$ 300 Dollar Hair Cuts - Because Patriarchy

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
A 2018 report from the U.S. Government Accountability Office confirmed that a variety of products and services targeting female consumers—ranging from deodorant to shaving cream to body spray—cost more than the male equivalent. Services for which women are overcharged go well beyond those provided by hair stylists; the GAO report assessed that women may similarly pay more for mortgage loans relative to their actual risk and have less access to small business credit than men.

A few years prior, New York City ran the numbers and found some of the most frequent offenders: dry cleaning bills for women's shirts ran an average of $4.95 as compared to $2.86 for those worn by men. Jeans for women and men? A 10 percent differential. And back to hair care, shampoos marketed to women—think pink, flowery bottles—cost an average of 48 percent more than those sporting navy blue packaging.

Yes, an educated consumer can buck the system, be diligent to check prices and reject the branding ploy. But that's time and energy, and therefore money, too—a pointlessly unfair burden. The GAO agreed that these differences add up over a lifetime:

"If female and male consumers pay different prices for similar products that they purchase frequently, such as personal care products, this could result in substantial differences in expenditures by gender over time. A consumer's annual spending on a product category can be significant, even when prices for products within that category are low."

https://www.newsweek.com/all-men-en...w-us-economy-bleeds-women-dry-opinion-1464703

Hijinx

Yes, an educated consumer can buck the system, be diligent to check prices and reject the branding ploy. But that's time and energy, and therefore money, too—a pointlessly unfair burden. The GAO agreed that these differences add up over a lifetime:

So: You are saying that women are too lazy to shop for the best price?

I understand why women's haircuts cost more.They usually have more of it, and they look for a stylish cut.
While I go and get an RB (regular boy) cut, that takes a couple of minutes.
I don't use perfume I use Right Guard.
Women use many different scents, and there are a hundred different deodorants for them.
Hair care--A little Jerri's does it for me.
Women have a ton of different things they like to use.

Looks has a lot to do with vanity, women have much more than men.
If they pay more at the dry cleaners refer back to the first paragraph.

officeguy

Here is a secret for all those women: Men's hair products work just as well on female hair as on male hair. If you switch to short hair or go bald, you too can just go to a barber rather than spending hours at the salon to get your highlights done.

glhs837

Power with Control
It's called what the market will bear. You charge what people will pay, Men generally wont pay $5 a shirt to get it done.