Cpo 365

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Gone are the days of Chief's initiation, tacking on crows & pinning on wings/warfare pins. I guess they still have crossing the line ceremonies. How long before they are fighting naval battles with pillows?

Restitution

Gone are the days of Chief's initiation, tacking on crows & pinning on wings/warfare pins. I guess they still have crossing the line ceremonies. How long before they are fighting naval battles with pillows?

I went through all of that. In retrospect... it was all a huge waste of time. The nostalgia of tradition was the only thing that kept me going through initiation.

A big difference between the traditions you listed is time. Tacking on crows and pinning warfare took an hour. Initiation was a process that took WEEKS! I would rather have been working.

I'll put on my flack jacket now and await the "salty dog" comments...

NTNG

I was initiated in 1986. At the time, I did not know another 1st class who had previously been selected and initiated. So to me it was all new. A lot of it seemed pointless, but I took onboard some real lessons.
Times change, people change, societal norms change. I remember when DUI's were no big deal. The public outcry wasn't there, but slowly it became something that was not accepted. The public "stuff" that occurred when I was being trained is no longer tolerated, both by the public, as well as the Navy.
The Chiefs who were recently pinned are todays Chiefs. They are the leadership in todays Navy. Us retired CPOs can look back at what we went thru, grin about it, and tell sea stories. But in doing that, we need to be supportive of todays CPOs and not belittle their training period because it was not the same as ours. They are a part of our mess, and we should treat them as such.
Because that's what Chief's do...
Sorry, I'll step off the soap box now.

Coventry17

CPO 365 is a complete waste of time. Let's face it, not every E6 is going to, or more importantly, should NOT make Chief. You think the Rites of Passage and Initiation was a waste of time? It is nothing compared to the man hours wasted on trying to "train" E6's that neither want nor deserve it. The Rites were hard and very time consuming; that was the whole point! It taught you to multi-task, to excel in a team setting, to prioritze and ultimately to pick the battles worth fighting. Initiation? I could take it or leave it. It seemed like a lot of bravado and people doing stuff to you because it had been done to them.