Need help with car keys

PJumper

Looking for a local Locksmith (in the Tri-County area) who could cut keys based on car's VIN information. I twisted my key last night and broke. Any other suggestion will be appreciated.

Blister

Dealer was the easiest route for me. I bought an old Chevy Silverado, that only came with one key that was so worn no one could use it to cut a new key. Went to the Chevy dealer in Leonardtown and 5 minutes and $11.00 later I was set. Actually had them cut a couple more for a few bucks each from that one. If you have the key with the chip, dealers can do those from the VIN also for quite a bit more. I have never checked price with a locksmith, but I am sure some can do it.

Looking for a local Locksmith (in the Tri-County area) who could cut keys based on car's VIN information. I twisted my key last night and broke. Any other suggestion will be appreciated.

As already mentioned - dealership would be best- about $90/100 or so for a chipped key. Guy Motors in Mechanicsville can do it if you cant or dont want a dealership to do the job.

Dead Eye

T.P.F.er
Yes go to dealer unless you have the key code. IF you saved the stuff that came with the car new then there is a little metal tag with numbers on it and this is your key code, often its in a plastic pocket in the back of your owners book just sitting in the glove box.

glhs837

Power with Control
Unless you know the model year and maker, all of this advice means nothing, as different makers use different systems. Some chipped keys are pretty easy to replace. Some not. Dodge for instance, you have to have a new key that has never been used, and either have two good keys or use a special computer to teach the new key to the car.

PJumper

Unless you know the model year and maker, all of this advice means nothing, as different makers use different systems. Some chipped keys are pretty easy to replace. Some not. Dodge for instance, you have to have a new key that has never been used, and either have two good keys or use a special computer to teach the new key to the car.

Thanks for all the advise. It's for a 1999 Mazda Miata, regular key, not chipped.

FED_UP

Got hold of Waldorf Mazda, they can do it of the VIN. Thanks again everyone!

The McKay's that use to be on Great Mills road had an old style key machine which could cut by a hand guide. A guy brought a key to me one day that was broken in 1/2 and it was his only key to a very old sporty car. I was able to clamp in the two pieces, after the third attempt he was happy on his way. The clamping system on that old style machine would have straightened your key most likely to while cutting a new one.

I still can't find my extra remote car key :banghead: