Dish Network got fried last night,I think

luvmylabs

Woke up to no tv service at all. We have Dish,with the hopper and Joey system. Nothing is working at all. Spent like an hour with tech support and they are mailing me a new receiver. The timing is suspect to me though - we never lost power but do you guys think it was from the lightning? I have the receiver plugged in to a power strip - no surge protector :( - and a ps3 and roku is also plugged in. They are working fine. How can all these things be plugged in to the same thing and not be damaged. Not that I'm complaining about that!

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Woke up to no tv service at all. We have Dish,with the hopper and Joey system. Nothing is working at all. Spent like an hour with tech support and they are mailing me a new receiver. The timing is suspect to me though - we never lost power but do you guys think it was from the lightning? I have the receiver plugged in to a power strip - no surge protector :( - and a ps3 and roku is also plugged in. They are working fine. How can all these things be plugged in to the same thing and not be damaged. Not that I'm complaining about that!

Could also be the LNA on the antenna.
Are you receiving a signal?

luvmylabs

Can that come from a storm? Is it possible to just replace that? I hate losing recordings and dish wants to send a new reciever.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Can that come from a storm? Is it possible to just replace that? I hate losing recordings and dish wants to send a new reciever.

Yep, especially if the dish isn't lightening protected.

Did you remove the power cord from your receiver and let it be for a minute or so and then return power to it?

luvmylabs

Yep, especially if the dish isn't lightening protected.

Did you remove the power cord from your receiver and let it be for a minute or so and then return power to it?

Yes. The dish rep had me unplugging things,waiting ten seconds and plugging back in,etc. So if the damage is the dish,replacing the reciever won't fix it,will it? They just offered to mail me a reciever for me to hook up. No mention of the dish itself.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Yes. The dish rep had me unplugging things,waiting ten seconds and plugging back in,etc. So if the damage is the dish,replacing the reciever won't fix it,will it? They just offered to mail me a reciever for me to hook up. No mention of the dish itself.

If it is the dish lna/lnb that has the fault a new receiver won't help at all. Does someone living close to you also have Dish Network? If so ask if you could check your receiver hooked to their dish. Also if the receiver "fried" you should be able to smell the burnt circuitry.

luvmylabs

No smell. Everyone here has Metrocast :( I'm going to contact Dish and specifically ask if they can send a tech by to check this. Thanks for your advice!

luvmylabs

Well,they just about told me to F off. Said they had techs for new installs in my area only and that if this won't work then they will send someone out. :( Three day wait for the new reciever and they're giving me a three dollar credit. :(

Well,they just about told me to F off. Said they had techs for new installs in my area only and that if this won't work then they will send someone out. :( Three day wait for the new reciever and they're giving me a three dollar credit. :(
Well, it makes sense to see if it's receiver before they send a tech out.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I don't think so. The tv says the receiver isn't connected on the joeys,and then the main one just keeps saying starting up and then goes black.

sounds like mama died

Could be hung up. Did you try removing all power (as in unplug and let is sit for a few minutes)?

I'm sure they had you do a reset - that's standard procedure 001

It's typical for the satellite providers to push software overnight and if there was a glitch during the download, you might be screwed.

luvmylabs

Well, it makes sense to see if it's receiver before they send a tech out.

It really doesn't. Let's say it is the lnb thing. They are paying to ship me a new rciever,plus the cost of the new reciever,and return shipping. If it isn't a fix,they then have to send someone out and fix the lnb. Leaving me without tv service for a week,probably. The soonest Ill get the new reciever in the mail is maybe Thursday. Then you've got a weekend. Why not tell a tech in the area hey,between installs swing by and see if this is the problem? You've kept the customer happy and fixed the issue at minimal cost. Instead,I get a week off to contemplate living with just Netflix and Hulu. Which I might like.

sm8

sounds like mama died

Could be hung up. Did you try removing all power (as in unplug and let is sit for a few minutes)?

I'm sure they had you do a reset - that's standard procedure 001

It's typical for the satellite providers to push software overnight and if there was a glitch during the download, you might be screwed.

Just wanted to add when unplugging from all power to include the cable wire in that list of things to unplug.

sm8

Wait..what? Do you mean do t just unplug the receiver,but also the cord connecting it to the outside?

Yes, we had a similar sounding problem and I was told to also unplug the cable that connects the receiver to the dish because a low voltage power supply comes from that cord. They said to let it sit for 10-15 minutes and then plug everything back in. It worked to fix ours.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Yes, we had a similar sounding problem and I was told to also unplug the cable that connects the receiver to the dish because a low voltage power supply comes from that cord. They said to let it sit for 10-15 minutes and then plug everything back in. It worked to fix ours.

We have four TV's. When the signal drops out and the 'loss of signal' instruction screen pops up, we either turn off the receivers being used and wait 10-15 minutes, then turn them back on; or we watch something on the DVR and occasionally check to see if the signal's back up. That usually works. At least it did last night when the signal dropped out.

GopherM

Darwin was right
Looks like it took out one of my DVRs from DirecTV. Living room wouldn't work, kitchen was OK and I had pulled the receiver from the bedroom in preparation for our move so I connected that one to the living room set and it worked fine. I guess it is no big deal since I am turning in those receivers as soon as we get to the new home.

luvmylabs

Our receiver is definitely shot. I've tried everything. But after the interaction with Dish I got to thinking,I'm paying them plus I pay for Netflix and Hulu. I started thinking about how much do I actually watch t.v. and how much of it is just habit. Just so used to having tv from cable or satellite that it's a given. Everything I like to watch I can find streaming. I think I'm going to use this week as a trial run of having no satellite and see how we like it. We don't watch the news,don't like sports,and only watch a few shows and the rest is movies.