What do you know about Palmyra?

seekeroftruth

I found this link. The following is a quote from the link that I find relevant to the forum.

The old testament is rich in stories of Wise King Solomon.

Palmyra appears in the Bible (II Chronicles 8.4) as a desert city fortified by Solomon. (There is a mention of a city of Tamar in I Kings 9.18, also fortified by Solomon, which may refer to Tadmor but could also be a place near the Dead Sea.) Tadmor is also mentioned by Josephus (Antiquities, Book VIII) along with the Greek name of Palmyra, as a city built by Solomon.​

This is in the news today.

BEIRUT—Islamic State fighters blew up ruins of one of the most venerated temples in the ancient city of Palmyra, according to antigovernment activists, the latest attack in the extremist group’s campaign to rid Syria of what it views as un-Islamic artifacts.

It wasn’t immediately clear how much of the 2,000-year-old Temple of Bel remained after Sunday’s demolition, said the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a U.K.-based activist and monitoring group.

The Roman-era edifice, surrounded by stately, 59-foot-columns, was one of the most important religious buildings of the first century A.D., according to Unesco, the United Nations’ cultural agency.​

Remember what happened in Babylon?

Christians should remain aware.

:coffee:

onel0126

Bead mumbler
The destruction of priceless antiquities by these clowns irks me almost as much as the killings.

seekeroftruth

The destruction of priceless antiquities by these clowns irks me almost as much as the killings.

I know God is getting a little miffed!

I got this quote.

The Quran says Jesus did not die on the cross, but God made it appear that way to people. Furthermore, the Quran also says that Jesus was ascended to Heaven by God. Most Christians today insist Jesus was crucified and died on the cross, but two days later was resurrected.​

Christians should be in prayer.

:coffee:

cheezgrits

Thought pirate
The destruction of these places by an extreme element of a radical religion (Don't get me wrong, ALL religions seem to have extreme elements) is ridiculous. Trying to erase history is stupid, no matter if it is an ancient temple or confederate statues.

cheezgrits

Thought pirate
To the other point, Islam is not the only sect of religion that thinks this way:
The end of the life of Jesus on earth is as much involved in mystery as his birth, and indeed the greater part of his private life, except the three main years of his ministry. It is not profitable to discuss the many doubts and conjectures among the early Christians sects and among Muslims theologians. The Orthodox-Christian Churches make it a cardinal point of their doctrine that his life was taken on the Cross, that he died and was buried, that on the third day he rose in the body with his wounds intact, and walked about and conversed, and ate with his disciples, and was afterwards taken up bodily to heaven. This is necessary for the theological doctrine of blood sacrifice and vicarious atonement for sins, which is rejected by Islam. But some of the early Christian sects did not believe that Christ was killed on the cross. The Basilidans believed that someone else was substituted for him. The Docetate held that Christ never had a real physical or natural body, but only an apparent or phantom body, and that his crucifixion was only apparent, not real. The Marcionite Gospel (about A.C. 138) denied that Jesus was born, and merely said that he appeared in human form. The Gospel of St. Barnabas supported the theory of substitution on the Cross. The Quranic teaching is that Christ was not crucified nor killed by the Jews, not with standing certain apparent circumstances which produced that illusion in the minds of some of his enemies; that disputations, doubts, and conjectures on such matters are vain; and that he was taken up to Allah Almighty.

HTML:
http://www.islamawareness.net/Christianity/what_does_quran.html