Garbage Scows

sifl

There seems to be a constant stream of garbage scows running through Southern Maryland these days. It looks like they run through Leonardtown, down St. Andrews Church Road, and into Culvert County. I am going to guess that they are coming down 234, possibly from Virginia. Has Culvert County struck some trash hauling deal that results in a fleet of semi dumping rigs plying the roads of St. Mary's County?

sifl

Originally posted by jazz lady
St. Mary's ships their trash to Calvert, who then sends it to Virginia.
I wonder why they wouldn't build a transfer facility in Northern St. Mary's County instead of having the garbage travel all over Southern Maryland?

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by sifl
I wonder why they wouldn't build a transfer facility in Northern St. Mary's County instead of having the garbage travel all over Southern Maryland?
They closed the landfill in 2001 and, I think, determined it was cheaper to ship it to Calvert than build a holding facility or expand the landfill to hold more.

sifl

They closed the landfill in 2001 and, I think, determined it was cheaper to ship it to Calvert than build a holding facility or expand the landfill to hold more.
I wonder if they factored in elements like highway wear and tear, traffic and aesthetics?

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I wonder if they factored in elements like highway wear and tear, traffic and aesthetics?
I doubt it. There's a 299 page Comprehensive Solid Waste Management & Recycling Plan document here if you care to wade through it.

sifl

I doubt it. There's a 299 page Comprehensive Solid Waste Management & Recycling Plan document here if you care to wade through it.
Thank you. I'll print this out and leave it in the lavatory so I can ponder the consequences of my actions as they occur.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Thank you. I'll print this out and leave it in the lavatory so I can ponder the consequences of my actions as they occur.
You're welcome. Hope it all turns out well.