Aldi -- Overhyped?

HotPinkChicken

With the new Aldi in construction in SM, I decided to do a little research. Has anyone ever shopped at one? Thoughts? You have to insert a quarter to use a shopping basket. They only accept cash, debit, and EBT. No stock people. Items are placed on the sales floor palletized, like BJ's. There were other interesting practices too. Oh, and they sell home goods like sheets and towels, a la Super Walmart. I am convinced they'll be busy because they're new down here, but I just want to hear thoughts.

On an unrelated note, last week I was looking for a baby book for a cousin. The kind where you document the pregnancy and baby's first few years. I went to FOUR stores in SM, and nothing. I ended up going to Books A Million in Waldorf. A nice book store certainly would be nice over here.

GopherM

Darwin was right
We just moved to northwest Georgia and there is an Aldi here. We shop at it often. You get your quarter back so that is no big deal and it helps control the carts so they don't end up scattered all over the parking lot when some lazy azz can't put it back in the return area when it is only one space away from their car.

The prices are pretty great. The produce is really good. Last week they had blueberries for 89 cents a pint. The eggs and milk are a lot cheaper than at other stores. Like BJs they have their own store brand and everything we have tried so far has been of very good quality. It is not fancy, you have to bag your own stuff, they do take debit cards. We haven't tried a credit card yet.

We have been very satisfied with everything but there are some things we probably won't buy from there because of the quality of meats and other similar products at the Kroger.

There is no membership fee so you can't go wrong giving it a try.

dilligaf.

With the new Aldi in construction in SM, I decided to do a little research. Has anyone ever shopped at one? Thoughts? You have to insert a quarter to use a shopping basket. They only accept cash, debit, and EBT. No stock people. Items are placed on the sales floor palletized, like BJ's. There were other interesting practices too. Oh, and they sell home goods like sheets and towels, a la Super Walmart. I am convinced they'll be busy because they're new down here, but I just want to hear thoughts.

On an unrelated note, last week I was looking for a baby book for a cousin. The kind where you document the pregnancy and baby's first few years. I went to FOUR stores in SM, and nothing. I ended up going to Books A Million in Waldorf. A nice book store certainly would be nice over here.

Well of course I have shopped at one - actually have been to several different Aldi's. They are awesome. All grocery stores should adopt the same quarter borrowing plan. Aldi's isn't "new" here, there is one in Brandywine.

CrashTest

Well of course I have shopped at one - actually have been to several different Aldi's. They are awesome. All grocery stores should adopt the same quarter borrowing plan. Aldi's isn't "new" here, there is one in Brandywine.

California = the new Brandywine.

I wonder why they don't throw crap like this down on GMR? Plenty of space down there and plenty of paying customers.

SamSpade

With the new Aldi in construction in SM, I decided to do a little research. Has anyone ever shopped at one? Thoughts?

We went to the one in Brandywine about two months ago, just to get an idea what ours will be like. Like a lot of small stores we already shop, there were definitely items we would shop there for. Just about any store, you do have to get an idea about where everything is, where the bargains are and what things you can regularly get there, but I saw enormous potential. For example, I think I recall seeing an 8 oz block of cheese going for about two thirds what I see ON SALE elsewhere - and it was the regular price.

I won't be buying all my stuff there, but I don't do that with any store.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I went to one in VA. The quarter thing tripped me out at first, especially when we were leaving and somebody walked up to me, handed me a quarter and walked off with the empty cart. :lol: But after thinking about it, it does control the carts being returned.

The store had cheap wine (and I do mean cheap :barf:), and cheap food items with generic store name products. Now I have nothing against generic items, I just like to feel more comfortable with the store before buying nothing but generic stuff. And sometimes, generic isn't as good as the real thing. The store also had "seasonal" items, but it was like what you would find in a Big Lots or Dollar General. Nothing amazingly wonderful. Personally, I'd choose shopping at the Dollar General over Aldi.

GopherM

Darwin was right
The store had cheap wine (and I do mean cheap :barf:), and cheap food items with generic store name products.

I have been slightly tempted to try the cheap wine just as a kick to see what it is like. Just can't bring myself to do it. Their OJ is really good. The lemonade isn't too bad but tastes more like Country Time instant. You can't beat the price on the milk and eggs. They have a chocolate ice cream that we love. It is denser than normal ice creams and is like eating a bowl full of fudgesicles. We really love it and their fake Oreos are excellent. Everything we have gotten in fresh produce has been top quality.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Aldi's - basic Items, basic prices .... one of the places my wife goes, in between Wal-Mart Grocery runs

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I went to one in VA. The quarter thing tripped me out at first, especially when we were leaving and somebody walked up to me, handed me a quarter and walked off with the empty cart. :lol: But after thinking about it, it does control the carts being returned.

The store had cheap wine (and I do mean cheap :barf:), and cheap food items with generic store name products. Now I have nothing against generic items, I just like to feel more comfortable with the store before buying nothing but generic stuff. And sometimes, generic isn't as good as the real thing. The store also had "seasonal" items, but it was like what you would find in a Big Lots or Dollar General. Nothing amazingly wonderful. Personally, I'd choose shopping at the Dollar General over Aldi.
Cheap wine works for a lot of cooking projects. If it has to cook a long time you'll never know the difference.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I have been slightly tempted to try the cheap wine just as a kick to see what it is like. Just can't bring myself to do it. Their OJ is really good. The lemonade isn't too bad but tastes more like Country Time instant. You can't beat the price on the milk and eggs. They have a chocolate ice cream that we love. It is denser than normal ice creams and is like eating a bowl full of fudgesicles. We really love it and their fake Oreos are excellent. Everything we have gotten in fresh produce has been top quality.

I know they had two kinds of wine when I went. Whichever one has the owl on it, don't buy it.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I am not a wine connoisseur, but I know what I like. When I drink wine, I like the blush or rose wines - light, fruity (and maybe a hint of citrus) Currently, I love Sutter Home White Zinfandel and it's very good - it's usually a house wine when I go places and ask for a White Zin - and not expensive at all. :yay:

...and I don't get a headache from drinking just one glass!

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I am not a wine connoisseur, but I know what I like. When I drink wine, I like the blush or rose wines - light, fruity (and maybe a hint of citrus) Currently, I love Sutter Home White Zinfandel and it's very good - it's usually a house wine when I go places and ask for a White Zin - and not expensive at all. :yay:

...and I don't get a headache from drinking just one glass!

There's nothing wrong with an inexpensive wine. I've had quality wines that were $9 and crappy wines that were $80. However, wines can go bad, and some wines are just crap wines.