The Piscivore's Dilemma.....

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Link

"The oceans are in serious trouble, creating a tough question for consumers: Should I eat wild fish, farmed fish, or no fish at all? The author, a longtime student of marine environments, dove into an amazing new world of ethical harvesters, renegade farmers, and problem-solving scientists. The result: your guide to sustainably enjoying nature's finest source of protein.

I contemplated the simple sandwich on the plate in front of me: a beautiful slab of glistening rainbow trout, crisp lettuce, and a freshly baked French roll. The trout skin was lightly seared and seasoned. The pinkish meat was firm and toothsome. I genuflected briefly, then two-fisted the thing and took a big bite. A slightly smoky, sweet flavor gave my taste buds a sensation long denied. I chased it with a slug of Fort Point ale. Soon, both fish sandwich and beer were gone. I am a vegan, but I was untroubled. Eating the trout seemed like the right thing to do.

The journey to that sandwich began a few months earlier with a question from a friend who wants to eat sustainably: What fish can I eat? My response was the same one I have given for years: You should eat no fish at all.

I haven’t always felt this way. I grew up on the East Coast, spent a lot of time on the Atlantic Ocean, and ate more than my share of salmon, tuna, crabs, scallops, and whatever other seafood was on offer. But a few years ago, as I began to write extensively about the relationship between humans and animals, especially the lives of marine mammals in captivity, my thinking changed. What we eat affects the health of the planet as much, if not more, than what kind of car we drive or where we set the thermostat. The more I learned, the more I came to believe that the single most powerful choice an individual can make is to stop eating animal protein. So, in 2010, I became a vegetarian. After about a year, realizing I could manage without cream in my coffee and eggs for breakfast, I took the next step and went vegan.

I didn’t evangelize about it. I made my choice; others could make theirs. But I noticed that when I was asked about my reasons, there always seemed to be special interest in the question of fish, which even the vegetarian-inclined still want to eat. Setting aside my vegan concerns about fish welfare—laugh if you like, but then go watch a beautiful, fighting-mad bluefin tuna being gaffed on YouTube—anyone who has been paying attention knows a dispiriting truth: wild fish are being decimated by the world’s increasingly teched-out, 4.7-million-vessel fishing fleet.

The United Nations’ Food and Agriculture Organization estimates that 90 percent of marine fish stocks are either fully exploited or overexploited. Meanwhile, fish farming, with its reputation for overcrowding and antibiotic-laced, fecal-polluting practices, doesn’t sound like a very appealing solution. And there appears to be no shortage of crooks and liars, from fraudulent distributors to fact-twisting chefs and fishmongers, at just about every link in the distribution chain.

According to a recent Associated Press investigation, you can’t even be sure your supermarket isn’t stocking seafood caught by fish pirates in Indonesia, who kidnap and enslave impoverished Southeast Asians to work on their boats. The slaves work untenable long hours for little to no pay, are locked up at night, and are often beaten if they don’t perform as told. Where’s the argument for eating fish in all that?" .....

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
[ you can’t even be sure your supermarket isn’t stocking seafood caught by fish pirates in Indonesia, who kidnap and enslave impoverished Southeast Asians to work on their boats. ...

Bet that gave you a boner, boy. You mooching money for a plane ticket yet?

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Just look locally at the bay. Hardly any crabs or oysters left. Solomons use to have oyster shucking businesses that have long been boarded up. Watermen were short sighted while chasing a buck. Same thing with crabs. Luckily the rockfish made it back. Shad and menhaden are still struggling to rebound from overharvesting.

oysters.png

Farm raised seafood will never match wild caught for texture, color or flavor. Too many places in the world can't manage their take from the water. They dynamite the reefs in the Philippines for a few kilos of fish. Invasive species like snakeheads and lionfish push out the native populations.

It won't be long now before people will have to go to a museum to see some fish & shellfish species.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Too many places in the world can't manage their take from the water.

Some of the fishing operations around the world are truly massive in scale...they sweep vast areas of the ocean literally clean of anything within the reach of their incredibly large nets. Large..very large..so-called factory ships stay offshore for long periods of time, supporting the fishing fleet and processing the catch continuously right on the spot.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Some of the fishing operations around the world are truly massive in scale...they sweep vast areas of the ocean literally clean of anything within the reach of their incredibly large nets. Large..very large..so-called factory ships stay offshore for long periods of time, supporting the fishing fleet and processing the catch continuously right on the spot.

Instead of the word manage I should have used regulate. As in set limits to the number or weight of fish allowed to harvest. Instead they end up raping the resource until not enough are left to sustain the population.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
As a pescatarian, I don't have this problem. Not all my meals have a meat based protein anyway. Buy local. And if you do buy from a grocery store, they always display country of origin and if it was wild or farm. Buy American. Buy from a farm. No worries.

Seriously people will whine about anything.