Unground vinyl liner pool recommendations wanted

Tori39

Hi....we are planning on having an I ground vinyl liner pool installed and wanted to know of any good/bad experiences with Charles County pool builders. Thanks!

nutz

Hi....we are planning on having an I ground vinyl liner pool installed and wanted to know of any good/bad experiences with Charles County pool builders. Thanks!

Any one in particular? The biggest part is making sure you understand what they put in the contract that you are signing. Find out exactly what is and isn't included in the price (excavation, haul away, build, backfill, hardscape, landscape, water, pumps, filters, etc.) Also look for clauses liquidating their damage liability (driveway, yard, etc.) The sales guy may tell you everything is covered, but it's not. They all expect a large upfront payment and most will try and get all of the monies before the whole job is finished.

McConnell's - very easy to deal with, been in the area a long time.
Anthony and Sylvan - bigger company, do a decent job

bulldog

I recommend The Pool Company (Charles County). We have had our pool for 5 years now and could not be more happy with the results. Steve (owner/operator) and his crew are a class act and they work their tails off to give you exactly what you want. Hans is Steve's sales guy and can be reached at 301-884-8448. He'll come to your house, figure out what you want and if it's possible on your property and then work with you on options. Absolutely no pressure and we took our time making a decision.

I think that both McConnell's and Sylvan are only gunnite pools, but I could be mistaken. A couple of my neighbors have had less than good luck with Sylvan, but I don't know the particulars.

bulldog

I have some pictures that I can send you, but they are too large to post here. PM email address if interested.

Good luck.

Tori39

Thanks....

Appreciate the responses and the offer of sending photos. I have read good things about The Pool Company and was planning on getting an estimate from them. We're hoping to be able to get the pool installed this season but I have no idea how busy pool installations are right now in Charles County. Keeping fingers crossed. Thanks again.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Any particular reason you want a vinyl liner instead of a gunnite and plaster pool? Just curious..I put in a few of each and ended up preferring the gunnite/plaster/tile pools.

Ginger0314

McConnell's did ours. It was a replacement liner. It's 3 years old now and it has creased in a couple of places but it's the ground water here in wet Chuck County. That being said I wish we would have had extra gunite put down but live and learn. They are very nice. The work was excellent. They come and fix anything. They do cement pools. Wouldn't go anywhere else.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Any particular reason you want a vinyl liner instead of a gunnite and plaster pool? Just curious..I put in a few of each and ended up preferring the gunnite/plaster/tile pools.

Ahhhh, the solidness of concrete, gunnite, and marcite w/tile. Just keep the chemicals in check, and you should be home free for decades. It was 25 years before we voluntarily re-marcited, mainly for new tile.

bulldog

Appreciate the responses and the offer of sending photos. I have read good things about The Pool Company and was planning on getting an estimate from them. We're hoping to be able to get the pool installed this season but I have no idea how busy pool installations are right now in Charles County. Keeping fingers crossed. Thanks again.

Just a guess, but getting one installed this year is going to be tough. Maybe installed late this year for use next year.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Ahhhh, the solidness of concrete, gunnite, and marcite w/tile. Just keep the chemicals in check, and you should be home free for decades. It was 25 years before we voluntarily re-marcited, mainly for new tile.

That. For a brief period my company installed (and repaired/rebuilt) pools as a subcontractor for Browning; both types of pool construction. I don't know how much different "concrete" and vinyl liner pools are now as far as initial cost, but I remember liner replacements were very expensive even back then when we did them.

nutz

That. For a brief period my company installed (and repaired/rebuilt) pools as a subcontractor for Browning; both types of pool construction. I don't know how much different "concrete" and vinyl liner pools are now as far as initial cost, but I remember liner replacements were very expensive even back then when we did them.

18 x 36 with an 8 1/2' hopper cost me $850.00 two years ago, self-installed. Not sure where labor and mark up would take it.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
18 x 36 with an 8 1/2' hopper cost me $850.00 two years ago, self-installed. Not sure where labor and mark up would take it.

Wow..that's not bad at all. Best I recall, replacement liners cost easily that much back when I was messing with them. A typical total cost to replace a liner in a pool 18 x 36 was around $2500 minimum...and went up from there if any repairs were required to the coping, plumbing, grout surface, etc...

Tori39

We've had a vinyl liner pool for 14 years and really like it. I like the different design choices with vinyl. Plus I'm used to and familiar with taking care of it. Just like to stay with what I know. Too many changes in my life already lately.