10 mill each... but with stipulations

I think it's great... :yay:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/...-dollar20m-inheritance/ar-AAdBE6q?ocid=TSHDHP

Marlena, 21, and Victoria, 17, will each inherit $10 million when they turn 35 but Laboz's will states that the daughters could earn early bonuses if they can prove that they are living according to his standards by finishing college, getting good jobs and not having children out of wedlock.

The Manhattan realtor had other strict hoops his daughters would have to jump through in order to earn the fortune he left behind.
Marlena will get $500,000 for tying the knot, but only if her husband signs a sworn statement promising to keep his hands off the cash.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I did read it. I love what he did.

I don't. Why set the expectation for your kids that money, YOUR money, is to be the point of their lives?

"All you have to do is make it to 35 and you get some money"

"If you want more money, do this as I say...do this, as I say..."

"If you want more money, you need to convince this person you met that term and condition..."

Maybe if I was rich I'd see it differently? I just see this as a short circuiting of their lives. "Never mind what you might become. The point of life is to conform to the wishes of others to be materially rewarded." I find this abhorrent.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Money is a great motivator to a lot of people.

No doubt and that's fine. Let them be motivated by pursuing it their way instead of his control and manipulation from the grave.

"Girls, money isn't every thing. It's the only thing."

On the other hand, even if it can't buy happiness, it can buy them a boat...and a truck to pull it...

I don't. Why set the expectation for your kids that money, YOUR money, is to be the point of their lives?

"All you have to do is make it to 35 and you get some money"

"If you want more money, do this as I say...do this, as I say..."

"If you want more money, you need to convince this person you met that term and condition..."

Maybe if I was rich I'd see it differently? I just see this as a short circuiting of their lives. "Never mind what you might become. The point of life is to conform to the wishes of others to be materially rewarded." I find this abhorrent.
I don't see it the way you see it.

It is his money. He doesn't have to leave them any of it. I see a father that is leaving behind young, immature adults and he does want to leave them sizable chunks of his fortune but he doesn't want his fortune the be a reason for them to bypass the normal experiences, expectations and personal growth he wishes for them.

My oldest is 22. I have watched him mature and become more aware with each passing year. If he had landed a windfall at the age of 18 he wouldn't have traveled the paths he has taken to become a skilled, decisive, calculating adult who is learning what it takes to handle finances, decisions and subsequent consequences, and other life lessons that only come from experiencing trials and tribulations.

I see this is what he is gifting his children along with safety nets set along the way in their life which if navigated smartly by them leaves them very well off and more aware.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I don't see it the way you see it.

It is his money. He doesn't have to leave them any of it. I see a father that is leaving behind young, immature adults and he does want to leave them sizable chunks of his fortune but he doesn't want his fortune the be a reason for them to bypass the normal experiences, expectations and personal growth he wishes for them.

My oldest is 22. I have watched him mature and become more aware with each passing year. If he had landed a windfall at the age of 18 he wouldn't have traveled the paths he has taken to become a skilled, decisive, calculating adult who is learning what it takes to handle finances, decisions and subsequent consequences, and other life lessons that only come from experiencing trials and tribulations.

I see this is what he is gifting his children along with safety nets set along the way in their life which if navigated smartly by them leaves them very well off and more aware.

There's a John Wayne movie where he is talking to his daughter, he's a rich rancher, and tells her he's only leaving her enough for her and her hubby to get started and if they want more, they gotta earn it. He says it in a way that makes clear the best times of his and her moms lives were when they were young and struggled to build their lives.

I used to think that made no sense when I was young but, as a I age, it makes more sense to me IF you agree with the view point that life is about the journey.

Maybe they'll be able to handle it and not look at is as the point; just do what you have to do to get that money?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I

My oldest is 22. I have watched him mature and become more aware with each passing year. If he had landed a windfall at the age of 18 he wouldn't have traveled the paths he has taken to become a skilled, decisive, calculating adult who is learning what it takes to handle finances, decisions and subsequent consequences, and other life lessons that only come from experiencing trials and tribulations. .

But, that's my point.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
So then your point is he shouldn't give them any money at all because that's the only way they'll be motivated to roll their sleeves up and learn to succeed in life.

No. I am not saying that that is the ONLY way. I am saying I have fears about HIS way and I HOPE you, and he, are correct, that it is a great thing. I'd be very happy to be wrong about this and they live happy, fulfilling lives and raise great kids.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I think its neat. He didn't have any crazy stipulations, only that they should have a decent job and not marry gold diggers. I would hope that's not going to ruin anyone's life plans :lmao: