Over the air TV in Lexington Park

PeoplesElbow

Anyone use an antenna to get DC and Baltimore stations? Is an indoor antenna good enough? Do you get all four networks?

Getting sick of paying Metrocast $100/month.

merc669

Why not read the tech and computer threads... You may find enlightenment there.....As far as OTH I lived off Great Mills Rd and even in a townhouse and an 6 foot tower it was questionable. There is an Antenna page somewhere that you can put your address in and it will show you an approximate estimate as to what you can receive from an OTH Antenna. Someone may have that address. Otherwise Stream and read the local news on the internet.

http://forums.somd.com/threads/282987-Many-cutting-the-cord-on-cable-satellite

Last edited:
There are probably 2-3 other threads on just this subject.

That said: I use an antenna. An indoor will not cut it. I have a small outdoor on a chimney mast with a rotor, and on a clear winter night I get about 30 stations, but many are from the Eastern Shore. Right now, with the heat and change in weather, reception with my small antenna is kinda hit or miss. I really need to upgrade to a full size long range antenna.

PeoplesElbow

I know there were other threads about it, read them but there was very little actual experience from people in the Lexington Park area.

Shame there are no local affiliates in the area, the little town of 6000 I am from has a CBS, ABC (was formerly an NBC), Fox and CW.

Goldenhawk

Shame there are no local affiliates in the area, the little town of 6000 I am from has a CBS, ABC (was formerly an NBC), Fox and CW.
Yeah, but it's really hard to justify adding more stations when you understand signal reception calculations.

I was recently involved in a successful effort to obtain a local (Pax River area) radio station license from the FCC for a low-power broadcast antenna. I was shocked to see how crowded the air waves are, and how difficult it really is to fit a station into an existing market. Finding a clear channel in your exact area is one thing. But finding a channel that doesn't step on the signal of other stations 100 miles away is another thing entirely. It's all about avoiding overlap, that would steal clear signal from other viewers/listeners at the edges of your own station. First come, first served, and Lex Park is fairly late to the game, as far as major population centers go.

I agree it stinks that we can't get solid signal here, so close to DC/Baltimore/Richmond/Salisbury, but since each of those major markets have a host of existing stations, there's honestly no way to fit any more stations in between all of those.

By the way, TVFool is a pretty good website for viewing actual signal strength calculations.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=f1f0fbbf230243

sunflower

Loving My Life...
We use one. We get 7 stations. Most are from Delaware for news...
We pickup cbs.fox 5,nbc,cw and two other ones..

Paid 20.00 for it...Indoor

H

Hodr

We use one. We get 7 stations. Most are from Delaware for news...
We pickup cbs.fox 5,nbc,cw and two other ones..

Paid 20.00 for it...Indoor

I feel like this depends heavily on your location. I live in Lexington Park, conveniently at one of the highest elevated points, and in the attic of my 2 story home I am unable to get any channels with an indoor antenna. I have tried several, powered and unpowered, using short runs of cable (50ohm, 75ohm, RG-59/RG-6), and still nothing. A couple of the antennas have hundreds of reviews on Amazon stating people are easily pulling in stations from 75+ miles away.

Rather than put something outside of the house, I just opted for Hulu. Get's everything but CBS programming.