Why I end up doing everything to my house and cars DIY

glhs837

Power with Control
Just can't seem to be able to reasonably expect to get good, reliable workmanship virtually anywhere. Either the tradedperson wants to do it incorrectly, like the guy who told me all I need to change my sheet vinyl over to tile was to lay some luan over it and go. Or simply sucks at the job, like the vehicle inspector who hit me on a car not having a catalytic convertor when it did (94 Toyota stock location, not something exotic). Had a guy come over to look at replacing the plywood on the front porch with composite deck boards. 36x8. Porch outer perimeter is concrete, a continuation of the foundation of the house, a kneewall really. If it were framed conventionally, there would be eight foot joists (I think 2x8x8, maybe 2x10x8 for extra solidity) running from the house out to the rim joist on top of the kneewall. And you would lay deck boards the long way, parallel to the long wall.

But, knowing the were laying ply, and I assume wanting to save case, they instead ran what looks like a 2x10 that way every eight feet or so, and ran the joists (2x6x8, 16 o.c.) parallel to the house. So you cannot lay the decking that way. So, guy was coming out while I was at work, sister in law told him how the decking had to run, and that he should take a look through the access hatch to see why. Of course, he couldn't bother with that, just told her if I wanted it that way, it was going to take a lot of blocking at extra expense..........

Why not just freakin listen, and look? What's so damn hard about sliding a catch and looking......... Now you are going to spend I don't know how long estimating based on stuff that isn't real.......

This is why I end up doing everything myself.

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
I do everything myself also. I don't trust anyone. Had HVAC guy tell me he couldn't troubleshoot the outside unit at my rental because the fan motor seized. Since it was an older unit the motors are not available and he suggested whole new system for $6k. I found a factory motor online and replaced it myself for $120. Capacitors and ignitors are another rip off on HVAC systems, they cost under $20, $100 for visit/troubleshoot and $100 for labor. Can't buy them at hardware stores or HVAC supply because you have to have a license. I buy them on line from suppliers and keep them on standby.

I can go on about auto repairs, plumbing, well systems, appliances, anything...

Grumpy

I don't trust anyone. ...

^yeahthat..Had a car inspected and they said the serpentine belt was bad, they would replace it for $175 parts and labor..Belt had the tiniest nick in it, but went to Autozone, bought a new belt for $28, put it on in the parking lot and returned to the repair / inspection place in 25 minutes to get my inspection papers. So many businesses really suck nowadays

LibertyBeacon

Unto dust we shall return
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein

glhs837

Power with Control
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein

Have always loved that one.

nutz

Just can't seem to be able to reasonably expect to get good, reliable workmanship virtually anywhere. Either the tradedperson wants to do it incorrectly, like the guy who told me all I need to change my sheet vinyl over to tile was to lay some luan over it and go. Or simply sucks at the job, like the vehicle inspector who hit me on a car not having a catalytic convertor when it did (94 Toyota stock location, not something exotic). Had a guy come over to look at replacing the plywood on the front porch with composite deck boards. 36x8. Porch outer perimeter is concrete, a continuation of the foundation of the house, a kneewall really. If it were framed conventionally, there would be eight foot joists (I think 2x8x8, maybe 2x10x8 for extra solidity) running from the house out to the rim joist on top of the kneewall. And you would lay deck boards the long way, parallel to the long wall.

But, knowing the were laying ply, and I assume wanting to save case, they instead ran what looks like a 2x10 that way every eight feet or so, and ran the joists (2x6x8, 16 o.c.) parallel to the house. So you cannot lay the decking that way. So, guy was coming out while I was at work, sister in law told him how the decking had to run, and that he should take a look through the access hatch to see why. Of course, he couldn't bother with that, just told her if I wanted it that way, it was going to take a lot of blocking at extra expense..........

Why not just freakin listen, and look? What's so damn hard about sliding a catch and looking......... Now you are going to spend I don't know how long estimating based on stuff that isn't real.......

This is why I end up doing everything myself.

Then why do you bother wasting contractors time for an estimate?