Insulation contractor?

fromchaptico

Hi everyone,

My house is in need of yet another worker! I need to have partially fallen down insulation removed from my crawl spaces. I am not sure what will go in instead, as this is the beginning of a big HVAC project, and for right now I just need to have them cleaned out and the old insulation taken away so that the next round of contractors can see what they are doing for the purpose of estimates, etc. Any recommendations on someone to call for this? I won't do it myself - the crawl spaces are not my thing - and I do want someone who is insured and licensed or whatever.

As always, thank you! I have gotten so much good information and advice from this forum!

Hi everyone,

My house is in need of yet another worker! I need to have partially fallen down insulation removed from my crawl spaces. I am not sure what will go in instead, as this is the beginning of a big HVAC project, and for right now I just need to have them cleaned out and the old insulation taken away so that the next round of contractors can see what they are doing for the purpose of estimates, etc. Any recommendations on someone to call for this? I won't do it myself - the crawl spaces are not my thing - and I do want someone who is insured and licensed or whatever.

As always, thank you! I have gotten so much good information and advice from this forum!

That sounds like a job for a local handyman. It's not a big deal to remove and dispose of old insulation. If it's fiberglass, just need to wear some protective clothing and wear a mask.

Sorry, I don't have a recommendation for one, I'm my own handyman.

Freefaller

Hi everyone,

I've had good luck with G & B Insulation from La Plata, MD. My salesman was Joe Rollins. Their phone # is (301) 870-3525 or (301) 934-4824.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Big HVAC project? If you are getting ducting ran see if the HVAC contractor also does the insulation. Two birds one stone.

PeoplesElbow

Hi everyone,

FYI now it is considered better to insulate the walls of the crawl space instead of the floor of the house. What was recommended years ago has pretty much been recanted as far as insulating and circulation in crawl spaces.

fromchaptico

Big HVAC project? If you are getting ducting ran see if the HVAC contractor also does the insulation. Two birds one stone.

Chris0nllyn said:
And make sure they are at least insulating their duct work.

I am planning to put in a geothermal system to replace my existing oil furnace (+35 years old) and air/air cooling units (15 years old.) There is duct work under the house (and in the attic) for the existing air conditioning. I think that the existing insulation was poorly installed and that the ducts themselves were not properly insulated, which is why the old insulation has gotten wet from condensation and is now falling down. My idea is to let the geothermal contractors take a look under the house at the existing duct work, etc. and then recommend what they think is best for the new system and the house. At this point, I just want to get the crappy old stuff out of the crawl space so that the contractors can see what is going on in there. It has already complicated a termite treatment.

I am open to other ideas if anyone has them - I am trying to educated myself as I go here, and don't want to miss anything!

fromchaptico

FYI now it is considered better to insulate the walls of the crawl space instead of the floor of the house. What was recommended years ago has pretty much been recanted as far as insulating and circulation in crawl spaces.

I have heard that! My electrician told me about a project he recently worked on where they put plastic down on the floor of the crawl space, insulated the walls of the crawl space but NOT the floor of the house, and then cut holes in the ducts to condition the crawl space. It is supposed to be better for the house, and also make it easier to maintain the desired warm/cool conditions in the house. It sounded like an interesting idea to me - not so sure about cutting holes in the ducts though??

nutz

Accurate Insulation (301) 627-6506

Crawl space encapsulation, like everything else, has pro's and cons to it. A retrofit is not as good as a built from scratch. Excess moisture in the crawl space needs to be removed, but finding the source is the key. Is the foundation properly graded? Are all the downspouts directed away from the house? Does the crawl need a sump pump or dehumidifier? Is there a vapor barrier, is it intact?

PeoplesElbow

not so sure about cutting holes in the ducts though??

Yea I dont know about that one either. In the dead of winter my uninsulated crawlspace doesn't get that cold anyway.

It is probably better for moisture/mold.

In the 70's and 80's it was popular to put vents on crawl spaces to open up in the summer, problem is when that hot humid air gets into a cooler space the moisture condenses and you have a damp crawl space.

The dirt should no doubt have plastic covering it to keep the ground moisture out.

Just saw an ad on tv for Brasure Pest Control over on Delmarva. They showed an animation that removed the insulation, sealed the walls, added a dehumidifier, and did not put insulation back up under he floor.