300lb 12 year old told "too big to play football"

Misfit

Lawful neutral
Boy, 12, ruled too big to play football - Dallas News | myFOXdfw.com

MESQUITE, Texas - There's a battle off the field in Mesquite over a young football player who has been told he's too big and cannot play.

At 12 years old Elijah Earnheart stands over 6 feet tall and weights almost 300 pounds.

For the past three weeks he's been practicing with the Mesquite Vikings, a Mesquite Pee Wee Football Association team. But on Sunday at a pre-season weigh-in he was told he's too big and can't suit up.

The president of the league said the rule is any seventh grader over 135 pounds is barred and must play in the school league.

jetmonkey

Boy, 12, ruled too big to play football - Dallas News | myFOXdfw.com

MESQUITE, Texas - There's a battle off the field in Mesquite over a young football player who has been told he's too big and cannot play.

At 12 years old Elijah Earnheart stands over 6 feet tall and weights almost 300 pounds.

For the past three weeks he's been practicing with the Mesquite Vikings, a Mesquite Pee Wee Football Association team. But on Sunday at a pre-season weigh-in he was told he's too big and can't suit up.

The president of the league said the rule is any seventh grader over 135 pounds is barred and must play in the school league.

not jumbo

bcp

In My Opinion
The lawsuit that his mom brings is nothing compared to what will come when he ends up killing a normal size kid in the league.

Feel sorry for him but there has to be some safety involved in the decision.

Asmodeus

....=o&o>
Kinda silly lawsuit... Even when I played football at 12 ( and that was a while ago!) you had to be below a standard weight... Texas has always been that way to in parks&recs ball... I coached there for few years and we had a couple of really big kids come out that couldn't play for us... I don't remember ever letting them practice... They usually had to weigh-in before the first practice, and you could tell they were not going to get in...

They were disappointed but no one ever sued, to my knowledge...

"I don't want to play in school right now because it's people that's had experience and I want to get some experience first and then start playing,"

There is a Junior High School Football coach salivating over this kid... almost 300 lbs? Don't worry about experience kid... You'll learn the offensive and defensive lines pretty quickly...

b23hqb

PREMO Member
You'll learn the offensive and defensive lines pretty quickly...

He'll BE the O and D line at the same time.....

Rt235

Texas is ALL about football...but maybe he should try out for the Sumo team instead!
Age 12 and 300 pounds...YIKES!! ( at any height!!)