How is State Farm Insurance still in business?

Blister

Luckily I have never had to hire a lawyer in my life, til now. I was hit by a State Farm client in April, their fault, no question as per Va.State Trooper. Now trying to settle hospital, doctor, & ambulance bills and cannot reach any claims rep. Spent an hour on hold this morning. Hung up called back, got apology, and was told I would be connected directly to claims rep., put on hold again, 20 minutes later hung up and called back, got another apology and told I was being connected directly to manager. Same hold song and dance. Called 1 final time and the operator promised to connect me to a human. She came back after 10 minutes and apologized saying she could not get anyone to the phone. Actually the last lady was very nice and understood my frustration.
So now I have a lawyer who will probably collect 10 times what I was looking for, just pay the medical bills and lost time from work and I would have been happy.

Blister

I was rearended 5 years ago by an Allstate driver, claim was settled with no issues at all. My son was hit by a Geico client in my vehicle a few years ago, no injury, truck repaired with absolutely no problems. My son also totalled my wifes car, his fault, and it was handled by our insurance, quickly and easily without a hiccup. The lawyer laughed when I said I was trying to handle a claim with SF by myself.

Blister

I am glad for all of you, if you had no problems with them. I won't worry about it anymore, they are the lawyers problem to deal with now.

Graymatter

I've had SF for over 20 years with no problems. I've had 4-5 accidents which were mine or other people's fault. Currently doing a claim from a rearending on the 235 speedway.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Luckily I have never had to hire a lawyer in my life, til now. I was hit by a State Farm client in April, their fault, no question as per Va.State Trooper. Now trying to settle hospital, doctor, & ambulance bills and cannot reach any claims rep. Spent an hour on hold this morning. Hung up called back, got apology, and was told I would be connected directly to claims rep., put on hold again, 20 minutes later hung up and called back, got another apology and told I was being connected directly to manager. Same hold song and dance. Called 1 final time and the operator promised to connect me to a human. She came back after 10 minutes and apologized saying she could not get anyone to the phone. Actually the last lady was very nice and understood my frustration.
So now I have a lawyer who will probably collect 10 times what I was looking for, just pay the medical bills and lost time from work and I would have been happy.

To answer your question.....State Farm Insurance is still in business because if you file a claim with them; like a comprehensive claim to get your vehicle repaired after an accident; whether the accident was your fault or not; they raise your premiums a certain percentage based on payments they make. My rates just went up 13.97% because I filed a claim to get my car fixed. According to the paperwork I received, it cost S.F. almost $1400 to fix my car. Regardless of the cost to the insurance company, rates are guaranteed to rise. Am I the only one who thinks I'm in the wrong business; and should instead be selling insurance?

lovinmaryland

my son recently had an accident in my vehicle hitting an animal (comp claim) once my vehicle was declared a total loss (the day after it was towed to the shop) I had my settlement check in hand in less than 48 hours. Not only that I about fell outta my chair when I was told how much the check would be for....lets just say it was well over what I had originally thought.

Super pain free experience. This was one of many state farm claim experiences.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
My DIL borrowed my daughter's car a few years back, and was banged up by a State Farm insuree that was at fault. The issue was cleared up in a few days, no issues, with SF paying it all.

Luck of the draw, I guess..

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Me?..I'm constantly amazed how incredibly ignorant the average poster is about economics in general and insurance in particular. So I guess I'm no "help".

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
If you involve your insurance it counts as a claim.. and your rates will go up.

I was hit by an uninsured motorist, who wasn't the car owner, last fall. My insurance company handled everything and my rate didn't go up.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Was the uninsured motorist arrested like they should have been?
Yes. He also didn't have a valid DL. All he got was 40 hours of community service. Not sure if anything happened to the person that owned the uninsured car.

Blister

I did not get my insurance involved because I was driving a take home employer owned vehicle. They seem to taking care of their responsibilties, but won't get involved in my claim against SF. After an hour and a half on hold with no one answering a phone or even able to leave a voicemail, I gave up and turned it over to a lawyer.The total claim is relatively very small and I did not see any reason to get lawyers involved. I am not trying to hit the lottery, just want the medical bills paid, and to be reimbursed for the sick leave I had to use. That part is being handled by others now, but it looks like I will play hell to get my personal tools and belongings replaced. The truck rear doors opened as I was spinning around 1 1/2 times, scattering my tools and meters over 6 lanes of Beltway. The claims Rep. said he needs pictures of my broken and lost tools. I left theft scene in an ambulance, and I guess Fairfax EMS thought getting the Beltway reopened at 0615 was more important than sweeping up my broken stuff and taking pictures of it.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I did not get my insurance involved because I was driving a take home employer owned vehicle. They seem to taking care of their responsibilties, but won't get involved in my claim against SF. After an hour and a half on hold with no one answering a phone or even able to leave a voicemail, I gave up and turned it over to a lawyer.The total claim is relatively very small and I did not see any reason to get lawyers involved. I am not trying to hit the lottery, just want the medical bills paid, and to be reimbursed for the sick leave I had to use. That part is being handled by others now, but it looks like I will play hell to get my personal tools and belongings replaced. The truck rear doors opened as I was spinning around 1 1/2 times, scattering my tools and meters over 6 lanes of Beltway. The claims Rep. said he needs pictures of my broken and lost tools. I left theft scene in an ambulance, and I guess Fairfax EMS thought getting the Beltway reopened at 0615 was more important than sweeping up my broken stuff and taking pictures of it.

So the insurers of the company owned vehicle won't act on your behalf?