Lecturing and Caring

PsyOps

Pixelated
When I started the thread ‘What do you do’, it was my intent in to try to understand why people do the things they do on the road. Perhaps I’m a little naïve in that I didn’t expect a bunch of lecturing about chilling out and such. Now GoherM starts a traffic thread and gets a bunch of lecturing.

I feel kind of compelled to defend myself and say that I am NOT a roadrager. I do not flip out over the annoying things people do; flipping people off that don’t do it the way I do it. The most of my response might be “I can’t believe what that guy just did”. I do things my way, and mostly accept that others do things their way. But I will not deny that a lot of what happens around me on the road annoys me; only from the standpoint of… I don’t want to die because of someone else’s selfishness. I’m sure this annoyance has health risks.

I have a fairly long commute to work (about 40 miles one way). As the years go on I feel it has become, more and more, a life-risking event; and it shouldn’t be this way. For someone that has a family and a job to get food on the table, I shouldn’t have to worry about really selfish people that will do things to risk my life, who is simply trying to get from point A to point B, all because they feel they are more important than everyone else. So, I’ll say, it’s hard to ‘chill out’ with people that don’t give a damn about anyone else; and it’s pretty annoying to be lectured by people that making assumptions about my state of mind when confronted with really bad drivers.

I thought this was a good place to come to vent my concerns about bad drivers in hopes it might cause people to think about what they’re doing (even though the larger part of me knows it won’t). Instead of that happening, posting threads like this only becomes a stomping ground for people that want to do nothing more than lecture others. We get on here a bitch and complain about a plethora of things where, in every instance, someone could say “chill out, life is too short”. Nearly everyone is guilty of ‘flipping out’ on one issue or another; no one is exempt from having health-risking anger-responses to this or that issue. So we all need to chill out.

That all being said............... I have taken the lectures to heart. There are things that bother me that really shouldn’t. At my age I should know better than to let little nitnoid things get the best of me. Life does have far more good things to focus on than bad. So… thank you – those that did – for your lectures and desire for me to look at the brighter side of things. I know it comes in the vein of caring and friendship.

frequentflier

happy to be living
When I started the thread ‘What do you do’, it was my intent in to try to understand why people do the things they do on the road. Perhaps I’m a little naïve in that I didn’t expect a bunch of lecturing about chilling out and such. Now GoherM starts a traffic thread and gets a bunch of lecturing.

I feel kind of compelled to defend myself and say that I am NOT a roadrager. I do not flip out over the annoying things people do; flipping people off that don’t do it the way I do it. The most of my response might be “I can’t believe what that guy just did”. I do things my way, and mostly accept that others do things their way. But I will not deny that a lot of what happens around me on the road annoys me; only from the standpoint of… I don’t want to die because of someone else’s selfishness. I’m sure this annoyance has health risks.

I have a fairly long commute to work (about 40 miles one way). As the years go on I feel it has become, more and more, a life-risking event; and it shouldn’t be this way. For someone that has a family and a job to get food on the table, I shouldn’t have to worry about really selfish people that will do things to risk my life, who is simply trying to get from point A to point B, all because they feel they are more important than everyone else. So, I’ll say, it’s hard to ‘chill out’ with people that don’t give a damn about anyone else; and it’s pretty annoying to be lectured by people that making assumptions about my state of mind when confronted with really bad drivers.

I thought this was a good place to come to vent my concerns about bad drivers in hopes it might cause people to think about what they’re doing (even though the larger part of me knows it won’t). Instead of that happening, posting threads like this only becomes a stomping ground for people that want to do nothing more than lecture others. We get on here a bitch and complain about a plethora of things where, in every instance, someone could say “chill out, life is too short”. Nearly everyone is guilty of ‘flipping out’ on one issue or another; no one is exempt from having health-risking anger-responses to this or that issue. So we all need to chill out.

That all being said............... I have taken the lectures to heart. There are things that bother me that really shouldn’t. At my age I should know better than to let little nitnoid things get the best of me. Life does have far more good things to focus on than bad. So… thank you – those that did – for your lectures and desire for me to look at the brighter side of things. I know it comes in the vein of caring and friendship.

:huggy:

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
good on ya, yup opinions are like azzholes, everyone’s got one and they think theirs is the correct one.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
… I don’t want to die because of someone else’s selfishness. I’m sure this annoyance has health risks.

...At my age I should know better than to let little nitnoid things get the best of me...

OK, so, this boils the thing down; on the one hand, you're concerned, rightly so, about dangerous drivers yet seem to be very much aware that how and when people merge at construction zones is not a danger to you; only an annoyance.

So, I'd say most of the lecturing you got on this comes from the view that you are fussing over a small thing, little to no danger to yourself, and are seeking some control by how you 'defend' your turf in merging as you see fit, ie, not letting someone in and, further, justifying the whole thing by arguing you are simply trying to get people to think about what they're doing and improve their behavior...as you see it.

Certainly you're entitled to think THEY'RE doing it wrong and inconveniencing everyone else but, as many argued, you are presuming to know what they're thinking, that they are simply out to get you and others, to take from others, and you can't know that and what you CAN know is that it is not personal yet you take it that way. Furthermore, as I pointed out, they're NOT taking time from you. If they merged sooner, the slow down occurs sooner. They don't take anymore space sooner or later. Your time is the same even if it doesn't feel like it and if you get into a fender bender battling over your turf then we're talking lost time.

I judge it NOT worth the stress or annoyance you feel and I do so by suggesting you think about not taking it personally and that comes from experience for me of realizing that it CAN'T be personal. To feel that way at first isn't some crazy thing. Natural competition expresses itself however it does and most people DO feel they've 'cut' in line but, then what? If you're convinced that it is important enough an intrusion, you have that choice. I'm suggesting it may not be. :buddies:

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Perhaps you shouldn't use words like "nitnoid" as "That's an odd word..seldom used by others." It annoys Gilligan.

PsyOps

Pixelated
OK, so, this boils the thing down; on the one hand, you're concerned, rightly so, about dangerous drivers yet seem to be very much aware that how and when people merge at construction zones is not a danger to you; only an annoyance.

So, I'd say most of the lecturing you got on this comes from the view that you are fussing over a small thing, little to no danger to yourself, and are seeking some control by how you 'defend' your turf in merging as you see fit, ie, not letting someone in and, further, justifying the whole thing by arguing you are simply trying to get people to think about what they're doing and improve their behavior...as you see it.

Certainly you're entitled to think THEY'RE doing it wrong and inconveniencing everyone else but, as many argued, you are presuming to know what they're thinking, that they are simply out to get you and others, to take from others, and you can't know that and what you CAN know is that it is not personal yet you take it that way. Furthermore, as I pointed out, they're NOT taking time from you. If they merged sooner, the slow down occurs sooner. They don't take anymore space sooner or later. Your time is the same even if it doesn't feel like it and if you get into a fender bender battling over your turf then we're talking lost time.

I judge it NOT worth the stress or annoyance you feel and I do so by suggesting you think about not taking it personally and that comes from experience for me of realizing that it CAN'T be personal. To feel that way at first isn't some crazy thing. Natural competition expresses itself however it does and most people DO feel they've 'cut' in line but, then what? If you're convinced that it is important enough an intrusion, you have that choice. I'm suggesting it may not be. :buddies:

More lecturing. Thank you Larry.