Weather: what's going on?

DEEKAYPEE8569

Is there a hurricane or something? Why is it raining so crazy all week???

weather.com (California, MD as a reference):
http://www.weather.com/weather/map/interactive/l/20619:4:US?animation=true&interactiveMapLayer=radar

This looks like a counterclockwise-rotating system that is moving out of NC; along and up the VA coast and up to us. It looks like the heavy rains are over; with possible showers overnight.

Shoot, shortly we won't be able to buy a drop of rain. So, this is a good thing.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
Is there a hurricane or something? Why is it raining so crazy all week???
If I may ...

This is what happens when government is in charge of the weather. The legislation for the current rain sat in committee for over three weeks while everyone bickered how those in California would feel about the east coast getting some of their water. Well, after a lengthy battle and some compromises, they figured to make up for the lost cycles during the debates and let us have all at once. California was told they would have to wait until more water could be appropriated, something about convection currents and the department responsible for moving cold air masses. It seems they are a bit understaffed and their budget cut due to sequestration. So I guess living so close to the seat of power might have it's advantages?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If I may ...

This is what happens when government is in charge of the weather. The legislation for the current rain sat in committee for over three weeks while everyone bickered how those in California would feel about the east coast getting some of their water. Well, after a lengthy battle and some compromises, they figured to make up for the lost cycles during the debates and let us have all at once. California was told they would have to wait until more water could be appropriated, something about convection currents and the department responsible for moving cold air masses. It seems they are a bit understaffed and their budget cut due to sequestration. So I guess living so close to the seat of power might have it's advantages?

:lmao:

You win the internet today! :notworthy:

Vince

If I may ...

Just blame it on Global warming and the Californian's will be OK with it.

Hessian

30 years living in Md....never had to turn on the furnace in June. I just did it twice in the past week.
This is highly unusual. I have become more convinced within the past 6 months that we are heading into a chilling period. (Perhaps decades!)

bilbur

30 years living in Md....never had to turn on the furnace in June. I just did it twice in the past week.
This is highly unusual. I have become more convinced within the past 6 months that we are heading into a chilling period. (Perhaps decades!)

What makes me mad is if you look at the global weather for this past winter and spring the east coast of the US is one of the only places in the world that was unusually cold due to the polar vortex. Everyware else experienced higher than normal temperaturs. I guess we were just the lucky ones :sarcasm:. If climate change is real I would be good with it warming up just enough to make our climate like Florida's. It can hold at that for the next 60 years then I don't care what happens.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Oh No .... an Ice Age

Hessian

1610+....1810+ Does anyone know their history of the East coast climate patterns?

When Smith was at Jamestown,...he recorded 2 feet of measurable snow. It is possible the food shortages facing the colonists overlapped with lousy harvests among the Powhattan.

1808+...The year without the summer--frost appeared through much of New England through the summer. People spoke of famine.
Boston harbor froze over during that era. (SALT WATER HARBOR) Some historic climatologists also point to volcanic activity in the Pacific....but, the two periods have another element in common: VERY low sunspot patterns.

200 years later: Buffalo: 6 feet of snow in November, Great lakes had ice on them into early May. Memorial Day snow in New England (inches). New Brunswick just got 2-3 inches of snow this morning. AND, wait for it:....Sun spots are at their lowest in decades.

So...interested? Look up the Dalton Minimum...even on Youtube, and look at the data,...then form your own opinions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ew05sRDAcU

Last edited:
So much for "the polars are melting... :jameo: the polars are melting...:jameo:"

"Sea ice extent in Antarctica last month set a new record high for the month of May, according to data from the US National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC).

Meanwhile Arctic sea ice extent in May was the third lowest on record but essentially the same as it was a decade ago – marginally above the levels recorded in 2004 and 2006.

NSIDC data shows average sea ice extent around Antarctica reached 12.10 million sq. km. in May – some 12 per cent above the long term average for the period from 1981 to 2010 of 10.79 million sq.km. May sea ice extent in Antarctica is growing at a rate of 2.9 per cent per decade, according to NSIDC data."

http://www.reportingclimatescience....e/antarctic-sea-ice-sets-new-high-in-may.html