22yr old college student blew 90k in 3 yrs - blames parents

22-year-old college student blows her $90,000 college fund and blames her parents

“Maybe they should have taught me to budget or something."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/a-college-student-blows-inheritance-bert-show-205833329.html

“I used it to budget for school clothes and college break money. I probably should have not done that. I took a trip to Europe. The Europe thing I thought was part of my education and that’s how I tried to justify that.”

“Maybe [my parents] should have taught me to budget or something. They never sat me down and had a real serious talk about it.”

“[My parents] said there was nothing they could do for me. They’re not being honest with me saying they don't have [money] because my dad has worked for like a million years and they have a retirement account.”

:jet:

And it keeps getting better and better as she keeps pleading her case....:doh:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
“I know they’re trying to teach me a lesson and blah blah blah and character building but, like, I hope they realize [working part-time] could have such a negative effect on my grades and as a person."

:roflmao:

Agee

that's just sad!

unfortunately, this a prevailing attitude amongst youth today...

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
That was an expensive life lesson to learn. I wonder what her major is. I bet it's not finance.

I've known a few 20 somethings that had wealthy parents that felt they were entitled to some of the loot without doing any actual effort for said cash. And notice that these people vote.

Make that bed sister and enjoy lying in it. But at least you got to go to Europe.

PeoplesElbow

If her tuition is 20k the original 90k would have most likely ran out by now anyway, even without blowing it on non-college expenses. I am guessing the tuition cost is being exaggerated.

Vince

Sha na na na, sha na na na na,
Sha na na na, sha na na na na,
Yip yip yip yip yip yip yip yip
Mum mum mum mum mum mum
Get a job Sha na na na, sha na na na na

If her tuition is 20k the original 90k would have most likely ran out by now anyway, even without blowing it on non-college expenses. I am guessing the tuition cost is being exaggerated.
I doubt it's being exaggerated at all... 20k per year is the median rather then the high end for two semesters of college if it included room and board.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
The thread title is a bit misleading. I thought this was going to be about some sort of dorm room debauchery.

Blister

Actually invested at a 4% return she would have money to spare if she only drew out $20k a year.

http://www.calculator.net/interest-calculator.html?cstartingprinciple=90000&cannualaddition=-20000&cmonthlyaddition=0&cadditionat1=beginning&cinterestrate=4&ccompound=annually&cyears=4&ctaxtrate=0&cinflationrate=3&printit=0&x=79&y=8

PeoplesElbow

As stated I was assuming tuition was 20k/year, rent/dorm/food about $5k/year, then there were the "break activities" and European trip.

Blister

I agree she blew it, but without the National Lampoon-like European Vacation, she could have made it thru on 90k without chipping her nail polish.