lift the trike either up into a pickup truck or into our Toyota sedan.

Thanks for any advice you can give me. :howdy:

not sure of any bike shops that stock these. they might be able to special order. time to break out the yellow pages...

I used to work at a bike shop a number of years selling and turning wrenches. i never owned a trike or did any extensive riding on them but we always tested out our builds and any bikes we sold. Personally, I never did like the trikes with one wheel in the front because of the wider turning radius and inherent weight due to more frame structure (for the most part). some of them are not stable while turning at higher speeds. if i were to get a recumbent, i would not get a trike, but thats just me.

the weight difference between aluminum and steel can be significant if it is quality aluminum. some of the less expensive aluminum frames can be nearly as heavy as steel and be a harsher ride due to less flex. if youre gonna compare frame material, compare it on the same manufacturer and design. unless youre racing I wouldnt be counting ounces.

also think about components. i'd go with at least mid range stuff. the cheap derailers, brakes, hubs, and bottom brackets wear out faster and go out of alignment faster. and you'll be spending more money on maintenance and new parts. for example, I have a Trek 8300SL mt bike i bought in 1997 that still has the same shimano XTR derailers on it that work perfectly, and trust me they have tons of abuse on them.

if you dont get what makes you happy though youre not going to ride it as much, if at all, so if it costs a little more, and you like it a lot more, you should consider this

yeah i suppose you could bottom out on the front ring over a curb or jam a pedal on a crack or stick but that will just have to be a riding habit change. wear your helmet!

cagers dont see normal bicyclists or pedestrians so i wouldnt count on them seeing you at all. just be in the mindset you are invisible and that alone will make you 100 times safer. also you could put some reflective 3M tape on the back and sides of your bike for more visibility... or one of those small brightly colored flags (dorky)...

be extremely careful about riding on the sides of main roads around here because how the drivers pass cars on the these sides. expecially a portion of the road where cars typically are stopped/slowing in traffic waiting to turn left.

Last edited:

luvscats

Thanks for the follow up and the details. I had my hopes up for a Catrike Villager but just can't swing the purchase price. I prefer the trikes with the two wheels in front. Have a Trek 2 wheeler and a two wheel recumbent. Now want the stability of a three wheeler.

Guess I'll just have to opt for the Granny bikes. Yuck but at least they are in my financial ball park.

:tantrum