Renewing a license online

SamSpade

I've never done it, but I'd like to know how they do it. I dread having to wait in line at the MVA if it can be done online, but I can't figure out how they get my picture in there, since the instructions online mention nothing about it.

Anyone? Easy?

Shericita

Is it all make believe?
I tried it because I too dread going to the DMV. Once I entered my birthdate it told me I had to renew in person to take the eye exam. I guess these 47 year old eyes can't be trusted on the roads. I don't even wear glasses...pffft.

Radiant1

Soul Probe
I've never done it, but I'd like to know how they do it. I dread having to wait in line at the MVA if it can be done online, but I can't figure out how they get my picture in there, since the instructions online mention nothing about it.

Anyone? Easy?

I've never done it, but I was under the impression they use the same picture from your previous license.

SamSpade

I tried it because I too dread going to the DMV. Once I entered my birthdate it told me I had to renew in person to take the eye exam. I guess these 47 year old eyes can't be trusted on the roads. I don't even wear glasses...pffft.

See, my notice told me that too, but it also said I could submit an exam from my eye doctor.
I need to visit mine anyway, so I wondered if anyone had done this.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
I spent 40 minutes at Loveville on Friday. That's not too bad of a wait and they were busier than Hell with tag renewals.

You can submit something from your eye doctor unless you're told you have to go in the MVA for the exam.

SamSpade

I spent 40 minutes at Loveville on Friday. That's not too bad of a wait and they were busier than Hell with tag renewals.

You can submit something from your eye doctor unless you're told you have to go in the MVA for the exam.

Cool - so they use my old pic? I'd much rather do that.

Loveville used to be a REALLY short wait - I once mentioned years ago, I went in to renew my tag, and Gary Wright's "Dreamweaver" was just starting as I went in - and it was JUST ending as I went out. So, what, five minutes?

DEEKAYPEE8569

Figured I'd chime in.....
Not last year; but the time before that; however many years ago; I went to the DMV and used their antiquated equipment to take the eye test. The "administrator" puts a slide into the device and says, 'Read line 4.' I said, 'There is no line 4.' 'Yes, there is.' 'Um, no, there isn't.' The aforementioned takes the slide out; looks at it and says, 'Huh.....Okay, you pass.'

Last year, I went to the Wally*World vision center and was given a proper eye exam. Dr. says, 'You don't need glasses to drive.' 'You need glasses to read;' something I already knew and have non-prescription glasses for.

So IMO, if your D/L renewal is drawing near, make an appointment with an Optometrist to get your eyes checked. It's an additional fee you have to pay, but at least you won't have someone who is not a medical professional telling you you need glasses to drive; when you might not.

As far as renewing a license online.....I'd rather deal with the DMV. Something about online renewal just leaves more room for error on someone's part.

Last edited:

SamSpade

So IMO, if your D/L renewal is drawing near, make an appointment with an Optometrist to get your eyes checked. It's an additional fee you have to pay, but at least you won't have someone who is not a medical professional telling you you need glasses to drive; when you might not.

I had the forethought to sign up for vision insurance last fall, so my exam will be free. And my best friend is an optometrist.

Thank you.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I renewed mine in March. I actually had to print out and fill in the form and then take it to my eye doctor to fill out a section. Then I mailed it in and had a new DL with an old picture in a little over a week.

Stew

Years ago when I had to renew my license at the DMV I failed the eye exam. I couldn't believe it, I thought my vision was fine and that something had to be wrong with the machine they used! Guy tested me on 2 different machines and I still failed. He laughed at me and said man you need glasses. Went to the eye dr and found out he was right. Was totally amazed how clear everything looked afterwards, never would have known if not for failing that test. Thank you DMV.. haha

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Cool - so they use my old pic? I'd much rather do that.

Loveville used to be a REALLY short wait - I once mentioned years ago, I went in to renew my tag, and Gary Wright's "Dreamweaver" was just starting as I went in - and it was JUST ending as I went out. So, what, five minutes?

The wait is still pretty short there, I just happened to go last Friday and, as I mentioned, they were really swamped with tag renewals. They had 4 lines for driver's license renewals open and were running people through them one after another. Just lots of people there (did I mention the parking lot was completely full?).

Lexib_

Blah.. Blah...Blah
I renewed mine online. I had no issues and I got it in the mail in about a week. Its the same picture from the last time I renewed it.

acommondisaster

The wait is still pretty short there, I just happened to go last Friday and, as I mentioned, they were really swamped with tag renewals. They had 4 lines for driver's license renewals open and were running people through them one after another. Just lots of people there (did I mention the parking lot was completely full?).

I disagree. The last time I went to Loveville, the line was horrendous (earlier this year). Their explanation was that on certain days of the week, they send employees to work at other centers. When I finally got to talk to someone there, it turned out they couldn't help me. I spent the better part of the day there without success. Spent less than 20 minutes the next day in Waldorf MVA and got it all taken care of at a kiosk. And granted, Waldorf MVA can be a mess, too.

Idunno

I was just there on Tuesday. All of 15 minutes to renew including a new picture. I went in the early afternoon, not many people in the waiting area. Two lines open for renewals that were moving right along, about one every 7 minutes or so for each line. People in Loveville are just much more pleasant to deal with than in Waldorf or Largo.

General Lee

If you've never renewed on line, the old picture will be used. Next time you will have to do it person as I believe they eye test you every other renewal until you're established you need glasses.

Escalade14

Go Rams!
Renewing your license online really depends on how recent the vision test is. We were going to renew my Grandmother's license online last year but couldn't get far because they needed her to take the vision test. As for renewing other things online, our tags and registration were renewed online with no problem. Received new sticker and registration within two weeks. My state ID card comes up for renewal in November of '16, and I plan to do this online. I'm fine with the same photo. Anything beats the long wait at the Waldorf location. Doesn't matter what time you get there, you will still be waiting, even at opening time.