Kerry Vacations

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
I think you missed the point, Shake. Kerry has harped on Bush's vacations previously yet he has missed 80% of the votes in the Senate. That means he did 1/5th of his elected job.

Bush still must respond whether he is on the golf course, at his ranch, etc... he is still working. It appears Kerry didn't even do that much. Yet, Kerry is quoted there as saying he will be working hard for the American people.

Shakezula

Insert Lame Innuendo Here
Are the stats for everyone's votes published anywhere?

because if Kerry is really doing that shitty of a job, and it was that big of a deal, I think he wouldn't have even been nominated.

SmallTown

Football season!
One thing that isn't clear from this is if he is missing the votes because he is out playing, or if because he is on the campaign trail.

ylexot

Super Genius
Shake, FromTexas is right. You missed the point. It's that whole glass houses and stones thing. Also, all government votes are easily accessible at Thomas. It may not be in an easy statistical format, but every vote John Kerry (and all other government officials) made is there.

One thing that isn't clear from this is if he is missing the votes because he is out playing, or if because he is on the campaign trail.
True. And to be fair, I'm sure he knows if a vote is going to go one way or the other and he probably doesn't need to be there unless a vote is going to be really close.

On the other side, just because Bush isn't at the White House, doesn't mean he isn't working. "At his ranch in Crawford, TX" does not necessarily mean he's on vacation.

Both the Kerry and Bush articles are about perception.

SamSpade

Re: Re: Kerry Vacations

Originally posted by Shakezula
Yes... is nice.
This is nice, too.

"Bush can proudly claim the longest presidential vacation in 32 years -- a month-long siesta in August 2001."

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/stories/2004/04/12/007.html

Yeehaw

Yeah, that's rich - a newspaper from Russia criticizing the US President.

Here's what Hitchens had to say regarding Fahrenheit 9/11

"President Bush is accused of taking too many lazy vacations. (What is that about, by the way? Isn't he supposed to be an unceasing planner for future aggressive wars?) But the shot of him "relaxing at Camp David" shows him side by side with Tony Blair. I say "shows," even though this photograph is on-screen so briefly that if you sneeze or blink, you won't recognize the other figure. A meeting with the prime minister of the United Kingdom, or at least with this prime minister, is not a goof-off.

The president is also captured in a well-worn TV news clip, on a golf course, making a boilerplate response to a question on terrorism and then asking the reporters to watch his drive. Well, that's what you get if you catch the president on a golf course. If Eisenhower had done this, as he often did, it would have been presented as calm statesmanship. If Clinton had done it, as he often did, it would have shown his charm. "

Also, regarding his 'vacation' in August 2001,

Here's a few notes on the President's schedule for
August 2001:
August 1, 2001: Nominated six US Attorneys, two judges for affirmation by Congress.
-----------Placed phone calls to PM Blair and Ahern to discuss matters between Britain and Northern Ireland.
-----------President announces an agreement on the Patients Bill of Rights
-----------President addresses National Urban League Conference
August 2, 2001: President meets with House and Senate education leaders.
August 3, 2001: Placed six more nominations for US Attorneys.
------------President speaks to press at meeting to discuss his first six months in office and the agenda for the future.
------------President attends a ceremony in East Room honoring Lance Armstrong.
August 4, 2001: President's Radio Address
August 7, 2001: Press conference in Waco, TX with pool of reporters.
August 8, 2001: President helps build a home with Habitat For Humanity, then addresses the group on faith-based and community initiatives.
August 9, 2001: Addressed the nation on stem-cell research.
August 10, 2001: Announces nomination of two US Ambassadors.
August 11, 2001: President's Radio Address
August 13, 2001: Presidential Ceremony to sign the Agriculture Supplemental Bill. President holds two press conferences with traveling White House pool.

The rest of the month had just as much, if not more, activity. I will omit it here to save space, but you can find complete information at the following sites:
White House, News releases for August 2001 http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2001/08/
White House Press Briefing, August 1, 2001 http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/briefings/20010801.html
White House Press Briefing, August 3, 2001 http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/briefings/20010803.html
White House Press Briefing, August 9, 2001 http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/briefings/20010809.html
White House Press Briefing, August 22, 2001 http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/briefings/20010822.html
White House Press Briefing, August 31, 2001 http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2001/08/20010831-15.html

The President was in Texas from August 7-13 and 21-25. The rest of the month was spent traveling to New Mexico, Colorado, Wisconsin, Missouri and then back to Washington at the end of the month. A review of the White House news archive for August 2001 shows this month to be anything but a vacation.

It is naïve to think that the President spent an entire month doing nothing, but this is typically what happens when you regurgitate someone else's propaganda.

ylexot

Super Genius
Thanks Sam. I knew that type of info had to be around somewhere, but didn't know where. :dork: on me for not thinking of just going straight to the White House web site.

SmallTown

Football season!
Re: Re: Re: Kerry Vacations

Originally posted by SamSpade
Also, regarding his 'vacation' in August 2001,

Here's a few notes on the President's schedule for
August 2001:
August 1, 2001: Nominated six US Attorneys, two judges for affirmation by Congress.
-----------Placed phone calls to PM Blair and Ahern to discuss matters between Britain and Northern Ireland.
-----------President announces an agreement on the Patients Bill of Rights
-----------President addresses National Urban League Conference
August 2, 2001: President meets with House and Senate education leaders.
August 3, 2001: Placed six more nominations for US Attorneys.
------------President speaks to press at meeting to discuss his first six months in office and the agenda for the future.
------------President attends a ceremony in East Room honoring Lance Armstrong.
August 4, 2001: President's Radio Address
August 7, 2001: Press conference in Waco, TX with pool of reporters.
August 8, 2001: President helps build a home with Habitat For Humanity, then addresses the group on faith-based and community initiatives.
August 9, 2001: Addressed the nation on stem-cell research.
August 11, 2001: President's Radio Address
August 13, 2001: Presidential Ceremony to sign the Agriculture Supplemental Bill. President holds two press conferences with traveling White House pool.

Wow! What an exhausting day that must have been! He must have been hitting the gym hard for at least three months prior to gain enough stamina to handle that day! :lmao:

tlatchaw

Not dead yet.
Y'know every man I've seen elected president goes in looking fairly young and vibrant and comes out looking old and dusty. Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, all the same. W too looks much older than the nearly four years he has held the office would have put on him.

The stress of that job has got to be the worst in the world. Name another job where you are asked to decide to wield that kind of power and responsibility. Any of them that take working vacations (yes, even Clinton) should be able to do so without reprimand.

I agree with the glass house theory on Kerry, though. He's throwing too many stones if all of those pics from Drudge have been taken recently when he could have been doing his job as a senator.

However, there's not enough information here to make a fair judgement. WHEN was he bowling, playing hockey and softball, hunting, etc? How much of that was campaign photo-op stuff? Seems to me that a guy that's trying to help his campaign out by losing his fossilized image might be doing things like that.

My conclusion? Both sides are just playing politics. Hey, it's the political season. :shrug:

SamSpade

Re: Re: Re: Re: Kerry Vacations

Originally posted by SmallTown

Wow! What an exhausting day that must have been! He must have been hitting the gym hard for at least three months prior to gain enough stamina to handle that day! :lmao:

Hey no kidding! When *I'M* on vacation, I love doing work, having my office call me all the time, and have the press photograph me while I'm trying to relax.

And of course, the news releases document *every* minute of the day, so we know he didn't meet with staff or anything.

The point is well made - *Congress* may have long sessions when they're all off, but when the President is "off", he's not. The comment that implied he did nothing but play golf on his ranch is just obviosly wrong.

Again - it's another one of the stupid stories people make up, because they've already decided they don't like the guy. Who needs *facts*?

rraley

I am sorry, but the Drudge Report is as fair and balanced as any Michael Moore documentary. These appear to be photo-op pictures, which any presidential candidate, if they want to win, will ensure they have. So what if Senator Kerry has missed 80% of his votes; he is doing far more for this nation by being an active campaigner against President Bush and offering a dialogue and choice in the election than by attending committee hearings and votes that are dominated by the Republican majority in the Senate. This is just an unfair attack on Senator Kerry, but well, what do you expect from Drudge.

SamSpade

Matt Drudge HIMSELF, when he is doing his own reporting is as you say. He tends towards yellow journalism, and it was him who sensationalized the Kerry/intern story which turned out to be nothing. He did also break the Lewinsky story, which, while salacious, turned out to be TRUE.

I go to Drudge a lot for a different reason - *MOST* of what he has on his site is just links to other articles, and almost always from the most reputable sources like the Post and the Times. He also has links to the major papers of the world, and to the columns of both liberal and conservative columnists.

If you listen to Matt Drudge on the radio or catch him in one of his rare TV appearances, there's little doubt he is conservative. Then again, being "balanced" isn't one of his claims. And even though his articles are a bit on the juicy side, a lot of the time he is simply quoting others.

I don't fault Kerry for all his recreational time unless he himself raises the charge that Bush is vacationing too much. I haven't heard that charge yet. He's boring as anything I've ever seen, but at least he's not rude and sarcastic and insulting, as Gore was.

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
Drudge hardly writes anything. He links to common news sources. Read the bottom and realize all the quotes and info came from an AP news story. He does have his own articles from time to time but rarely. His page is 90% links to other news sources (inluding many highly liberal opinion writers).

It is nice to see how informed you are instead of just pulling out the typical lib "Drudge is right wing writing!" crap.

:wink:

SamSpade

No, rraley does have a point - the page SUGGESTS that Kerry spends all his time vacationing while quoting Kerry making a snide remark about having to find Bush on vacation. It suggests it by placing them together.

I've been reading Drudge every day since the Lewinsky thing. He has had a few times when he was pushing it a little.

Spoiled

Some things you mus realize about this report...

a) im sure most senators arent present for 100% of the votes
b) he is also out campaigning
c) those are obviosuly public events, not true vacation... I know ide be upset if i was on vacation and photographers followed me... and ide be sure not to tell them where i was headed...

Steve

Enjoying life!
Roll Call Vote Analysis (for Kerry)

Year Voting Participation Party Support Presidential Support
2003 36% ---------------- 100% ---------------- 30%
2002 96% ---------------- 92% ----------------- 72%
2001 98% ---------------- 98% ----------------- 65%
2000 95% ---------------- 96% ---------------- 97%
1999 99% ---------------- 95% ---------------- 93%

Looks like Kerry was pretty well in attendance until he decided to run for President. I'd call that a significant drop from prior years, with an even lower (20%) rate for this year. Makes me think that candidates should resign their positions when they run for the White House. Oh, that would entail taking a risk though, wouldn't it? Do these guys continue to get their "Senator" salary while running for office? That's great work if you can get it!

Source: http://www.vote-smart.org/bio.php?can_id=S0421103

Spoiled

Originally posted by Steve
Roll Call Vote Analysis (for Kerry)

Year Voting Participation Party Support Presidential Support
2003 36% ---------------- 100% ---------------- 30%
2002 96% ---------------- 92% ----------------- 72%
2001 98% ---------------- 98% ----------------- 65%
2000 95% ---------------- 96% ---------------- 97%
1999 99% ---------------- 95% ---------------- 93%

Looks like Kerry was pretty well in attendance until he decided to run for President. I'd call that a significant drop from prior years, with an even lower (20%) rate for this year. Makes me think that candidates should resign their positions when they run for the White House. Oh, that would entail taking a risk though, wouldn't it? Do these guys continue to get their "Senator" salary while running for office? That's great work if you can get it!

Source: http://www.vote-smart.org/bio.php?can_id=S0421103
I maybe mistaken but you get your pay for the rest of your life if you are a senator... you get paid what all the other senators are paid (if you arent working and they get a raise you get on too)

Last edited:

ylexot

Super Genius
Originally posted by Spoiled
I maybe mistaken but you get your pay for the rest of your life if you are a senator... you get paid what all the other senators are paid (if you arent working and they get a raise you get on too)
I'm pretty sure that's not the case. However, I understand that they do have an amazing retirement package (free healthcare, etc).

Steve

Enjoying life!
If I read this correctly, they do not receive a pension until they reach at least 55 and have served a minimum of 30 years in the government. So a first term Senator like Edwards, unless he served for some combination of years/age, would not get any pension until he was 65 or so.

In other words, they do not get their salary for the rest of their lives; only if they have met the retirement criteria.