"Go Set A Watchman"

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I read the first chapter of it and...meh. I'll skip it and read To Kill A Mockingbird again.

Memory:

When I was in 4th grade my elementary school shared a building with the Jr. High. I was walking down the hall with some friends and when I went past the 8th grade English room I looked at the window display to see what they were reading and said, "Huh...To Kill A Mockingturd." The teacher heard me and came out, pulled me into her classroom and demanded that I say in front of her class what I said in the hall. So I did.

Big mistake on her part.

The class burst into laughter and she was still trying to get control of them when my own teacher came to get me.

Unfortunately I ended up having that teacher when I got into 8th grade....and she remembered me. :ohwell:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I got my copy yesterday and stayed up reading until I finished it. The language is the exact same language used in TKAM. The perspective is different. And if you actually read TKAM, and then read this book, all the way through, with an understanding of the time it was written, it's just as amazing, but in a different way. I sat crying for a while after I finished it last night.

However, as I told my husband it's a bad time for a release of a book from her, especially due to the time frame that it was written in. I knew people would find it offensive and not even read it all the way through.

luvmygdaughters

I got my copy yesterday and stayed up reading until I finished it. The language is the exact same language used in TKAM. The perspective is different. And if you actually read TKAM, and then read this book, all the way through, with an understanding of the time it was written, it's just as amazing, but in a different way. I sat crying for a while after I finished it last night.

However, as I told my husband it's a bad time for a release of a book from her, especially due to the time frame that it was written in. I knew people would find it offensive and not even read it all the way through.

I think that's what I will do, read the whole thing in one sitting. I have to admit, I was anxious to get this book when it was first announced that it would be published, now by curiosity has been peaked more because of the whole Atticus Finch being a racist in this novel.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

media and the progressive internet are all a fluster ... over this, poor timing with the shootings last month

luvmygdaughters

Didn't get the book until yesterday evening, after working all day, fixing dinner, cleaning up the mess, taking the dog for her walk. To damn tired to start it. Gonna try it over the weekend.