30 Nursing Home Residents Left To Die In Katrina

I can't put blame on the workers. I do not believe they had the means to move them from the beds to safety and had no choice but to leave them. I believe that the nursing home falls in along with every other facility that either didn’t have an evacuation plan or counted on the city’s/state’s plan to fall into place which never happened. I believe accountability should begin at the city level and climb up from there. I can still vision the large number of school buses lined up within 100 yards of the dome that were never called into play and ended up being lost to the flood. That needs to be explained long before the mayor asks for explanations as to why other buses didn't come to the rescue.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
I wonder if its a state run or private facility. Different protocol for each. State run has to have an emergency plan. Private is a toss up.

rack'm

Jaded
kwillia said:
I can't put blame on the workers. I do not believe they had the means to move them from the beds to safety and had no choice but to leave them. I believe that the nursing home falls in along with every other facility that either didn’t have an evacuation plan or counted on the city’s/state’s plan to fall into place which never happened. I believe accountability should begin at the city level and climb up from there. I can still vision the large number of school buses lined up within 100 yards of the dome that were never called into play and ended up being lost to the flood. That needs to be explained long before the mayor asks for explanations as to why other buses didn't come to the rescue.

I think they should have called someone to at least try to get the people out, it’s a death sentence to just walk away and leave them.

I have no doubt that the nurses were saving their own lives when they ran……..perhaps they were nice enough to inject them all to save them from suffering.

I hear ya, rack. I really find it hard to believe that of all the workers someone didn't try to call for help. I believe help was not to be found and the drowning of those folks was not avoidable. Someone should be held accountable, but I don't think it should be at the worker-bee level.

rack'm

Jaded
kwillia said:
I hear ya, rack. I really find it hard to believe that of all the workers someone didn't try to call for help. I believe help was not to be found and the drowning of those folks was not avoidable. Someone should be held accountable, but I don't think it should be at the worker-bee level.

Agreed, they were left holding the stink end of the stick with no one to help them. I don’t remember what hour the levy broke, but if it was in the middle of the night, I’d guess that there was a skeleton crew working.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
rack'm said:
Agreed, they were left holding the stink end of the stick with no one to help them. I don’t remember what hour the levy broke, but if it was in the middle of the night, I’d guess that there was a skeleton crew working.

Well, i would hope they ALL have emergency evacuation plans, but ALL their plans would depend on the same ambulances and the same firecompanie to do the evacuation.. sometime decisions are hard, but already made prior. For example.. do you evacuate a hospital with a pediatric ward, or a nursing home where the youngest resident is probably 85? I would believe that nurses are trained to do what they can, but when it comes to the point of losing your life or the patient who's already lived to 85 + years, I would hope the nurse gets the heck out.

If the same scenario happened here, we do NOT have even close to the amount of ambulances and firetrucks we need to evacuate more then one nursing hom in the county.. and the decision somewhere would have to be
made, that the nursing home residents are going to have to ride out the storm where they are..

and other then Asbury, I think all of the Nursing Homes around here are one floor?

rack'm

Jaded
itsbob said:
If the same scenario happened here, we do NOT have even close to the amount of ambulances and firetrucks we need to evacuate more then one nursing hom in the county.. and the decision somewhere would have to be
made, that the nursing home residents are going to have to ride out the storm where they are..

and other then Asbury, I think all of the Nursing Homes around here are one floor?

Paging Jack Kevorkian, paging Jack Kevorkian.........

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
itsbob said:
Well, i would hope they ALL have emergency evacuation plans, but ALL their plans would depend on the same ambulances and the same firecompanie to do the evacuation.. sometime decisions are hard, but already made prior. For example.. do you evacuate a hospital with a pediatric ward, or a nursing home where the youngest resident is probably 85? I would believe that nurses are trained to do what they can, but when it comes to the point of losing your life or the patient who's already lived to 85 + years, I would hope the nurse gets the heck out.

St. Mary's and the Vets Home are each 3 stories high. Of course they also don't lie in flood zones. They are required to have a minimum of 3 days of food and medicine plus there are back up generators.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
bresamil said:
St. Mary's and the Vets Home are each 3 stories high. Of course they also don't lie in flood zones. They are required to have a minimum of 3 days of food and medicine plus there are back up generators.
Generators are good, are they on the roof?

All theirs had the same equipment.. but the amount of rain, and the flooding ruined the generators, and if that didn't happen (Most generators in nursing homes and hospitals are indoors) the fuel was all contaminated with water..

Food is usually stored on the ground floor if not the basement (usual location for storerooms and kitchens, and generators)... so the first place to get flooded is the "emergency supplies"

And with a 25 - 35 storm surge.. would think everything would be in a flood zone.. Gov't considers a flood zone anyplace that has a history in the prior one hundred years of flooding.. if you haven't had a storm of that magnitude in 100 years, you wouldn't be in a flood zone until the strom hits.. then your insurance doesn't help, because they don't cover floods...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
kwillia said:
I can't put blame on the workers.
I agree. What were they supposed to do - stay there and drown with the old folks? If they can't move them, then there was no choice but to save themselves. I don't fault them for that.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
vraiblonde said:
I agree. What were they supposed to do - stay there and drown with the old folks? If they can't move them, then there was no choice but to save themselves. I don't fault them for that.
:yeahthat:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
vraiblonde said:
And I;'m sure if that was the case, there were a number of nurses that had to be forcibly removed, kicking and screaming..

Hot N Bothered

I'd like to see the other side of the story. 30 were left, but how many were there to start with? Could it be that there were 80 or 100 residents to start out? Did they save the saveable ones, the ones who didn't need electrical devices to survive, while leaving the ones who were on various forms of mechanical support, in hopes that the electricity would hold out long enough for someone to go back for them?

There's too much of the story missing to condem the decisions of the nursing home employees.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Hot N Bothered said:
I'd like to see the other side of the story. 30 were left, but how many were there to start with? Could it be that there were 80 or 100 residents to start out? Did they save the saveable ones, the ones who didn't need electrical devices to survive, while leaving the ones who were on various forms of mechanical support, in hopes that the electricity would hold out long enough for someone to go back for them?

There's too much of the story missing to condem the decisions of the nursing home employees.
Be an AWFUL small nursing home if there were only 30 patients.